The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
If you just stick with X (rather than involving Y) it's just finding the least value of n for which that has been satisfied. Similar to finding the value for a critical region but it has to be the first value that is greater than 0.9.

thank you :biggrin:
guys please help i'm never really sure which signs to use for hypothesis testing, like sometimes i use # instead of < or.s2.png
In this question i used # because it said whether or not, i want to know why its > and how it'd know for other questions ?
hate this module so much; so crap its unreal; wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
Original post by alvosm
in the book it says that we "should be able to derive it from first principles" so i guess it could come up. That would be the only derivative we have to know right?

yeah, i just looked at the spec. Examsolutions does it quite easily.
Original post by кяя
Yup my last one...finally. The worst feeling is getting your exam timetable and realizing just how much cramming and mental pain there is going to be for the next few weeks. LOL easier. Too bad A levels are getting even harder, with the new syllabus and all. I feel sorry for the younger kids.

Either geniuses or not putting in any real work

I thought it wasnt many exams, but the fact that its spread out over a whole month is kinda annoying, but better than intense cramming. And yh, i saw the spec of the new chemistry, and boy was i glad to be born one year earlier before them. :colonhash:
Original post by bat_man
I thought it wasnt many exams, but the fact that its spread out over a whole month is kinda annoying, but better than intense cramming. And yh, i saw the spec of the new chemistry, and boy was i glad to be born one year earlier before them. :colonhash:

Even all my teachers seem mad at the new spec. At least it gives some of the lazy teens a kick up the ass
Hi All,

What would you say apart from the solomon papers, was the hardest edexcel paper ?

Many thanks,

Will
guys please help i'm never really sure which signs to use for hypothesis testing, like sometimes i use # instead of < or.
In this question i used # because it said whether or not, i want to know why its > and how it'd know for other questions ?
Reply 269
[QUOTE="Bloom77;66112739"]
Original post by Bloom77
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466931385.585473.jpg

This is what I did so far: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466931423.250029.jpg

But how do you know it's not the first function but it's the second one?

Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe you would say that because F(a)=0.892, the max the first function can go is 0.6 which is when x=4. as F(a) is greater than 0.6, you would use the 2nd function. hope this helps
Reply 270
Did anyone else find the JUNE 14 R paper hard?
Probably a dumb question but your not expected to approximate a Poisson with binomial right? Also does it matter when doing a hypothesis test with a normal distribution whether you work out the probabilities or just use the Z values? Thanks
[QUOTE="r3h4f;66114959"]
Original post by Bloom77

I believe you would say that because F(a)=0.892, the max the first function can go is 0.6 which is when x=4. as F(a) is greater than 0.6, you would use the 2nd function. hope this helps

Omg thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LikeASomebody
Probably a dumb question but your not expected to approximate a Poisson with binomial right? Also does it matter when doing a hypothesis test with a normal distribution whether you work out the probabilities or just use the Z values? Thanks

No you don't but dont worry about it,

I think you need to work out the probabilities, but you do need to convert to Z values and look in the normal distribution table ?

If thats what you were asking.

But make sure you add a continuity correction in there , as you are approximating a discrete to a continuos random variable..

Enjoy and hope that helped

Will
Original post by taysc
Did anyone else find the JUNE 14 R paper hard?

Yep
The last question was particularly difficult
Not sure why the grade boundaries were quite high

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 275
which s2 paper is the hardest? i..e has the lowest grade boundaries
How do you know the area of a triangle is 0.5 in this question?
For part C

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942766.570577.jpg

Mark scheme
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942786.638736.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 277
Original post by ssd07
which s2 paper is the hardest? I..e has the lowest grade boundaries

june 14 r
58 a
Reply 278
Original post by Bloom77
How do you know the area of a triangle is 0.5 in this question?
For part C

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942766.570577.jpg

Mark scheme
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466942786.638736.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says the mode of x = the median of x.
The mode/median of x = 3.
Therefore triangle has to be 0.5 as F(m)=0.5

If you need me to explain it more just say
Original post by кяя
Even all my teachers seem mad at the new spec. At least it gives some of the lazy teens a kick up the ass

true that. Im just glad im not one of em.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending