The Student Room Group

Why was this decision even given to the British public?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsphysics91
Thats a bit elitist is it not?

Don't diverge the argument. That was a horrible thing to say. You have some major problems with your thought process. Not everything is black and white. If you don't want to live next to or with people because they aren't a similar race that's the very definition of racist... I just really can't understand how your brain works...
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
The majority of people did not feel that they were prospering from globalism and this is what you seem completely incapable of swallowing. An expert who owns houses in every major global city has nothing to say to poor people who have been left behind by the system from which he is profiting.

I was a remain voter, but I'm not a naive fool.

The poor people were left behind by our OWN Tory government, and benefited from the EU the most. Everyone knows this. Turkeys wishing for Christmas.
Original post by BioStudentx
Don't diverge the argument. That was a horrible thing to say. You have some major problems with your thought process. Not everything is black and white. If you don't want to live next to or with people because they aren't a similar race that's the very definition of racist... I just really can't understand how your brain works...

There is not an argument, I've just triggered a liberal leftie far from asafespace (although its not hard on TSR). Although, I'm unsure how me calling Germany Germanistan equates to me not wanting to live next to people of other races.

You remind me a lot of this guy aha

[video="youtube;ilCmywMin8I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCmywMin8I[/video]
For now, with the amount of civil unrest and record number of migrants still entering Germany will crumble first.

Germany would never be stupid enough to vote to leave the European Union, so by default they are better than us. Not to mention the stronger economy, better education, better investment in science and technology, better appreciation for the environment, and so on.

You can carry on being proud to be British, but I'm not going to agree with you. For me, there has never been a more shameful and embarrassing time to be British.
Reply 24
tanyapotter,having read your op I'm curious as to why you are so sure this is such a bad thing?

Do you have a degree in economics ?
Elegantly put from the A-level armchair economist :rofl:

Didn't expect you to ever digest facts anyway 🙃🙃🙃
There is not an argument, I've just triggered a liberal leftie far from asafespace (although its not hard on TSR). Although, I'm unsure how me calling Germany Germanistan equates to me not wanting to live next to people of other races.

You remind me a lot of this guy aha

[video="youtube;ilCmywMin8I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCmywMin8I[/video]

Except I'm not. I'm an ex-Muslim coming from a middle-eastern background who has to constantly read your passive-aggressive racist comments. Calling Germany "germanistan" because they've let some Syrian refugees in screams out racism and ignorance. I'm actually relatively far-right in my political beliefs and don't consider myself a liberal. But your arguments are just malicious. And you're malicious. I'm not saying you should have the same political beliefs as me - all I'm saying is that reading your posts over the past few days you come across as:
Personal,insulting, immature and difficult to reason with. I hope you learn to empathise with others and I certainly hope you're not like this in real life. Never ever have I seen someone on TSR so degrading.
Original post by tanyapotter
Germany would never be stupid enough to vote to leave the European Union, so by default they are better than us. Not to mention the stronger economy, better education, better investment in science and technology, better appreciation for the environment, and so on.

You can carry on being proud to be British, but I'm not going to agree with you. For me, there has never been a more shameful and embarrassing time to be British.

If Germany has such a good level of education are only 4 German universities in the the world top 100 (with the highest being 60) wheres the UK has 18?
Except I'm not. I'm an ex-Muslim coming from a middle-eastern background who has to constantly read your passive-aggressive racist comments. Calling Germany "germanistan" because they've let some Syrian refugees in screams out racism and ignorance. I'm actually relatively far-right in my political beliefs and don't consider myself a liberal. But your arguments are just malicious. And you're malicious. I'm not saying you should have the same political beliefs as me - all I'm saying is that reading your posts over the past few days you come across as:
Personal,insulting, immature and difficult to reason with. I hope you learn to empathise with others and I certainly hope you're not like this in real life. Never ever have I seen someone on TSR so degrading.

Surely you'd know that the sum of migrants from other country far exceeds those arriving from Syria.
Reply 29
You're so stupid. The leave "campaign" on TSR have spent days trying to convince everyone we're not all racists and then you say something like that. Jesus christ. That does sound like something a chav would say... You're pathetic.

Is that true!?

Have leave supporters on here been trying to convince others that they aren't racist?

**** that.
Original post by moggis
tanyapotter,having read your op I'm curious as to why you are so sure this is such a bad thing?

Do you have a degree in economics ?

I'm going to be studying engineering.

In the short run, uncertainty about Britain’s future relationship with the EU, its largest trading partner, could push the UK into a recession. Friday saw huge market volatility. The British pound has lost about 9 percent of its value since Thursday's vote, and Britain's FTSE 100 stock index lost 3 percent of its value in Friday trading. And that volatility reflects market worries about more severe consequences in the months ahead. With Cameron out of power, Britain’s prospects of negotiating a favourable deal with the EU could be weakened. The EU may decide to strike a hard bargain to discourage other countries from leaving the EU. Or the new leader might not be willing to accept the kind of restrictions that come with a Norway-style deal.And that could create serious problems for businesses based in the UK. It's unfortunately not common knowledge, and that's why I don't understand why the British were given this say.
The poor people were left behind by our OWN Tory government, and benefited from the EU the most. Everyone knows this. Turkeys wishing for Christmas.

When I say poor people, I mean White, working class, Brits from depressed coastal towns and ex-mining communities, the people who have been treated with utter contempt by the progressive ruling classes, of which both David Cameron and the Labour elite belong to.
If Germany has such a good level of education are only 4 German universities in the the world top 100 (with the highest being 60) wheres the UK has 18?

At least in Germany, half the country isn't struggling to get a C in GCSE maths. But Michael Gove's failures as education secretary is a whole other topic.

Many normal German people, well educated Germans who run businesses and work in skilled jobs hate Merkel and they hate the fact their money has been used to bail out failing Southern European economies, just as the people of Southern Europe hate the fact they have not been allowed to default and start again.
At least in Germany, half the country isn't struggling to get a C in GCSE maths. But Michael Gove's failures as education secretary is a whole other topic.

Sure, I'll give you that. But they seem to be struggling to get a good degree.
Why should they have had the power in the first place to undo 43 years of membership in the EU without being well informed about the consequences that would ensue? This matter should have been settled within parliament, where an overwhelming majority realised how terrible a Brexit would be for Great Britain - professionals who have studied law, politics, economics, etc. all their life. David Cameron is going to rue the day he ever gave into pressure from the Tory backbenchers. Even Boris Johnson and Michael Gove didn't want this to happen, but now "in the name of democracy" we're all going to suffer so unnecessarily.

you are correct that the experts were almost unequivocal on EU membership. however, this was on one issue - the economy.

this referendum was successfully won on the basis of national identity, democracy, and a vote against open door immigration. for me, short term market uncertainty is a price worth paying for the most fundamental of rights - the right to have a democratic government that is fully accountable for its policies. for instance, lower or raise VAT which we could not do due to an EU rule.

we would still be in the EU if all the eastern european countries had not been admitted. before that, the EU was not so much of an issue. british people's communities and livelihoods have been destroyed by this policy. it has caused the minimum wage to be a maximum wage for millions of people. zero hours contracts flourish because employers have free access to hundreds of millions of migrants from the EU.

we, as students, are not as affected by the consequences of mass unskilled migration. put yourself in the shoes of a builder who now works for a third of the wages he commanded 10 years ago, being lectured to by wet behind the ear students who have no life experience, let alone multi millionaire politicians and multi national corporations.

before you call me thick or xenophobic, i got a first in law, and am a descendent of SKILLED migrants who had to prove they offered skills in demand before being admitted to the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sorry but this notion that a bunch of privileged *******s out of touch with the real world in Westminster can make this decision for me is complete and utter nonsense. Most of these politicians live in an elitist London bubble and are so far removed from reality it is absolutely sickening. Again, when most of the country outside of London has been made to suffer for decades due to their London focused decisions, why should we again be made to suffer all because a bunch of privileged *******s decide to again make a decision again on our behalf?

The every day people are mostly affected by this decision and it is is them who should have, and did, rightly vote on it. In fact, over 30 million people voted in the election and the majority of those who voted wanted to leave. Most leave campaigners do not just care about money but they want quality of life to eventually improve whereby it has been declining in the UK and USA for the past few years whilst places like Canada, Norway, Switzerland and Australia are always at the top. Most leave voters are more than happy with the outcome and would vote for it again if they could, because they see the bigger picture, not just one that revolves around GDP and the economy.

Those who think its all about GDP have unfortunately become brainwashed by the Tory lies that have spread like wildfire in the past 20+ years, in fact, since that witch Thatcher was in power, who was happy for the UK to join a common market so she and her friends could exploit the common person in favour of big business, and that has been happening ever since. If you want to see what that leads to go and live in America whereby people live in segregated ghettos, drug use is rife as people try to escape reality and the homeless are demonised on the streets.

Seriously, just get over it. There is more to the UK than just the political elite and the London bubble and in the referendum you saw that because the majority of the country that resents you lot in every shape and form for the damage you've inflicted on people up and down the country from Yorkshire to Swansea to Cornwall has led to people having enough. Typically, the Londoners are all now complaining that its unfair to them but tough ****. No one cares just like you don't care when the rest of the country has barely ****ing survived for the best part of half a century.
Sure, I'll give you that. But they seem to be struggling to get a good degree.

Who, the British or the Germans?

In any case, the success of British universities is not least because of the talented lecturers, professors and research scientists that are allowed to come to this country to contribute to it. I'm already worried about how the standard of higher education will fall here once the integration of intellect and enthusiasm within European scientific discovery is restricted. Which is why I want to move as soon as I finish my masters.
Original post by woodchuck
you are correct that the experts were almost unequivocal on EU membership. however, this was on one issue - the economy.

this referendum was successfully won on the basis of national identity, democracy, and a vote against open door immigration. for me, short term market uncertainty is a price worth paying for the most fundamental of rights - the right to have a democratic government that is fully accountable for its policies. for instance, lower or raise VAT which we could not do due to an EU rule.

we would still be in the EU if all the eastern european countries had not been admitted. before that, the EU was not so much of an issue. british people's communities and livelihoods have been destroyed by this policy. it has caused the minimum wage to be a maximum wage for millions of people. zero hours contracts flourish because employers have free access to hundreds of millions of migrants from the EU.

we, as students, are not as affected by the consequences of mass unskilled migration. put yourself in the shoes of a builder who now works for a third of the wages he commanded 10 years ago, being lectured to by wet behind the ear students who have no life experience, let alone multi millionaire politicians and multi national corporations.

before you call me thick or xenophobic, i got a first in law, and am a descendent of SKILLED migrants who had to prove they offered skills in demand before being admitted to the UK.

I'm aware that immigration was a big issue, but unless we allow free movement anyway, we won't gain access to the single market like Norway has. How is a Brexit even going to come close to addressing the migration problems? France has already stopped border checks in Calais. They want us to take back control of our borders, and we're sitting here like complete squares still trying to process how badly we've ****ed up.
You're so stupid. The leave "campaign" on TSR have spent days trying to convince everyone we're not all racists and then you say something like that. Jesus christ. That does sound like something a chav would say... You're pathetic.

As much as I myself disliked the racism of the leave campaign, if you're going to shame member's of the White working class, you can hardly complain when the discussion turns into a mud slinging contest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending