The Student Room Group

This isn't democracy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
But you're the same! You only support democracy when it suits you!

What, let's just have more referendums until we get the 'right' answer?

If anything, it was the remain side that had the most money for campaigning, because all the banks supported them.

1466874779114.jpg

Not really. I never supported a referendum in the first place.
Reply 61
This was possibly the most democratic way this could've been decided. People voted for what they wanted, each vote was just as important as the next. There were no regional boundaries, there was no one with more than one vote. The majority got what the majority wanted
Original post by tanyapotter
Enlighten me then, because right now it seems like you are using a "personal tragedy" to hide the fact that there is no tangible evidence that you have been severely personally disadvantaged by the EU since our membership of it.

http://www.euronews.com/2015/10/02/farmers-suicides-the-rising-human-cost-of-the-eu-s-agriculture-crisis/

If you really must know, one of the people I looked up to in my life killed himself because his entire livelihood was crushed by ******** EU legislation that moronic liberal idiots like yourself who think you are all much cleverer than us like you actively support. Rather than admit failure to his wife and children, and that he had let them down, he went to the motorway and threw himself off a flyover in the early hours of the morning.

But I mean, who gives a **** right? Clearly nothing to do with the disgusting actions and pressures put on by the EU whilst they do whatever they can for corporates. Thousands are committing suicide all the time across Europe because of the actions of the EU who refuse to listen to them and do they listen? Do they ****? They don't give a **** because all they care about is their own warped ideological vision. For the past 8 years I have campaigned for leaving the EU because it is a corporatist racket that drives people into poverty, ruins businesses and livelihoods and costs lives.

Exactly the same **** as goes on in the United States of America. People at the bottom killing themselves all the time because of the pressures placed on them.

Now if you don't mind, **** off.
Original post by TheKian
This was possibly the most democratic way this could've been decided. People voted for what they wanted, each vote was just as important as the next. There were no regional boundaries, there was no one with more than one vote. The majority got what the majority wanted

It could have been handled better.

"Surely, the hurdle should have been a lot higher; for example, Brexit should have required, say, two popular votes spaced out over at least two years, followed by a 60% vote in the House of Commons. If Brexit still prevailed, at least we could know it was not just a one-time snapshot of a fragment of the population."

This seems perfect. ^
Original post by welshiee
http://www.euronews.com/2015/10/02/farmers-suicides-the-rising-human-cost-of-the-eu-s-agriculture-crisis/

If you really must know, one of the people I looked up to in my life killed himself because his entire livelihood was crushed by ******** EU legislation that moronic liberal idiots like yourself who think you are all much cleverer than us like you actively support. Rather than admit failure to his wife and children, and that he had let them down, he went to the motorway and threw himself off a flyover in the early hours of the morning.

But I mean, who gives a **** right? Clearly nothing to do with the disgusting actions and pressures put on by the EU whilst they do whatever they can for corporates. Thousands are committing suicide all the time across Europe because of the actions of the EU who refuse to listen to them and do they listen? Do they ****? They don't give a **** because all they care about is their own warped ideological vision. For the past 8 years I have campaigned for leaving the EU because it is a corporatist racket that drives people into poverty, ruins businesses and livelihoods and costs lives.

Exactly the same **** as goes on in the United States of America. People at the bottom killing themselves all the time because of the pressures placed on them.

Now if you don't mind, **** off.

That's sad. What specific part of EU legislation caused him to commit suicide? Genuinely curious.
Original post by Wimsett
(Read in bold) exactly

May I remind you that these are the same banks that sent us into recession just a few years ago.
That's sad. What specific part of EU legislation caused him to commit suicide? Genuinely curious.

A combination of the CAP and the EU ruling out quotas which was great for big business but meant that small farmers suffered big time.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

"Surely, the hurdle should have been a lot higher; for example, Brexit should have required, say, two popular votes spaced out over at least two years, followed by a 60% vote in the House of Commons. If Brexit still prevailed, at least we could know it was not just a one-time snapshot of a fragment of the population."

This seems perfect. ^

How can you say 72% of the population is a fragment?
Reply 68
Original post by Wimsett
Pft well you sound just like Jeremy Corbyn

Of all the people you could have picked :biggrin:

This seems perfect. ^

No, that is called "I want to have the system rigged to favour my preferred outcome" the more people push this *******s the more of a joke the country becomes

Posted from TSR Mobile

This seems perfect. ^

1466871736511.jpg

What a joke.

#neverendum
Original post by James82
How can you say 72% of the population is a fragment?

You left out the "one-time".

Original post by Jammy Duel
No, that is called "I want to have the system rigged to favour my preferred outcome" the more people push this *******s the more of a joke the country becomes

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you're wrong. How is that a way to rig a system?

Because it creates an inherent bias one way over the other...

Posted from TSR Mobile
A combination of the CAP and the EU ruling out quotas which was great for big business but meant that small farmers suffered big time.

Okay. And how does our leaving of the European Union improve the situation of the farmers? Shouldn't we have been pushing for reform in the EU instead of leaving these people in misery? If the EU disintegrates following the Brexit (which is what you want, I assume), then there will be uncertainty for a few decades, and then the EU will eventually reintegrate, hopefully emerging brighter and better than before. But in the time that lapses between now and then, recession and depression is going to hit us like NEVER before, and the poorest WILL suffer the most. Do you have any idea how many people could commit suicide here in the UK when they inevitably lose their jobs and livelihood?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Because it creates an inherent bias one way over the other...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet there are two opportunities to vote and a House of commons vote (which truly seals off the idea of a referendum being advisory/non-binding)?

I know, what's your point? I don't disagree that it was a one-time vote, i disagree that it was a fragment of the population.
Reply 76

This seems perfect. ^

But then that's not true democracy is it? It makes a vote to remain more valuable than a vote to leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay. And how does our leaving of the European Union improve the situation of the farmers?

We can get rid of the CAP and we can protect British farmers. When I heard that leave had won I had never been so happy in my life. It was a victory in a battle I had been fighting for so long. The sooner it becomes official the better so we can start protecting British farmers and fisherman.

Shouldn't we have been pushing for reform in the EU instead of leaving these people in misery?

The EU didn't want reform and its happy to continue to let people die to achieve its aims. Sad, but true. If the EU wanted reform the referendum wouldn't have been required in the first place.

Do you have any idea how many people could commit suicide here in the UK when they inevitably lose their jobs and livelihood?

People were already killing themselves before the referendum even come about. The cost of compliance is driving thousands to suicide across the entire EU region, plus austerity has also increased suicides in Greece but no one cares because as long as they can get cheap milk at TESCO who cares? The poorest are already suffering greatly. Inequality is up, homelessness is up and they're being demonised by councils who are actually making it illegal to be homeless (inhumane) and the EU continues to protect big business and hurt the people at the bottom.
We can get rid of the CAP and we can protect British farmers. When I heard that leave had won I had never been so happy in my life. It was a victory in a battle I had been fighting for so long. The sooner it becomes official the better so we can start protecting British farmers and fisherman.

The EU didn't want reform and its happy to continue to let people die to achieve its aims. Sad, but true. If the EU wanted reform the referendum wouldn't have been required in the first place.

People were already killing themselves before the referendum even come about. The cost of compliance is driving thousands to suicide across the entire EU region, plus austerity has also increased suicides in Greece but no one cares because as long as they can get cheap milk at TESCO who cares? The poorest are already suffering greatly. Inequality is up, homelessness is up and they're being demonised by councils who are actually making it illegal to be homeless (inhumane) and the EU continues to protect big business and hurt the people at the bottom.

Who is "we"? How do you know that our Tory government will listen to you and get rid of the CAP? Why are you under the assumption that our own government is any less bureaucratic than the one we've left behind in Brussels?
Who is "we"? How do you know that our Tory government will listen to you and get rid of the CAP? Why are you under the assumption that our own government is any less bureaucratic than the one we've left behind in Brussels?

Honestly, I don't and I don't trust the Tories one bit. I'm hoping for Labour to kick on and take advantage of the current disarray in the Tory camp. However, its a step in the right direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending