The Student Room Group

Will you guys just shut the **** up about losing the referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James82
Do you really think that a single leave voter voted for out because they wanted "all the EU policies implemented nationally"? If that is what you are protesting for then it is just as fascist as not respecting the will of the people in the referendum.

I am talking about things like worker's rights, farmer's rights, university and science funding and all that.
Original post by CharlesJH
Before you dismiss me "as an arrogant/ignorant Leave Voter", I am not completely chuffed with the results as well as many other people. I haven't really been following the referendum much since I have been busy with exams, and I was 50/50 on both sides of remain and leave. If I looked into it more, I feel as if I may lean towards remaining in the EU rather than leaving but I am not entirely sure, so we can agree partially at least. I am not going to discuss my own viewpoint of whether it is best that we leave or not, but I am into a "controversial" point.

Remain voters. You lost. Sorry. This is how a democracy works because we live in a democracy (surprisingly). You give the people the right to vote, and they decide how the country is run. You can be upset with the result sure, I am slightly as well, but you do not call for another referendum or throw a tantrum on how "unfair" it is; you just look like a spoiled child in a Tesco.
"But mummy, I wanted to remain!"
"Well tough **** Jimmy!".

What has been done, has been done. I'm obviously going to get the comment that "It's not a democracy because the posters were corrupt and misleading". Yes, campaigning methods were misleading, but aren't campaigning methods during other elections also "corrupt" and highly biased as well? This has been happening for years and years. Do I support this? No, I don't, it's pretty *****y to mislead the public to change their politicial view, but I doubt all leave voters voted because of toxic posters and random statistics thrown by the parties themselves. If you do that, you're a bit of an idiot. You look into the situation yourself from unbiased sources, and you decide what is called an opinion, a concept I think some of you cannot comprehend. And this still is a democracy, you still have the right to vote. I am going to get the comment that leave won by 2% (approximately) which "isn't a lot", and therefore want another referendum. Well, 2% is about 1 million + people, so you could say it is quite a bit, at least in my opinion.

So yeah. tl;dr stop ****ing whining, welcome to democracy. If you want to try and change a democratic vote and stop brexit from happening, then you're kinda a fascist...

No we will not stop until democracy has been heard. We deserve to stay and should stay. Scotland deserve independence, London deserve independence, NI deserve independence, Cambridge and Oxford deserve independence, Brighton deserve independence...the list goes on.

Democracy has been destroyed as a result of this referendum and it must be repaired
Reply 22
Original post by toronto353
Absolutely, but it 'defies the fundamental principles of liberal democracy' to keep re-running a vote until the electorate get the 'right answer'. I know it's the way the EU usually operates, but not on this occasion. Have discussions by all means, but for goodness sake stop the bloody petition.

100% agree with you right there.

Original post by Legendary Quest
I don't dispute that. What I am against is the notion of silencing your opposition purely because they are saying things you do not agree with. Remainers wanting a second referendum does not validate you wanting people to 'shut up'. Both are equally wrong.

Again, I'm not arguing in favour of the petition. I'm simply arguing that having discussions is part of democracy and telling people to shut up defies that.

I could understand that my choice of words was perhaps poor, "shut the **** up" does not sound the best really but I mainly said it in a sarcastic/jokey tone.
People can say whatever they want, I am against any form of silencing any opposition. Restricting any kind of free speech is wrong. That may have not been clear with my terrible choice of words.
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not entirely sure that you realise that this vote has screwed a lot of people over in a pretty massive way. They are absolutely entitled to complain about it.

Hopefully next week MPs reject the referendum and democracy is restored
Original post by Manchester_123
Hopefully next week MPs reject the referendum and democracy is restored

This isn't going to happen, unfortunately.
Reply 25
Original post by elen90
Wow you've done a really fantastic job of misconstruing statements there. :congrats:

OP: Given the tremendous repercussions of this referendum, I think we're fully entitled to complain for as long as we want. Maybe action will make the circumstances not so dire. We're certainly not going to 'shut up' because some people on the internet are annoyed that they have to see this.

I'm not entirely sure that you realise that this vote has screwed a lot of people over in a pretty massive way. They are absolutely entitled to complain about it.

Yes, they are entitled to complain about it. I even said in my original post that if you're unhappy with the vote, that is fine. This is a huge ****ing deal.
What I am unhappy about however is the calling for a second referendum and some people's lack of acceptance for the result.
Yes, they are entitled to complain about it. I even said in my original post that if you're unhappy with the vote, that is fine. This is a huge ****ing deal.
What I am unhappy about however is the calling for a second referendum and some people's lack of acceptance for the result.

There are an awful lot of people however who disagreed with this referendum being given in the first place, however.
Reply 27
Original post by Manchester_123
No we will not stop until democracy has been heard. We deserve to stay and should stay. Scotland deserve independence, London deserve independence, NI deserve independence, Cambridge and Oxford deserve independence, Brighton deserve independence...the list goes on.

Democracy has been destroyed as a result of this referendum and it must be repaired

I don't think you understand, democracy has been heard. Majority vote has won which is leave.
Democracy =/= Your opinion.
Reply 28
I don't think you understand, democracy has been heard. Majority vote has won which is leave.
Democracy =/= Your opinion.

Many people argue that this hasn't been democratic. Myself included.
Original post by oShahpo
Yea, but not a single remain voter based their opinion on WW3, the fall of the Western civilisation (both of which may very well happen in the near future if the EU falls), the Irish conflict, nor for Gibraltar (which again may very will happen).

We voted remain to avoid the fall of the economy (which is happening), to avoid the breaking of the union (which is happening), to avoid the fall of London as the commerce centre of Europe (which is happening), to avoid the rise of populist right (which is happening), what else do you need?

i) the pound dropping in the wake of uncertainty then stabilising soon after the BOE impose countermeasures to prevent it is not 'the fall of the economy'.

ii) Polls show that scotland still are not keen on leaving, and even if they do it is their right, to imply that the SNP weren't trying to leave while we were still in the EU is clearly wrong and they would have still been at it, so this is conjecture.

iiI) Clearly BS to anyone who has a clue, do you need me to explain it? 35% of the world's wealth flows through london each day, it is a global financial hub which was established long before the EU and is in no way dependent on the EU.

IV) Considering strong labour heartlands of the north to the the isles of Cornwall voted leave, to conflate leave with right wing is ill informed and disingenuous as im sure it has well been established that many labour voters voted leave.

But i thank you for dispelling the clear hypocrisy that people don't vote because some campaigners make ill informed or knee jerk comments out of passion or soundbite etc.
Original post by oShahpo
I am talking about things like worker's rights, farmer's rights, university and science funding and all that.

We can still have those rights and fund those things, but we decide what rights, and what funding, is in our interests and not have to be dictated by the bureaucrats in Brussels.
Original post by elen90
Wow you've done a really fantastic job of misconstruing statements there. :congrats:

OP: Given the tremendous repercussions of this referendum, I think we're fully entitled to complain for as long as we want. Maybe action will make the circumstances not so dire. We're certainly not going to 'shut up' because some people on the internet are annoyed that they have to see this.

Do you deny that the jist of these comments were made? if you do then you are more disingenuous than i thought you were.

Its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black to call that misconstruing then spout a load of nonsense about farage lying or backtracking on his promise to invest 350m in the EU which is just an outright lie or that Leave promised to halt all immigrants
Your attempt to silence the opposition defies the fundamental principles of liberal democracy: to have discussions.

and your attempt to revoke the decision of the UK people by having another referendum defies the principles of democracy.
Reply 33
Original post by AverageExcellence
Do you deny that the jist of these comments were made? if you do then you are more disingenuous than i thought you were.

Its a bit like the pot calling the kettle black to call that misconstruing then spout a load of nonsense about farage lying or backtracking on his promise to invest 350m in the EU which is just an outright lie or that Leave promised to halt all immigrants

Good lord, you just said so yourself that you were only referring to the 'jist' of comments. That says it all.

The 'jist' can be entirely subjective.
Reply 34
There are an awful lot of people however who disagreed with this referendum being given in the first place, however.

I personally do not know the specifics of the beginning of this referendum so I am not going to form an opinion on that.
However, I still feel that majority vote has won nonetheless. It is definitely not the best outcome for a lot of people, I can relate to that. But calling for a second referendum so quickly because people are unwilling to accept the result seems absurd to me at least. If you're not happy with the result, well that's a damn shame but we are still leaving the EU nonetheless. I feel leaving is going to have its pros and its cons.
I feel that if we call another referendum, the majority will come out with leave again and when that happens, people will want another referendum; in a constant loop.
Reply 35
Original post by elen90
Many people argue that this hasn't been democratic. Myself included.

I see there has been a vote amongst all UK citizens, and at least I'm sure that the votes were not rigged so, please elaborate of why it was undemocratic.
Original post by AverageExcellence
i) the pound dropping in the wake of uncertainty then stabilising soon after the BOE impose countermeasures to prevent it is not 'the fall of the economy'.

ii) Polls show that scotland still are not keen on leaving, and even if they do it is their right, to imply that the SNP weren't trying to leave while we were still in the EU is clearly wrong and they would have still been at it, so this is conjecture.

iiI) Clearly BS to anyone who has a clue, do you need me to explain it? 35% of the world's wealth flows through london each day, it is a global financial hub which was established long before the EU and is in no way dependent on the EU.

IV) Considering strong labour heartlands of the north to the the isles of Cornwall voted leave, to conflate leave with right wing is ill informed and disingenuous as im sure it has well been established that many labour voters voted leave.

But i thank you for dispelling the clear hypocrisy that people don't vote because some campaigners make ill informed or knee jerk comments out of passion or soundbite etc.

i) It literally was the fall of the economy (from 5th to 6th), and we haven't even left yet. It hasn't been a couple of days, the future will bring more. Not to mention the downgrading in credit rating. It may not end up being a recession, but only an idiot would deny that our economy is taking a massive hit and will endure more.
ii) They probably will leave due to the major rift between England and Scotland on this issue. They had a vote not too long ago and they voted to stay, what other massive, material changed could have lead to that prospect in the near future? Yea, none.
iii) It certainly is not dependent on the EU for its existence, but it will suffer greatly and for what?
iv) Have you considered the fact that a lot of people are now breaking off Labour for the fact they feel betrayed by them for supporting the EU? Why did Corbyn hesitate to support the EU? I'll tell you, because he knew that this could happen, and it will be the break down of Labour, specially in those places. Do you think there still will be any Brexit supporter of Labour?
I am not saying all Leave voters are right-wing extremists, but they have no other choice, who'll they vote for? UKIP, the party that got them rid off the EU? The conservative posh toshs? Or Labour the EU luvvies?
Original post by Razamataz666
and your attempt to revoke the decision of the UK people by having another referendum defies the principles of democracy.

Did I say I support a second referendum?

To quote myself:

What I am against is the notion of silencing your opposition purely because they are saying things you do not agree with. Remainers wanting a second referendum does not validate you wanting people to 'shut up'. Both are equally wrong.
I feel that if we call another referendum, the majority will come out with leave again and when that happens, people will want another referendum; in a constant loop.

It would of course be possible not to have another referendum and just to reject the outcome of this one, although I don't think that would be politically feasible.
Did I say I support a second referendum?

To quote myself:

i can confirm i was speaking in broad strokes about the general remain campaign, my point still stands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending