The Student Room Group

Is Electronic Engineering a good degree to take?

Just wondering if the career prospects for this type of engineering may be worse than other disciplines e.g civil or mechanical engineering.
Original post by Mackiemcmasher
Just wondering if the career prospects for this type of engineering may be worse than other disciplines e.g civil or mechanical engineering.

Hi there,

The career prospects are definitely not any worse. What you'll want to focus on more is the career path you would like to take.

Electrical/electronic and mechanical will lead you down two very different routes. Electronic will focus a lot more on, you guessed it, circuits and systems. This can range from how electrical infrastructure is put in place to electrical systems on board vehicles to software engineering. The prospects will vary on the course content, I'd suggest reading up on the courses at different universities and you'll get a good idea of what you'll learn and where it could lead you.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
My sister is doing it. Even though its not as widely known as much as electrical, she enjoys it. And the modules are the same across all engineering for the first 2yrs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there,

The career prospects are definitely not any worse. What you'll want to focus on more is the career path you would like to take.

Electrical/electronic and mechanical will lead you down two very different routes. Electronic will focus a lot more on, you guessed it, circuits and systems. This can range from how electrical infrastructure is put in place to electrical systems on board vehicles to software engineering. The prospects will vary on the course content, I'd suggest reading up on the courses at different universities and you'll get a good idea of what you'll learn and where it could lead you.

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

It does, thank you very much.
Reply 4

Electronics actually has an excellent graduate career base. It's a rapidly developing market sector, what with it being the base for most technologies, so career prospects certainly aren't an issue for the subject. Gonna be studying it myself at So'ton next year (hopefully :lol:)
Original post by Alexion
Electronics actually has an excellent graduate career base. It's a rapidly developing market sector, what with it being the base for most technologies, so career prospects certainly aren't an issue for the subject. Gonna be studying it myself at So'ton next year (hopefully :lol:)

ok thank you, I guess electronics engineers will always be needed. I'm also looking at Southampton too! looks like a very good university, especially for electronics engineering.
Reply 6
It's a great degree!
Original post by Glib
It's a great degree!

Have you started/finished a degree in EE yet? If so what were some of the things you enjoyed over other types of engineering?
Reply 8
Have you started/finished a degree in EE yet? If so what were some of the things you enjoyed over other types of engineering?

I don't study EE myself. Any engineering degree is resectable and always in demand by employers.

This may be helpful
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/electronicsengineer.aspx
Reply 9
Im studying electrical and electronic engineering at a Uel campus in greece,im at the 3rd year of my studies and im wondering about the graduate prospects of a graduate from a low rank university.I might complete the course with 1st class and im also wondering if a msc from portsmouth will improve my chances to the job market.Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Hello @PeterPpp,

I'm in my Masters year studying Electronic Engineering at the University of Portsmouth (with a non British background myself) and I think I can help you with your question.

I've been studying at Portsmouth for 4 years now, and I've also been on a placement year, this delaying my studies by one year, so I've got the chance to see all my friends and colleagues finishing one year before me, and I can say that all of them have got into the job market straight after university, and obviously in relevant areas. And stats wise, Portsmouth students that finish any technological degree have an employability rate of 93% in the first 6 months after graduating, one of the highest in the country. Portsmouth might not be as prestigious as Cambridge or Oxford, but when it comes to hands on, practical engineering, is one of the most appreciated by industry and of the best places to be.

Portsmouth is an amazing place to study Electronic Engineering because its modern approach to teaching, its labs, and all the great equipment it has, making it a very good learning environment for a future engineer. All you learn in lectures also comes with a practical task to do - what we call Project Based Learning - so you get relevant hands on experience in every field you study: digital and analogue electronics, microwave electronics, signal processing etc.

All this projects that you work on will give practical skills to put on your CV, and that is exactly what the companies want to see, that you've actually worked on something, and built projects on your own. I've already secured a job for myself, and have been through all the interviewing process and I can say that the companies were very impressed with all the practical things I have done at university and my hands on experience in all the different fields I've studied, and this definitely gave me an edge over the other applicants.

Portsmouth as a city is an amazing place for a young engineer as well, because there are a lot of big engineering companies that are based within Portsmouth. Companies like: IBM, BAE systems, Airbus, Rolls Royce, all have sites in the Portsmouth city area, and they always try to get students from Portsmouth on their postgraduate programs.

So putting it in short terms: Yes, an MSC at Portsmouth in Electrical Engineering will open up a lot of opportunities for you, and if you are committed and willing to do your best in your MSC year, there will definitely be a lot of companies that will want you as their employee.
I am in Y12 now and have always wanted to study EEE in uni. I think I should be able to get into Imperial.

However, I saw this guy's answer in Quora which really scared me. https://www.quora.com/Is-Electrical-Engineering-a-good-career-option

What do you guys think about it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by hallzhuu
I am in Y12 now and have always wanted to study EEE in uni. I think I should be able to get into Imperial.

However, I saw this guy's answer in Quora which really scared me. https://www.quora.com/Is-Electrical-Engineering-a-good-career-option

What do you guys think about it?

I wouldn't judge a subject based on one person's experience, when there are many more people who succeed, I mean engineering has the most billionaires, although not that you would get anywhere near that through a job. Why are you so confident about getting into imperial, what are your predicted grades and extra circular etc ?
Original post by gninwoD
I wouldn't judge a subject based on one person's experience, when there are many more people who succeed, I mean engineering has the most billionaires, although not that you would get anywhere near that through a job. Why are you so confident about getting into imperial, what are your predicted grades and extra circular etc ?

Hi, thanks very much for replying.

I agree with you. I was probably just freaked out when I was reading it.

My grades are all top and I got a Top Gold in BPhO Rd 1 last Nov. I have also done projects with the Arduino, simple web app developing and stuff.

No matter what, I am pretty much committed to electronic engineering already, at least for uni and it's unlikely to change. I believe I will be happy being an electronic engineer as long as my job guarantees me a relatively decent standard of living. I mean, I wouldn't set being a billionaire as my life goal, but that guy makes it as if electronic engineers will end up begging on the street.

Of course, starting my own business is something to consider when the opportunity comes but that's surely too far to consider for now, as a Y12er!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hallzhuu
Hi, thanks very much for replying.

I agree with you. I was probably just freaked out when I was reading it.

My grades are all top and I got a Top Gold in BPhO Rd 1 last Nov. I have also done projects with the Arduino, simple web app developing and stuff.

No matter what, I am pretty much committed to electronic engineering already, at least for uni and it's unlikely to change. I believe I will be happy being an electronic engineer as long as my job guarantees me a relatively decent standard of living. I mean, I wouldn't set being a billionaire as my life goal, but that guy makes it as if electronic engineers will end up begging on the street.

Of course, starting my own business is something to consider when the opportunity comes but that's surely too far to consider for now, as a Y12er!

Check out engineered truth on youtube, I would like to be an electronic engineer too and work with arduinos and such and they have really opened my eyes to the reality of being an electronic engineer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UuLvTJp-I0
(edited 4 years ago)

The career opportunities arent really worse or better, just different.

Also every industry where you need civil, mechanical, aero, chemical engineer you also need electrical engineers, electronics just such a good source of cheap & efficient energy that its everywhere.

Also if you do a electrical engineering degree, prefer to do mechanical or civil later on you can do a BEng in electrical engineering then get an MSc in another discipline.

Yes, it's a good degree to take, if you enjoy it. Like many areas, job prospects for people that are good at it are great, so go for the sector that you enjoy the most.

Quick Reply

Latest