The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just read on twitter that LFC are still to sign both Zielinski and mane, jesus christ...

This is going to be the worst window ever.

Zielinski is a championship player (material), mane is a mid table player, and we're aiming for Top 4.

Never gonna happen

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Mane strikes me as a more than just a little inconsistent, to be honest.

I hope we keep Allen.

I agree

I wouldn't want us paying £30m for Mane when we wouldn't pay a little more than that for Teixiera in January.

I completely understand that for us the issue is more about whether a player wants to come than how much they cost, but I definitely think we could do better than Mane.
Regardless if we do sign him, he'll have my full support and I'll be optimistic that he can do well for us :smile:

I heard that we rejected an 8m bid for Allen. This pleases me - get this man a new contract please!
I'd be legitimately upset if we lost Allen this summer.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466932607.625770.jpg

I don't see anything wrong here...
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
What do u mean he sees something ? A manager always sees something in thier signings... but that doesn't mean shii... LVG Bought memphis depay and morgan scheiderland bcoz he saw something from them and then they ended up sucking the bench for more than 20 games.

Pep guardiola or whatever he's name is, bought ibrahimovic and alexis sanchez and they both proved to be catastrophic.

Just because Klopp is signing all these players doesnt mean they'll transform to something that will take us to TOP4.

The only good thing about this signing is that we probably wont be going for rubbish Zielinski (god only know what klopp saw in him)

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you can't trust the manager to pick the players for his squad, what is the point? End of the day you can complain to a degree (I complained about Benteke last summer) but if you're going to moan about every signing, you might as well start calling for Klopp to be sacked. Klopp has credit in the bank because he's done a decent job + his track record at Dortmund.

Original post by Lúcio
I agree

I wouldn't want us paying £30m for Mane when we wouldn't pay a little more than that for Teixiera in January.

I completely understand that for us the issue is more about whether a player wants to come than how much they cost, but I definitely think we could do better than Mane.
Regardless if we do sign him, he'll have my full support and I'll be optimistic that he can do well for us :smile:

I heard that we rejected an 8m bid for Allen. This pleases me - get this man a new contract please!
I'd be legitimately upset if we lost Allen this summer.

Texiera got sold for 50mil euros - we were never going to be able to outbid Jiangsu Suning who wanted a marquee signing.

£30mil is the new £20mil from 5 years ago. It's not the end of the world.

Nah just means we think we should be in the 10-15mil range for the price we get for Allen. If we were going to give him a new contract, it would've happened a while ago.
Why does anyone care if Allen goes? Is it because he looks like a more exotic player?

He is still a pretty poor player, too weak, no creativity. Just a fairly bog standard player :dontknow:

It seems like he has become a bit of a meme and people are buying into absolutely nothing of substance.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Why does anyone care if Allen goes? Is it because he looks like a more exotic player?

He is still a pretty poor player, too weak, no creativity. Just a fairly bog standard player :dontknow:

It seems like he has become a bit of a meme and people are buying into absolutely nothing of substance.

Nah we all know if Allen was from Spain/Brazil, we'd be all over him.

I think you're underestimating him just because he isn't a massively attacking player. He isn't gonna give you a Pirlo pass or a Gerrard long shot, but what he is gonna give you is consistency.

He'll come on and keep the ball. He'll keep possession. He'll somehow win headers against players much taller than him.
I agree he isn't a first team player it when you're winning 1-0 after 70 minutes, Allen is the player you want to bring on to calm things down.

He has been one of the best midfielders of the tournament so far and it's no accident.
Original post by Lúcio
Nah we all know if Allen was from Spain/Brazil, we'd be all over him.

I think you're underestimating him just because he isn't a massively attacking player. He isn't gonna give you a Pirlo pass or a Gerrard long shot, but what he is gonna give you is consistency.

He'll come on and keep the ball. He'll keep possession. He'll somehow win headers against players much taller than him.
I agree he isn't a first team player it when you're winning 1-0 after 70 minutes, Allen is the player you want to bring on to calm things down.

He has been one of the best midfielders of the tournament so far and it's no accident.

He's had 4 years to prove himself at Liverpool and he hasn't been able to. 129 appearances so it's not like he hasn't had game time. Would've been nice to keep Allen as a squad player for another year but he was going to get replaced sooner or later.
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Just read on twitter that LFC are still to sign both Zielinski and mane, jesus christ...

This is going to be the worst window ever.

Zielinski is a championship player (material), mane is a mid table player, and we're aiming for Top 4.

Never gonna happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

You absolutely have no idea, neither do I, about Zielenski's quality.

And I'm looking forward to Mane. It's not like Rodgers raiding English clubs because he has no knowledge of players outside of England. Pearce, Paul Joyce among others reported that Klopp has followed Mane since his time at Salzburg so I have confidence in him.
Original post by Zerforax
He's had 4 years to prove himself at Liverpool and he hasn't been able to. 129 appearances so it's not like he hasn't had game time. Would've been nice to keep Allen as a squad player for another year but he was going to get replaced sooner or later.

I'd sell Henderson before Allen. He was massive last season in big games.

To name a few, equalizer against Arsenal. At home to Man United in the Europa they were all over us until Allen came on and we coincidentally took back control of the midfield. And in *that* win against Dortmund, him coming on completely changed the game. He's also been fantastic in the Euros.

I won't be happy if we sell him (and keep Henderson), I'll be disgusted if we sell him for less than £15m. I know my Henderson opinion isn't popular but I'm not a fan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz

To name a few, equalizer against Arsenal. At home to Man United in the Europa they were all over us until Allen came on and we coincidentally took back control of the midfield. And in *that* win against Dortmund, him coming on completely changed the game. He's also been fantastic in the Euros.

I won't be happy if we sell him (and keep Henderson), I'll be disgusted if we sell him for less than £15m. I know my Henderson opinion isn't popular but I'm not a fan.

He's worth 15-20, but he'l go for 10-12 because he's in his last year of his contract.
Original post by Samiz

I'd do the same in a heartbeat.
When does the awkward situation come up when our supposed "captain" soon won't be good enough for our first team?

Like I said before, people underestimate him because he isn't the one scoring or assisting. He's the one stabilising the midfield, keeping possession so that others like Sturridge or Coutinho can get the goals and the glory.

His usefulness for Wales cannot be underestimated and that's why people love him so much. Yeah they have Bale and Ramsey but Allen is the one who gets the ball to them so they can do their thing.

He'll never be a world class player but he is the definition of the word "teammate".
We're looking to sign Mane for £30m whilst Man Utd are looking to sign Mikhitryan for £30m. Difference between the two sides. Think Klopp is overrated Bundesliga isn't the same as PL. klopp will fail at this rate.
Original post by LFC_fan_321
We're looking to sign Mane for £30m whilst Man Utd are looking to sign Mikhitryan for £30m. Difference between the two sides. Think Klopp is overrated Bundesliga isn't the same as PL. klopp will fail at this rate.

And what are the reported wages of those two m8
We have agreed a fee for Mane. £30m. Medical tomorrow.
Original post by Samiz

And yet Allen still rarely got the starts. Allen's obviously a great option off the bench but he's not good enough to be a starter for Liverpool. If Zeilinksi is the only other CM we sign, I'd say Henderson is starting in the midfield with Can for at least the first half of the season.

Henderson didn't have a great season by any stretch of the imagination but he was clearly hampered by his injury. The year before that he was one of our best players.

If Henderson can get free of this injury, he has a higher ceiling than Allen imo. Let's not forget that part of the reason why Allen has struggled to get into the first team is that whenever he looked decent and had a few starts, he regularly has gotten injured throughout his Liverpool career.

Original post by Lúcio
I'd do the same in a heartbeat.
When does the awkward situation come up when our supposed "captain" soon won't be good enough for our first team?

Like I said before, people underestimate him because he isn't the one scoring or assisting. He's the one stabilising the midfield, keeping possession so that others like Sturridge or Coutinho can get the goals and the glory.

His usefulness for Wales cannot be underestimated and that's why people love him so much. Yeah they have Bale and Ramsey but Allen is the one who gets the ball to them so they can do their thing.

He'll never be a world class player but he is the definition of the word "teammate".

At this moment in time, with Zeilinkski being the only CM properly linked - who's getting ahead of Henderson to partner Emre Can?

Everything you've said about Allen applies to Henderson in terms of doing work for his teammates. A Henderson/Can has much more balance than any other combination we've been able to offer.

Original post by LFC_fan_321

Mkhitaryan only has a year left on his contract. Let's not forget that Mkhitaryan played under Klopp for 2 years at Dortmund so Klopp has a much better idea if he's the player who would make more sense for Liverpool. We obviously have the money since we were offering similar fee/wages for Gotze. Maybe Mkhitaryan and Klopp don't have the best relationship?

Original post by TaintedLight
And what are the reported wages of those two m8

Hmm I'm not convinced it will be hugely different? Surely Mane coming for 30mil to us would still demand at least 100k a week? Mkhitaryan probably in that 100-150k a week too since Dortmund don't offer the highest wages?
Thoughts on Mane being your main signing after thinking Gotze would be the first of more quality additions?

Let down or nah?
Original post by mr tim
We have agreed a fee for Mane. £30m. Medical tomorrow.

Makes you wonder if FSG should've just bought Southampton and made them our feeder club?

On a serious note - Mane will add some pace to our right flank which is currently missing. Coutinho can move quick with the ball but he doesn't have out and out pace. Sturridge seems to have lost a yard and Origi isn't the fastest over the first few yards even if he has good pace over longer distances.

I think Mane will add some proper balance to our side and give us another option.

Who drops out from Coutinho/Firmino/Lallana for Mane? How much further is Milner from the starting XI now?
Starting to think that Klopp doesn't have the final say and many of these signigns we're linked to/get are committee signings. We're still going for the same type of players that we would under BR (Southampton players, midtable players etc).
Original post by Dirtybit
Thoughts on Mane being your main signing after thinking Gotze would be the first of more quality additions?

Let down or nah?

Meh, might as well be optimistic. Mane - although inconsistent - has shown top class ability in the PL at times and on his day can win a game single handedly.

It's just a matter of whether or not he'll fit with the team and develop consistency.
If Klopp is willing to spend £30m on him then he must see something, so as fans we'll back him.
Original post by Lúcio
Meh, might as well be optimistic. Mane - although inconsistent - has shown top class ability in the PL at times and on his day can win a game single handedly.

It's just a matter of whether or not he'll fit with the team and develop consistency.
If Klopp is willing to spend £30m on him then he must see something, so as fans we'll back him.

So did Benteke, Balotelli the list goes on :smile:

Latest