The Student Room Group

A-Level Tips Needed to achieve top Grades

Hello,

I recently finished my GCSE'S and I shall be starting A-levels in September.
I have mixed feelings about it as I've heard some people say they are so hard (like throwing a Y7 to fight against a wrestler).
I've been strongly thinking on whether to do some GCSE revision work to keep my brain in shape or just forget it.

I am going to do: Maths, Chemistry or Psychology, Physics and D.T.
Do you have any tips that would help me achieve the very best in A-levels?
If you have any tips for individual subjects then that would help me alot :yes:
I'm aiming for 4A's and I also need help in deciding whether to pick Psychology or Chemistry. I don't have an Interest in Psychology but people have told me it is the easy topic....
Help!?
Reply 1
Pick the subjects you enjoy the most. You'll end up regretting picking a subject you don't like.

Start revising as early as possible, make sure you organise all your folders and papers.

If possible, try and go ahead of the class. I went through C1 and C2 myself at a faster pace and I had a lot more time to consolidate my knowledge.
Reply 2
Original post by Khronus
Pick the subjects you enjoy the most. You'll end up regretting picking a subject you don't like.

Start revising as early as possible, make sure you organise all your folders and papers.

If possible, try and go ahead of the class. I went through C1 and C2 myself at a faster pace and I had a lot more time to consolidate my knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall go through C1 from the 13th of July.
For maths keep up with work throughout the year, understanding everything then do every past paper and youll easily get an A.
For physics try and understand the content and concepts fully so that you'll be able to answer the more difficult questions on them. And of course, do all the past papers.
Finally for chemistry buy this book to help with calculations,https://wordery.com/calculations-in-asa-level-chemistry-jim-clark-9780582411272currency=GBP&gtrck=UUc1a1I0ZGtzTkU1QVlCeC9tc3FOdDBsMEU4WDduMGVtdUxvMCtjdHVTb1pJUjhRMEpBejlwME5nSVRjbTF4VTh4b21HME9zMGVoSnQzaTJuZHlXenc9PQ&gclid=CNKWyKygxM0CFUI_Gwod3moJlgThen as with any a level, do more past papers. Start revising around Feb, and you'll easily get straight As. Good Luck:smile:
Reply 4
Just keep doing past papers, every single one and memorise patterns and mark schemes.
Reply 5
Original post by Bulletzone
Hello,

I have mixed feelings about it as I've heard some people say they are so hard (like throwing a Y7 to fight against a wrestler).
I've been strongly thinking on whether to do some GCSE revision work to keep my brain in shape or just forget it.

I'm aiming for 4A's and I also need help in deciding whether to pick Psychology or Chemistry. I don't have an Interest in Psychology but people have told me it is the easy topic....
Help!?

Just don't get distracted, especially when there's nothing left until finals start.
If you have an interest in chemistry, choose it because I didn't find it that difficult, people exaggerate a lot.
Reply 6
Original post by HopelessMedic
For maths keep up with work throughout the year, understanding everything then do every past paper and youll easily get an A.
For physics try and understand the content and concepts fully so that you'll be able to answer the more difficult questions on them. And of course, do all the past papers.
Finally for chemistry buy this book to help with calculations,https://wordery.com/calculations-in-asa-level-chemistry-jim-clark-9780582411272currency=GBP&gtrck=UUc1a1I0ZGtzTkU1QVlCeC9tc3FOdDBsMEU4WDduMGVtdUxvMCtjdHVTb1pJUjhRMEpBejlwME5nSVRjbTF4VTh4b21HME9zMGVoSnQzaTJuZHlXenc9PQ&gclid=CNKWyKygxM0CFUI_Gwod3moJlgThen as with any a level, do more past papers. Start revising around Feb, and you'll easily get straight As. Good Luck:smile:

Thank you very much, Did you do Maths and Physics?

Original post by Pato1
Just keep doing past papers, every single one and memorise patterns and mark schemes.

Thanks a lot!
Are you serious about memorise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
At AS there's a lot of memorising. Also do not leave revision too late, AS if very important and some students don't take it seriously enough.
Thank you very much, Did you do Maths and Physics?
Physics, maths and chem up to AS so far
Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall go through C1 from the 13th of July.

Believe me, you're going to have so much fun lol. C1 is very fun and easy to learn
If I was you, I would choose chemistry instead of psychology. All psychology is memorising full pages of work. Also chemistry is kinda easy. Make sure you understand the work, never just go about answering questions for the sake of it and memorising the past paper answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maria.x
Just don't get distracted, especially when there's nothing left until finals start.
If you have an interest in chemistry, choose it because I didn't find it that difficult, people exaggerate a lot.

Hmm thanks for the reassurance as people do claim chemistry to be the hardest. I never used to like it, but I grew fond of it, however I may only be taking Chemistry up to AS.
Original post by Pato1
At AS there's a lot of memorising. Also do not leave revision too late, AS if very important and some students don't take it seriously enough.

I'm thinking of going through everything from the beginning of September and I shall be making notes as I go along. Also I shall start revision in December/January, is this okay?

Original post by HFancy1997
If I was you, I would choose chemistry instead of psychology. All psychology is memorising full pages of work. Also chemistry is kinda easy. Make sure you understand the work, never just go about answering questions for the sake of it and memorising the past paper answers.

Thanks, Apparently there is alot of Case studies to remember as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Hmm thanks for the reassurance as people do claim chemistry to be the hardest. I never used to like it, but I grew fond of it, however I may only be taking Chemistry up to AS.

I'm thinking of going through everything from the beginning of September and I shall be making notes as I go along. Also I shall start revision in December/January, is this okay?

Thanks, Apparently there is alot of Case studies to remember as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is VERY easy to get an A in it once you're thorough with everything.
Hello,

Help!?

Don't give tourself work to do over summer! Honestly, A-levels are already hard, give yourself time for your brain to rest and relax. The summer should be the time for you to chill out and enjoy it, and mentally prepare yourself for your A-levels. As for choices, if you're not interested in psychology don't do it. I do it because I love it, and it maybe be easier than say chemistry but it is not easy by any means. Also, if you chose a subject that you don't enjoy it automatically becomes much harder as you don't have the motivation or will to study it!

Now for my tips (I got AAAA at AS, and I am predicted A*AA at A2):
1) do little often. DONT think that you can just cram it in a few days before the exam. In GCSE I could basically do no revision and come out with decent grades, but because A levels are so demanding, that won't work. Now I'm not saying start revising from the first day of school for your exams, but say if you have an end of topic yet coming up, do actually put the time and effort in to making revision materials and properly revising for it, because it makes revising SO much easier when it comes to the real thing.

2) DON'T stress yourself out too much - I'm not saying not to stress at all, stress is natural, but I mean do everything to reduce stress. So get your work done on time, have time to relax etc etc

3) stay organised! I can't stress this enough! Have a folder where you keep all of your notes in chronological order, because you really will regret not doing so once you get to exams! I didn't do it as much in year 12, really regretted it so I kicked myself up the butt for year 13.

4) look at the specification! Your specification will become your holy grail as it tells you exactly what you need to know, and what you DONT need to know! Making your life so much easier!

5) Mark schemes are great to look at for revision! After all they show you exactly what you need to say to get the marks! Especially with subjects where there are many short answer questions, like the sciences, Mark schemes saved my grades

6) past papers will become your best friend! Whilst looking over revision notes is a great way to revise, practice makes perfect, so doing past papers is the best way to help with your exam skills and revision.

7) this may sound stupid but always ask about something toure unsure of! Otherwise you're left not truly understanding a topic so once it gets back to actually having revising you will feel like you're learning it over again, rather than looking back over it.

Hope this helps!
Original post by maria.x
It is VERY easy to get an A in it once you're thorough with everything.

Yep, I agree...I think people dont like chemistry because they dont understand what they doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danuuutka
Don't give tourself work to do over summer! Honestly, A-levels are already hard, give yourself time for your brain to rest and relax. The summer should be the time for you to chill out and enjoy it, and mentally prepare yourself for your A-levels. As for choices, if you're not interested in psychology don't do it. I do it because I love it, and it maybe be easier than say chemistry but it is not easy by any means. Also, if you chose a subject that you don't enjoy it automatically becomes much harder as you don't have the motivation or will to study it!

1) do little often. DONT think that you can just cram it in a few days before the exam. In GCSE I could basically do no revision and come out with decent grades, but because A levels are so demanding, that won't work. Now I'm not saying start revising from the first day of school for your exams, but say if you have an end of topic yet coming up, do actually put the time and effort in to making revision materials and properly revising for it, because it makes revising SO much easier when it comes to the real thing.

2) DON'T stress yourself out too much - I'm not saying not to stress at all, stress is natural, but I mean do everything to reduce stress. So get your work done on time, have time to relax etc etc

3) stay organised! I can't stress this enough! Have a folder where you keep all of your notes in chronological order, because you really will regret not doing so once you get to exams! I didn't do it as much in year 12, really regretted it so I kicked myself up the butt for year 13.

4) look at the specification! Your specification will become your holy grail as it tells you exactly what you need to know, and what you DONT need to know! Making your life so much easier!

5) Mark schemes are great to look at for revision! After all they show you exactly what you need to say to get the marks! Especially with subjects where there are many short answer questions, like the sciences, Mark schemes saved my grades

6) past papers will become your best friend! Whilst looking over revision notes is a great way to revise, practice makes perfect, so doing past papers is the best way to help with your exam skills and revision.

7) this may sound stupid but always ask about something toure unsure of! Otherwise you're left not truly understanding a topic so once it gets back to actually having revising you will feel like you're learning it over again, rather than looking back over it.

Hope this helps!

This is the list you need to follow, especially 6 and 7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danuuutka

Hope this helps!

It really does help. Thanks :smile:

Only problem is they are changing the spec and stuff for me, so I shall have very little papers to revise over.

Bringing up you're first point about "do little often", Does this mean everything I come back from school I should go over what I did and make notes for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

Help!?

If you want an A then pick psychology .....
Don't get disheartened when you don't know what's happening at the start especially with physics, keep at it and it'll get better with time.

Don't always do all the Qs in the book, many are just copies of each other but if you need the confidence in a particular topic, do it. Not being confident with your ability will rekt you a whole lot.

Move forward if you're stuck. Sometimes another topic may spark what is needed in the previous plus you don't always have to follow the book. Pretty sure it's mentioned which topics are prerequisites for others.

Work your way up gradually - don't start revision bang dead on. Start early with like 30 - 45 mins per subject. Eventually you'll be so engrossed you won't know where 6 hours went (this is if you enjoy your subjects). They'll be some days however you won't do anything but play with your pen and beating yourself up over that is pointless.

Hope I at least helped :ninja:
It really does help. Thanks :smile:

Only problem is they are changing the spec and stuff for me, so I shall have very little papers to revise over.

Bringing up you're first point about "do little often", Does this mean everything I come back from school I should go over what I did and make notes for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally forgot about the spec change! However they did release a few specimen papers, which are essentially past papers of the new spec, so I think you'll be fine. Also you can still use some of the past papers from the old spec because certain types of questions haven't changed, but you can enquirer about that more when you're at school with your teachers.

And I mean, if you want to be that dedicated you can. I know I certainly wasn't, however I did revise thoroughly for each end of tooic assessment, and when it came to actual exams, I started revising in like March, so instead of doing 6 hours a day of revision, I was doing 1-3 depending on the topics (I made a timetable to keep me on top of what I had revised).

Quick Reply

Latest