The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
I'll be waiting...

(If you are looking in pastebin, etc don't bother - it's wrong.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4186723)

Just make sure you email your local MP with your name and address and your reasons for signing the petition.

Keep on going.
Original post by Student1670
It's important to note that this petition was prepared before the vote on Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile

And by somebody in the leave camp.
calling for a 2nd referendum is logically unsound. the uk decided to democratically leave the EU. you can't call for a second referendum because you don't like the result of the first referendum. what if the result of the second referendum is to leave the EU? lets have a third, fourth, fifth, nth referendum until we get to stay in the EU. absurd!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One thing this petition does show is that if voting was electronic/internet based, younger people would turn out to vote in much larger numbers.

We have a governmental system using yesterday's methods to impose a solution from yesterday on the country.

If you can't be arsed to walk to a polling station or fill in a postal vote you can't complain about the outcome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 564
Original post by ParadoxSocks
And by somebody in the leave camp.

Source? (Hilarious if true)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check this out:

Something strange is going on with this :lol: yesterday it was a million short, and now it's nearly a million too high...
Original post by jneill
So 3 million is nothing? The difference between Leave and Remain was 1.3 million - was that nothing?

And 3 million is nearly a fifth, which is a pretty significant amount don't you think. Oh, and it's still rising.

3.5 million by tomorrow?

Whem 17.4mil voted out, then yes, it is nothing.
All this shows is that 20%+ of my fellow remain voters don't understand basic democracy. It's embarrassing considering everyone in this camp would say we wouldn't have another referendun if it was 52:48 to remain.
I am interested, this being a student website, if there is any correlation between asking for/not asking for a second referendum and asking/not asking for a remark of your A levels. Points of principle are being quoted and I was wondering if they held true across the board, i.e. being satisfied/not being satisfied with the first result you got.
Hehe.. Look at my avi :biggrin:
Reply 570
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I am interested, this being a student website, if there is any correlation between asking for/not asking for a second referendum and asking/not asking for a remark of your A levels. Points of principle are being quoted and I was wondering if they held true across the board, i.e. being satisfied/not being satisfied with the first result you got.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 571
Original post by Alexion
Check this out:

Something strange is going on with this :lol: yesterday it was a million short, and now it's nearly a million too high...

Seems ok at the moment

"signature_count":3100840,"created_at":"2016-05-23T23:39:38.957Z","updated_at":"2016-06-26T10:46:34.590Z"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Seems ok at the moment

"signature_count":3100840,"created_at":"2016-05-23T23:39:38.957Z","updated_at":"2016-06-26T10:46:34.590Z"

I assume the server's just not used to so much traffic so it's not working properly :lol:
If you look on the map of the petition you will see that the petition signatures are a mirror match when in comparison with the referendum vote. There are hardly any new regions lit up in the rest of the UK.

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=131215

Plus this petition can be signed by people outside of the UK so it means very little. For all we know it could be signed by thousands of Europeans.
The petition was framed before the results so I think the issue is not whether there should be a second referendum but whether the simple majority required was constitutionally acceptable. The Government does not technically have to trigger article 50 though that would seem very unlikely. For example Greece did not. My view is that the petition is therefore now more about a Parliamentary review than about another referendum. We have a democratically appointed Government in recognition of the fact that the business of governing is complex.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illegaltobepoor
If you look on the map of the petition you will see that the petition signatures are a mirror match when in comparison with the referendum vote. There are hardly any new regions lit up in the rest of the UK.

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=131215

Plus this petition can be signed by people outside of the UK so it means very little. For all we know it could be signed by thousands of Europeans.

96% are UK citizens, 4% aren't
Never have seen so many people sign something so stupid and so impossible.
Leave voters are hypocrites. This petition was set up by a LEAVE voter in case remain won. It has simply been hijacked by remain voters. Leave voters are ****ing hypocrites.

http://news.sky.com/story/1717815/second-referendum-petition-was-set-up-by-outer

Who are the anti-democrats now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending