The Student Room Group

Should people on probation be allowed to work ?

So one of my fellow colleagues told me they're currently on probation yesterday and I was quite thrown by this, as I thought they had a bit of an anger issue but didn't think they had been in trouble with the law... Do you think people on probation should go through more rigorous assessment before being allowed to work ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fefssdf
So one of my fellow colleagues told me they're currently on probation yesterday and I was quite thrown by this, as I thought they had a bit of an anger issue but didn't think they had been in trouble with the law... Do you think people on probation should be allowed to have jobs, cause I can't help but think they're taking the place of someone who'd be a lot better at the job and better with the customers...

How are they going to have a chance to integrate properly into society if you remove their right to work?
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
How are they going to have a chance to integrate properly into society if you remove their right to work?

I guess I just felt like they weren't very good at their job so surprised me how they got the job
Reply 3
Yes; not all people on probation will be on it for the same reason. They already get discriminated so, so not allowing them to work at all is taking it even further. What are they going to do if they can't work? More free benefits?

:facepalm:
Original post by fefssdf
I guess I just felt like they weren't very good at their job so surprised me how they got the job

I can't judge this specific situation because I don't know all of the facts involved but there definitely shouldn't be a law preventing people on probation from getting a job. That is just going to alienate them more from society, worsen their financial stability and generally make it more likely for them to get in trouble again in the future. Obviously that also doesn't mean that they're entitled to get a certain job though.
Reply 5
Original post by Davalla
Yes; not all people on probation will be on it for the same reason. They already get discriminated so, so not allowing them to work at all is taking it even further. What are they going to do if they can't work? More free benefits?

:facepalm:

yeh I get what you're saying I guess i can't judge until I know why they're on probation as it may be something pretty minor but then again it could be something more serious
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
I can't judge this specific situation because I don't know all of the facts involved but there definitely shouldn't be a law preventing people on probation from getting a job. That is just going to alienate them more from society, worsen their financial stability and generally make it more likely for them to get in trouble again in the future. Obviously that also doesn't mean that they're entitled to get a certain job though.

Yeh I just can't help but think some employers feel like they have to employ people on probation to give them a chance, even though they probably had alternative candidates suitable for the job. It's just that this employee was making rude comments about customers and kept complaining about when they were getting their break/ when they would be moved because they didn't like standing up for a few hours...
Not being funny but are you sure he /she didn't mean the probation period in the job?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending