The Student Room Group

Why was this decision even given to the British public?

Scroll to see replies

? who put the referendum? is it the tories? is it the PM?????? huh?
@tanyapotter how old are you?
Original post by tanyapotter
Who, the British or the Germans?

In any case, the success of British universities is not least because of the talented lecturers, professors and research scientists that are allowed to come to this country to contribute to it. I'm already worried about how the standard of higher education will fall here once the integration of intellect and enthusiasm within European scientific discovery is restricted. Which is why I want to move as soon as I finish my masters.

I guess leaving the EU might at least bring us down to the lowly levels of education found at German universities.
Original post by welshiee
I'm sorry but this notion that a bunch of privileged *******s out of touch with the real world in Westminster can make this decision for me is complete and utter nonsense. Most of these politicians live in an elitist London bubble and are so far removed from reality it is absolutely sickening. Again, when most of the country outside of London has been made to suffer for decades due to their London focused decisions, why should we again be made to suffer all because a bunch of privileged *******s decide to again make a decision again on our behalf?

The every day people are mostly affected by this decision and it is is them who should have, and did, rightly vote on it. In fact, over 30 million people voted in the election and the majority of those who voted wanted to leave. Most leave campaigners do not just care about money but they want quality of life to eventually improve whereby it has been declining in the UK and USA for the past few years whilst places like Canada, Norway, Switzerland and Australia are always at the top. Most leave voters are more than happy with the outcome and would vote for it again if they could, because they see the bigger picture, not just one that revolves around GDP and the economy.

Those who think its all about GDP have unfortunately become brainwashed by the Tory lies that have spread like wildfire in the past 20+ years, in fact, since that witch Thatcher was in power, who was happy for the UK to join a common market so she and her friends could exploit the common person in favour of big business, and that has been happening ever since. If you want to see what that leads to go and live in America whereby people live in segregated ghettos, drug use is rife as people try to escape reality and the homeless are demonised on the streets.

Seriously, just get over it. There is more to the UK than just the political elite and the London bubble and in the referendum you saw that because the majority of the country that resents you lot in every shape and form for the damage you've inflicted on people up and down the country from Yorkshire to Swansea to Cornwall has led to people having enough. Typically, the Londoners are all now complaining that its unfair to them but tough ****. No one cares just like you don't care when the rest of the country has barely ****ing survived for the best part of half a century.

And you think giving power to the Tory government, who can never be trusted to rewrite the EU laws in a way that will protect workers' rights - or human rights, for that matter - is a solution. Okay.

Mate, this isnt Tinder.
Reply 45
At least in Germany, half the country isn't struggling to get a C in GCSE maths. But Michael Gove's failures as education secretary is a whole other topic.

I'm glad you brought that up because someone on another thread wanted there to be a test for people before they could vote.

But many issues that people don't understand they don't understand partly because of their appalling grasp of maths.
(So such a test would disenfranchise much of the electorate)

It does seem laughably rediculous to give so many innumerate people a vote that will affect the futures of 100 million people or more including those yet to be born on an issue where all kinds of large numbers necessarily play a part.

The fact is tanyapotter that you are probably right. Yet it's happened!

If someone had written a novel about the occurrences of the last few years in British politics it would surely have to be thought of as pure satire.

Edit . I'd definitely buy a copy mind:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsphysics91
I guess leaving the EU might at least bring us down to the lowly levels of education found at German universities.

Who hurt you at Durham bro?

And you think giving power to the Tory government, who can never be trusted to rewrite the EU laws in a way that will protect workers' rights - or human rights, for that matter - is a solution. Okay.

No. It would be nice if you stopped putting words in the mouths of others like a petulant child. The fact is, I want to force the Conservatives out and will now do everything in my power along with other campaigners to make that happen.

Mate, this isnt Tinder.

I have a girlfriend, thanks.

I was just curious as she comes across incredibly naive.
Mate, this isnt Tinder.

Who hurt you at Durham bro?

The hills I have to walk up.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
As much as I myself disliked the racism of the leave campaign, if you're going to shame member's of the White working class, you can hardly complain when the discussion turns into a mud slinging contest.

And yes. I dislike those people. They're lazy and don't take their education seriously whilst blaming immigrants for their own failures and being useless at life. Does that make me classist and elitist? Probably. The only reason people gives their limbs up to defend these people is either for votes or because they prefer an all white Britain.
Why should they have had the power in the first place to undo 43 years of membership in the EU without being well informed about the consequences that would ensue? This matter should have been settled within parliament, where an overwhelming majority realised how terrible a Brexit would be for Great Britain - professionals who have studied law, politics, economics, etc. all their life. David Cameron is going to rue the day he ever gave into pressure from the Tory backbenchers. Even Boris Johnson and Michael Gove didn't want this to happen, but now "in the name of democracy" we're all going to suffer so unnecessarily.

We shouldn't really have elections or referendums. Like you I am a firm believer of the system installing someone indefinitely as they see fit
No. It would be nice if you stopped putting words in the mouths of others like a petulant child. The fact is, I want to force the Conservatives out and will now do everything in my power along with other campaigners to make that happen.

I have a girlfriend, thanks.

I was just curious as she comes across incredibly naive.

Well, you're not going to force the Conservatives out unless serious reforms in the Labour party restore the faith of the working class. People are deeply dissatisfied with how disconnected Labour is to its core supporters, and that was an issue we should have addressed before holding this referendum.

And sorry that not everyone can relate to your farmer story.
It's called democracy. I hate to break it to you, but the privileged few are not always right and don't always have the best interests of everyone at heart. It's very very healthy to have such counter balances to power, and further into the future and the EU would have made them virtually impossible.
Original post by Manchester_123
We shouldn't really have elections or referendums. Like you I am a firm believer of the system installing someone indefinitely as they see fit

That's frightening. I'm sure Hitler and Stalin will rest well in their graves knowing so many still carry a torch for totalitarianism.
Well, you're not going to force the Conservatives out unless serious reforms in the Labour party restore the faith of the working class. People are deeply dissatisfied with how disconnected Labour is to its core supporters, and that was an issue we should have addressed before holding this referendum.

A large proportion of people voted because they have Old Labour values and once Corbyn gets rid of the Blairites he will win back their support.
Original post by BioStudentx
And yes. I dislike those people. They're lazy and don't take their education seriously whilst blaming immigrants for their own failures and being useless at life. Does that make me classist and elitist? Probably. The only reason people gives their limbs up to defend these people is either for votes or because they prefer an all white Britain.

Maybe they did not have the chance? You have very little ground to comment on the academic backgrounds of the working class (which by the way, built this country).
Original post by BioStudentx

I don't mind if you're classist or elitist, but don't start whining about racism if you can give it but not take it. Racism isn't a special prejudice which is worse than other forms of hate.
The hills I have to walk up.

I don't think your deep insecurity about British education stems from a bunch of elevated areas of terrain

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending