The Student Room Group

Do Oxbridge Universities Accept Short Courses?

Does anyone know how Oxbridge Universities deal with short course GCSEs? Do they count them as half GCSEs? Do they look less favourably on people with (one or two) short course GCSEs?

Thanks in advance :smile:
The only evidence I have is that on this page they express the statistics without including short courses. This implies to me that at least the medicine department at Oxford probably doesn't count short courses, but tbh I really don't know.
Reply 2
Original post by archipelaglobule
Does anyone know how Oxbridge Universities deal with short course GCSEs? Do they count them as half GCSEs? Do they look less favourably on people with (one or two) short course GCSEs?

Thanks in advance :smile:

What other GCSEs do you have? Assuming it's a typical profile and you aren't relying on the short course GCSEs I'm sure you'll be fine.

GCSEs themselves aren't the most important aspect of your application anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in Year 11. There is a short course GCSE available, and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth doing it. I'm predicted 10 A*s and 1 A in the GCSEs I've taken.
Reply 4
I'm in Year 11. There is a short course GCSE available, and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth doing it. I'm predicted 10 A*s and 1 A in the GCSEs I've taken.

So would you do it in Y12? I wouldn't recommend it. Focus on your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't unless you're really interested in the subject and want to do it for non-academic reasons. 11 is enough.
Original post by jneill
So would you do it in Y12? I wouldn't recommend it. Focus on your A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd do it next week. If I didn't do well, though (which might be likely), I suppose I would have to resit in Y12?
Reply 7
I'd do it next week. If I didn't do well, though (which might be likely), I suppose I would have to resit in Y12?

No point doing it now if you think you'll do poorly, and certainly no point distracting yourself by resitting it in Y12.

And don't forget all qualifications will need to declared on UCAS. Even bad ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Don't do it. Your A Level studies are much more important.

Erm, definitely definitely don't do it then! Obviously...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending