The Student Room Group

Leave voters demand probe into MI5's role in Referendum

Leave voters have expressed outrage over MI5's handling of its responsibilities during the ballot count on the 23rd of June.

The referendum- which ended in Britain's dramatic commitment to leave the EU- boasted the largest turnout of voters since the 1992 general election. However, many leave voters have expressed their utter horror that it was allowed to happen.

We spoke to David Jones of Tintagel who had this to say:
"I mean, I voted to go but I knew that we wouldn't actually be leaving. Rob down the pub said that MI5 would make sure we stayed in, so I decided to go for a protest vote because of the EU's meddling in our politics."

When questioned on specific examples of the meddling which drove him to leave he through for a moment and said: "Iraq war?"

Connie Bluth of Chesterfield wrote in to share her thoughts with us: "It's disgusting that in a modern democracy we can't even rely on the security services to rig a ballot in order to keep us safe. What do I let them read my e-mail for anyway?"

A Mr JB of MI5 (name not given for security reasons) helped us to shed some light on the issue: "Under most circumstances MI5 would have intervened and swung the election. However owing to a higher than normal number of inked ballots we have been utterly powerless to influence the outcome."

The situation reached a flash point earlier today when a new petition launched in order to demand the government launch an enquiry into MI5's conduct, and if it could have done more to protect the country from Brexit. It currently has 0 signatures, with comments suggesting potential signatories are waiting for it to close before determining if it was worth signing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/4puoyi/leave_voters_demand_probe_into_mi5s_role_in/
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I genuinely dont get why leave voters say they voted Leave but they did not expect it to happen.It shows did not think of the consequences,they just voted to get back at the establishment.I honestly cant believe it.

If their surgeon was going to perform on them without planning it first,they would not go through with it.
Why cant they apply this same logic to the referendum? Its just an example of collective stupidity.
Reply 2

Apart from the final farcical paragraph, i actually believe most of the stuff written here, more's the pity!
Reply 3
Original post by Kadak
I genuinely dont get why leave voters say they voted Leave but they did not expect it to happen.It shows did not think of the consequences,they just voted to get back at the establishment.I honestly cant believe it.

If their surgeon was going to perform on them without planning it first,they would not go through with it.
Why cant they apply this same logic to the referendum? Its just an example of collective stupidity.

try to read between the lines okay?
I dont even get what the guy means.He needs to do some soul searching when a campaign wins with vague ,meaningless statements like "Lets take back the country",he and others voted for it.
Reply 5
far from it, the original post was a case of hegemonic reasoning, created to influence public opinion who reads it, in lieu of the pursued goal. Here being that of Bremain, with these voters, supposedly voting leave because they knew it would be overturned. Whereas in fact no one did any thing of the sort, and quoting from a pub is not accurate reporting, so i knew that this was a fake article as soon as i read that.
Original post by john2054
far from it, the original post was a case of hegemonic reasoning, created to influence public opinion who reads it, in lieu of the pursued goal. Here being that of Bremain, with these voters, supposedly voting leave because they knew it would be overturned. Whereas in fact no one did any thing of the sort, and quoting from a pub is not accurate reporting, so i knew that this was a fake article as soon as i read that.

It's satire, but some people absolutely did vote because they thought it wouldn't win.
Reply 7
Original post by JordanL_
It's satire, but some people absolutely did vote because they thought it wouldn't win.

I didn't vote leave, because i thought the bremains would walk it.
Referendum settled it, MI5 owes its allegiance to the Queen, not the EU.

Leave voters owe them an apology, as we may need them for a next Scottish referendum.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by otester
Referendum settled it, MI5 owes its allegiance to the Queen, no the EU.

Leave voters owe them an apology, as we may need them for a next Scottish referendum.

don't you mean that they owe the leave voters one? (an apology)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-man_uk_576cf8e4e4b08d2c5638ee29
don't you mean that they owe the leave voters one? (an apology)

Leave won?
Original post by otester
Leave won?

yes, but according to you, this was not thanks to the fbi. in fact, according to you, the fbi actively intervened to counter prevent this course of events from happening. And it was only due to unforeseen voter turnout, that their plan fell amiss. So yes, if their loyalty is to the queen and not the eu, they really do need to say sorry with their tail between their legs!
yes, but according to you, this was not thanks to the fbi. in fact, according to you, the fbi actively intervened to counter prevent this course of events from happening. And it was only due to unforeseen voter turnout, that their plan fell amiss. So yes, if their loyalty is to the queen and not the eu, they really do need to say sorry with their tail between their legs!

I don't remember saying that, if anything MI5 may have intervened and saved us from the EU.
There are always a few nutters to interview.

prove it
Original post by otester
Referendum settled it, MI5 owes its allegiance to the Queen, not the EU.

Well quite, Her Maj was very much a Leaver, if we believe the Sun.

I believe there was something of a contretemps between the CIA (Obama was a Remainer) and MI5 in a car park in Sheffield - the two vote rigging teams fell out and there were fisticuffs.
Reply 17
Original post by Kadak

No it isn't.What one person does with their vote bears no relation to what anyone else does.Or at least it shouldn't.

In any case I don't know which survey or surveys you are referring too but just because someone says they didn't expect leave to win doesn't mean that they would necessarily have changed their voting intention.

But if in fact there are people who would have voted the other way purely on the basis that they thought the way they were originally intending to vote was going to prevail that implies that they thought there was a reasonable chance that their one vote would be the deciding one.

Now that is what I call stupid.

Anyway 4% of people who voted remain wish they'd voted leave,lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by otester
I don't remember saying that, if anything MI5 may have intervened and saved us from the EU.

Ever Vote has been rigged for past 400 years since the fall of Holy Roman Empire
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I believe there was something of a contretemps between the CIA (Obama was a Remainer) and MI5 in a car park in Sheffield

Can confirm that CIA loves Meadowhall, but they really miss the Sheffield ski village.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending