The Student Room Group

This isn't democracy.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James82
There was overwhelming support for the referendum to settle the question, all of the major parties backed the principle of a referendum and 89% of the public wanted one.

Both the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats had ruled out a referendum unless there were changes in the EU treaties so that point isn't correct.
Original post by DoctorDC
Rejecting democracy is fascism as you are disagreeing with the majority of the public and rejecting their view as it does not adhere to yours ! Study left wing fascism and you will see you tick tose boxes !

The public have been informed on this vote for about 2 years or so now. They were fully informed. Their have been numerous debates and publications for both sides. The referendum was announced long in advance. On the day people chose whether to go to the poles and vote or not. They voted to leave ! That is democracy in action I don't know where you have been if you have missed all this ?.

As a sideline did you know only 36% of 18-25year olds actually bothered to vote !!

It's arguable that a vote to leave was the majority decision, and it definitely does not feel like one.
Original post by Plagioclase
Because this is an incredibly complex decision which most of the electorate isn't in the slightest bit informed about. If there was a reasonable belief that the majority of the electorate would put genuine effort into understanding the complexity of the issue and would listen to expert advice then there wouldn't be an issue. But this clearly isn't the case, the majority of the justifications people have used for leaving the EU have either been reasons that have nothing to do with the EU, reasons that won't change by leaving the EU, reasons that are the fault of the UK government and angry people who don't want "to be told what to do by Brussels", despite not having the first clue of what that actually means. Representative Democracy exists because of the understanding that politics is complicated and key policy decisions - and this is policy, not a constitutional issue - should be made by people whose job it is to understand all of the facts and to make decisions based on evidence.

There being a high voter turnout has absolutely nothing to do with people being informed. There is also a massive difference between a general election, where you choose a group of politicians based on your values on a relatively short-term basis, and a decision like this which is highly technical and permanent. It has also repeatedly been shown that the electorate doesn't even understand basic facts about the issue. The Leave campaign also constantly lied and made promises that they knew they couldn't keep, and have already started to admit this. I do not understand why you think a vote on this basis is valid.

I now see why you're such a fan of the EU, you don't want a democracy, you want a technocratic society. If people can't be trusted in a referendum why can they in an election?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats had ruled out a referendum unless there were changes in the EU treaties so that point isn't correct.

There have been plenty of changes in the EU treaties over the last 43 years, that's why we needed a referendum and why both Conservatives and Labour voted in favour of the European Referendum Bill. Are you really considering the Liberal Democrats a major party with 8 seats?

There being a high voter turnout has absolutely nothing to do with people being informed.

This is a very biased statement because you're only saying this because you were on the wrong side of the coin, there are ignorant people on both sides of the specturm so blabbing on about the people being uninformed is quite frankly irrelevant.

There is also a massive difference between a general election, where you choose a group of politicians based on your values on a relatively short-term basis, and a decision like this which is highly technical and permanent. It has also repeatedly been shown that the electorate doesn't even understand basic facts about the issue

Again, I agree that a lot of people who participated in the votes do not really understand the issues and just voted based on what outsiders adviced them on, but that isn't only for the leave campaign, there were also people on the remain campaign that only secured votes because maybe their best friend thought it would be cool to vote remain, so don't act like every single remain voter is competent.

The Leave campaign also constantly lied and made promises that they knew they couldn't keep, and have already started to admit this. I do not understand why you think a vote on this basis is valid.

There were some deceptive things being said but the fact of the matter is just like all your other points, occured for both the remain and the leave campaign, so you can't really base your anger on the fact that one party spread lies when the other party also did the same thing.

Well there is clearly something wrong there because the European Referendum Act 2015 was passed 544-53

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
I now see why you're such a fan of the EU, you don't want a democracy, you want a technocratic society. If people can't be trusted in a referendum why can they in an election?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd be very much in favour of a more technocratic society, although I still fundamentally believe in democracy. But a belief in democracy is not the same thing as a belief in direct democracy.
Original post by JordanL_
No, because those leaflets weren't full of lies.

I keep asking what lies the remain voters told, and nobody's delivered so far. I keep hearing a lot of things from leavers who clam up when asked to explain. Maybe you can enlighten me?

Cameron initially said Turkey wasn't likely to join the EU until the year 3000. He then reduced it to 30 years. - low and behold in the last week of voting Turkey resumed its membership talks with the EU.

It was claimed Brexit would spark a trade war that would wreck the economy - this was dismissed by German economists and was considered unwise as it would also affect exports into the EU.

Cameron claimed reform of the EU's free movement rules would continue if the UK remained. Shortly after Junker stated that no changes to the free movement rules were considered or under discussion.

Cameron also claimed that his reforms allow unemployed Europeans to be kicked out of the country - no-one has been kicked out of the country.

Hariet Harmen stated that women have equal pay because of the EU. Actually we have equal pay because of the Equal Pay Act of 1970.

She also stated the EU gave us our anti discrimination laws - not true - the sex discrimiation act was passed in 1975.

It has been claimed that the eU will protect us from the Far Right - the Far Right has grown in almost all EU countries.

It is claimed we will loose workers rights if we left. The EU legislates a minimum of 20 days paid leave - 35 years before we joined the EU the UK had legislation in place granting 5 weeks paid leave ! In fact all our older laws go beyond the maximum stated in EU legislation with many in place long before the EU.

There are more !!
I'd be very much in favour of a more technocratic society, although I still fundamentally believe in democracy. But a belief in democracy is not the same thing as a belief in direct democracy.

Because direct democracy could give the "wrong" answer? The collective is normally right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
"This isn’t democracy; it is Russian roulette for republics. A decision of enormous consequence far greater even than amending a country’s constitution (of course, the United Kingdom lacks a written one) has been made without any appropriate checks and balances."

"Modern democracies have evolved systems of checks and balances to protect the interests of minorities and to avoid making uninformed decisions with catastrophic consequences."

"That’s why enacting, say, a constitutional amendment generally requires clearing far higher hurdles than passing a spending bill. Yet the current international standard for breaking up a country is arguably less demanding than a vote for lowering the drinking age."

Spoiler

I couldn't agree more, this isn't democracy in my eyes. For a modern democracy, I'm pretty shocked that such a detrimental decision could be left up to the general public alone with no system of checks and balances.

I don't applaud the US for their rigid way of going about things, infact I find it ridiculous that the "most powerful man in the world" has to fall to his knees in front of his own government in attempt to get certain things through and frequently to no avail but honestly, we really could have done with implementing some elements of this system of checks and balances in the recent referendum.

I don't know y a lot of u r complaining about the referendum.This is how DEMOCRACY WORKS, it is one person one vote and the majority wins, it is not an ideal system but the best system we know, and what do u mean by "checks and balances on the democratic system", if there were checks and balances that would not be a democracy, it would be like the democratic primary in US where super delegates have more power than the normal person just because the establishment thinks the are "intellectually superior" so the know what is best 4 u and me not us, This is FASCISM NOT DEMOCRACY. Again DEMOCRACY is ONE PERSON ONE VOTE WITH OUT CHECKS AND BALANCES!
(edited 7 years ago)
How will you leavers respond to the sons of EU citizens (who have been funding through their EU taxes UK universities) who want to UK that they will now have to pay the same tuition fees as an overseas citizen? It seems extremely unfair and ungrateful in my opinion, specially given that they have funded UK's education system as much as UK citizens have.
Original post by tanyapotter
It's arguable that a vote to leave was the majority decision, and it definitely does not feel like one.

So a majority of over 1.2 million is arguable ? That is greater than the poplation of our second largest city - birmingham !! With the highest voter turnout for over 10 years !
So a majority of over 1.2 million is arguable ? That is greater than the poplation of our second largest city - birmingham !! With the highest voter turnout for over 10 years !

Over 20, nearly 25

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arceus682
How will you leavers respond to the sons of EU citizens (who have been funding through their EU taxes UK universities) who want to UK that they will now have to pay the same tuition fees as an overseas citizen? It seems extremely unfair and ungrateful in my opinion, specially given that they have funded UK's education system as much as UK citizens have.

If they have been contributing long enough they should be applicable for citizenship ! If they were born here they should be applicable for citizenship !

If they haven't claimed citizenship even though they are eligable - they are probably avoiding paying the higher UK taxes !

Quite simply really. Because they are an overseas citizen and should pay what their education is worth without being subsidised by a foreign government.
If they have been contributing long enough they should be applicable for citizenship ! If they were born here they should be applicable for citizenship !

If they haven't claimed citizenship even though they are eligable - they are probably avoiding paying the higher UK taxes !

They are contributing from the common european funds, paid by common european taxes: Citizens of the European Union are all contributing to University funds all over the EU (including the UK).
Original post by James82
Quite simply really. Because they are an overseas citizen and should pay what their education is worth without being subsidised by a foreign government.

Not that simple. They have been contributing to that system for a long time. A chinese, a russian or a brazilian has never contributed through their direct taxes to pay for UK universities, while every EU citizen has.
They are contributing from the common european funds, paid by common european taxes: Citizens of the European Union are all contributing to University funds all over the EU (including the UK).

But why should somebody who is not a UK citizen get a UK education by only making a partial contribution to the cost of that education?
Not that simple. They have been contributing to that system for a long time. A chinese, a russian or a brazilian has never contributed through their direct taxes to pay for UK universities, while every EU citizen has.

You do realise foreign nationals have to pay taxes, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the UK had been a net beneficiary from the EU budget then I'd have some sympathy, but as the UK are a net contributor then I don't have any sympathy as quite clearly the haven't contributed to UK universities, they have inversely deprived them of funding they could have had if the UK weren't net contributors to the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending