The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Following the UK's vote to leave the European Union, I've made this joint statement with the Archbishop of York John Sentamu:"On Thursday, millions of people from across the United Kingdom voted in the referendum, and a majority expressed a desire that Britain’s future is to be outside the European UnionThe outcome of this referendum has been determined by the people of this country. It is now the responsibility of the Government, with the support of Parliament, to take full account of the outcome of the referendum, and, in the light of this, decide upon the next steps. This morning, the Prime Minister David Cameron has offered a framework for when this process might formally begin.

The vote to withdraw from the European Union means that now we must all reimagine both what it means to be the United Kingdom in an interdependent world and what values and virtues should shape and guide our relationships with others.As citizens of the United Kingdom, whatever our views during the referendum campaign, we must now unite in a common task to build a generous and forward looking country, contributing to human flourishing around the world. We must remain hospitable and compassionate, builders of bridges and not barriers. Many of those living among us and alongside us as neighbours, friends and work colleagues come from overseas and some will feel a deep sense of insecurity. We must respond by offering reassurance, by cherishing our wonderfully diverse society, and by affirming the unique contribution of each and every one.The referendum campaign has been vigorous and at times has caused hurt to those on one side or the other. We must therefore act with humility and courage being true to the principles that make the very best of our nation. Unity, hope and generosity will enable us to overcome the period of transition that will now happen, and to emerge confident and successful. The opportunities and challenges that face us as a nation and as global citizens are too significant for us to settle for less.As those who hope and trust in the living God, let us pray for all our leaders, especially for Prime Minister David Cameron in his remaining months in office. We also pray for leaders across Europe, and around the world, as they face this dramatic change. Let us pray especially that we may go forward to build a good United Kingdom that, though relating to the rest of Europe in a new way will play its part amongst the nations in the pursuit of the common good throughout the world."
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Almost 3m now. At what point does Parliament start to take seriously the huge discontent that sleepwalking out of our international way of life on the basis of a wafer thin vote is inevitably provoking?

We are not walking away from Europe We are walking away from the EU and its dictatorship ambitions If the EU wants to ditch its political ambitions then we can join. ITS THE EU that's leaving us by trying to take over Europe.
Reply 542
THREE Million
Original post by Midlander
What makes people think that the outcome would be any different? No matter how much I deplore the result and the moronic reasoning of Leavers, the fact is more of them showed up to vote for it and shows that the level of enthusiasm for staying was less than it was for going. That in itself is telling.

Besides, the streets will be paved with gold now that there will be no Poles so why is anyone complaining?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact that SO MANY voters have come forward and said they would change their mind
It's important to note that this petition was prepared before the vote on Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
THREE Million

Lets hope it gets to 17+ million by Novemeber... We need to beat the out vote.
Email every single person you know and people you don't.
We can do it if we keep on going..

Make sure they all email their MP, Number 10, Leaders of Labour and LibDems
Original post by 1010marina
The fact that SO MANY voters have come forward and said they would change their mind

It needs to be over a million nationwide and everyone else who voted Remain has to not have changed their mind as well. This is a subversion of the democratic process and I do not support it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 548
Original post by the IT MAN
Following the UK's vote to leave the European Union, I've made this joint statement with the Archbishop of York John Sentamu...

How is John these days? He's a lovely chap isn't he. Give him my regards.
One thing this petition does show is that if voting was electronic/internet based, younger people would turn out to vote in much larger numbers.

We have a governmental system using yesterday's methods to impose a solution from yesterday on the country.
Original post by FredOrJohn
Lets hope it gets to 17+ million by Novemeber... We need to beat the out vote.
Email every single person you know and people you don't.
We can do it if we keep on going..

Make sure they all email their MP, Number 10, Leaders of Labour and LibDems

I voted remain, but this is childish and pathetic tbf. Accept the result, the public has spoken. 3 million votes is nothing compared to the 17.4mil the out campaign got
If you didn't vote yet signed this petition, then you're scum tbf. If you can't be ****ed to vote until after the result doesn't go your way, you have absolutely no right to complain and are part of the problem.
If you by-pass the simple democratic process you have nothing, nothing but chaos. The young adults making these silly petitions and statements need to understand that if they destroy democracy and succeed in this ONE decision, that subsequently it will mean EVERY vote ever taken and made could and would be equally subverted. When that happens later on they will be up in arms when that subversion changes a result they voted for to a result they didn't want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 553
Original post by leinad2012
I voted remain, but this is childish and pathetic tbf. Accept the result, the public has spoken. 3 million votes is nothing compared to the 17.4mil the out campaign got

So 3 million is nothing? The difference between Leave and Remain was 1.3 million - was that nothing?

And 3 million is nearly a fifth, which is a pretty significant amount don't you think. Oh, and it's still rising.

3.5 million by tomorrow?
Reply 554
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Oh and whilst you are at it, please read everything you can on this website

www.eutruth.org.uk

which includes this:

The EU is an unelected 3 tier dictatorship on the soviet model, with a sham parliament in Brussels. In time, that's slavery for all of us.

The EU has bribed 28 Prime Ministers with £10 million per treaty to sign away their nations and their freedom. Ordinary Ministers get less. Its much cheaper than building weapons and going to war, as Adolf Hitler did. That is why all the establishment is wholly in favour of the EU.

Edward Heath’s bribe was money laundered to him as a Nobel Peace Prize.

Heath didn't get a Nobel Prize for Peace or anything else for that matter.

Stopped reading.
Original post by Realityspeaks
Do not hate me, but I really question whether for this referendum our current method of "democracy" was effective, or in fact appropriate. I have a few issues with it:

1) For such a long term decision, that will affect future generations and lives, not just a 4/5 yr period. How fair is it that a 92 yr old vote has the same weight as a 21 yr olds vote? The 21 yr old will live longer with the decision, it was significantly affect their prospects, their opportunities etc. Whilst, lets be honest, the 92yr old very likely doesn't have that long to live, and the vote will have little impact on their lives.
I am not saying they shouldn't vote, but how can theirs possibly be equal to a 21 yr olds?

What makes you think that that 21 year old knows more about how the world works than the 91 year old who's lived through it all?

2) Informed decision. As a medical student we are always learning about the importance of an "informed decision". A patient cannot consent to surgery for example, if they are not fully aware of the facts, the pro, the cons and the risk with opting in or opting out. You have to check do they understand, can they say it back to you?
And yet with this referendum, was the electorate properly educated? Did they truly know the weight of their decision? How is it such a decision can be given to people without ensuring they know everything?
Reading Daily Mail for a bit, does not equal informed.
Whilst i can understand the notion power to the people, should such a decision really be given to so many ignorant (in terms of the facts)?

In that case, you could say that every election and referendum up to now is invalid because people 'didn't know what they were voting for'. This is true of every single vote; there will always be uninformed people, on all sides of the debate. That is just a consequence of democracy, and even though they are uninformed, it is essential that they participate in politics to ensure faith in the political system.

3) Capacity. "the ability to use and understand info to make a decision, and communicate any decision made". Whilst on work experience there was an 87yr old with reduced capacity, he could speak etc, but never the less his capacity was reduced. He wasn't trusted to make the decision to consent to surgery, someone else had to make that decision for him. That wasn't done to spite him, that was done for his best interests, to safeguard him.
And yet that 87yr old was eligible to vote?

How is it he cant be trusted with making a decision on his own health? But he trusted to vote on the future of this country?

The government already has its own eligibility criteria for who can vote. I won't go into the specifics, but I'm not sure you're right in your fictional scenario, that a man under those conditions could vote. Even if he could, what you are proposing would invalidate every single vote up to date, same as before.
Original post by jneill
So 3 million is nothing? The difference between Leave and Remain was 1.3 million - was that nothing?

And 3 million is nearly a fifth, which is a pretty significant amount don't you think. Oh, and it's still rising.

3.5 million by tomorrow?

If more people from the UK vote in this petition and it exceeds the Leave vote I would be for another referendum, fact of the matter is this has been spread among remain voters on the internet massively, everywhere I go on social media I see this petition.

From a political point of view this petition is pretty much just some signatures by annoyed people who lost the referendum lol, and will have zero effect.
Original post by jneill

3.5 million by tomorrow?

So many of those signatures are from foreigners. I'll provide proof in a moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 558
Original post by Apocrypha
If more people from the UK vote in this petition and it exceeds the Leave vote I would be for another referendum, fact of the matter is this has been spread among remain voters on the internet massively, everywhere I go on social media I see this petition.

You're on :smile:

:five:
Reply 559
Original post by Abstract_Prism
So many of those signatures are from foreigners. The number that came from the GB is less than a million. I'll provide proof in a moment.

I'll be waiting...

(If you are looking in pastebin, etc don't bother - it's wrong.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4186723)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending