The Student Room Group

Will you guys just shut the **** up about losing the referendum?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by difeo
You really think that's how most people decide their opinions? Hahaha **** me

Obviously you don't just look at unbiased sources, you also believe what you believe overall. I can agree that opinions are not just based off of sources (although they do help within arguments), so you've proved me wrong there and that was probably a dumb comment. Sorry.
Original post by The_Opinion
I would love it.Belgium cant stop them (their precious freedom of movement).The typical retainer is a leftists, welfare loving, democracy hating moron, so i would be glad to be rid of them, plus the nation is overcrowded, so that would stop being a problem. :biggrin:
The typical remainer is university educated. I don't think Belgium would be upset at being on the receiving end of a brain drain.
Original post by JordanL_
The typical remainer is university educated. I don't think Belgium would be upset at being on the receiving end of a brain drain.

By all means take them, I would rather live in a land of good, honest, hard working patriots, with plenty of countryside.
Nah, I'm not gonna shut up. I might not be able to change the result, but until the use of Article 50, I'm not gonna stop. If everyone rallies together, who knows what we can achieve.
Original post by The_Opinion

The typical retainer is a leftists, welfare loving, democracy hating moron, so i would be glad to be rid of them
you sound like totally irresponsible

well, you will have time to enjoy the results of your choices
Reply 85
Original post by CharlesJH
I am not talking about it as if it is a game, it certainly isn't. I have said that "Leave has won, remain has lost" because leave got the majority and remain did not. Leave has "won" the majority of the vote. You would not say this within a general election because there is no definite majority, but in this case there is a definite majority. I know other people who have said this as well and I suppose it depends on what kind of language a person uses.

Also, I am just going to use this post to say that as I have read other posts, "shut the **** up" is probably a poor choice of words which I could possibly refract. All voices must be heard and be involved within discussion, but the winning vote should still remain (haha I'm unfunny) as leave, even if you're unhappy with it (I am unhappy with the result in some ways).

The title of your thread is 'will you guys shut up about losing' - you have the word losing and the word guys and the former word refers to the latter. You are talking about PEOPLE losing. Once again, nobody has won or lost yet, and when they do, it will be all of us.

Your second point basically just undoes your whole thread and I'm thinking perhaps you posted this thread and then changed your mind once you read the comments.

What you should have posted instead is 'We should not try to change the results of the referendum'. But obviously what you actually did was told people to shut the f*** up. I'd see this as a learning curve if I were you
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by AverageExcellence
You are deliberately obtuse, both things were said and clearly most people read them that way because cameron had to come out and qualify it later so stop embarrassing yourself.

Calling me a liar is just further demeaning yourself, we're out of the EU and the remainist scare mongering was found wanting.

Except there was never any mention of 'there will be World War 3'. How many times do I need to repeat this before you can get your head around it? He warned of a threat to stability. A threat to stability could come in any form, and if there was an implication of a third world war it was not stating it as a certainty, but warning not to make assumptions that the stability of Europe was so closely maintained that war breaking out was an unfathomable prospect.

Your original comment was, and I quote, 'CAMERON: A VOTE FOR LEAVE WILL MEAN WW3!'. He never said this, you must admit he never said this, but by all means continue to argue to the contrary when you contradicted yourself in your own replies by mentioning an implication. But the likelihood of you swallowing your pride and accepting your mistake is as likely as you accepting that Brexit was a poor idea.

I love how Brexiters throw out the word scaremongering like they've just recently found it in the dictionary and now it's their favourite word. Universally, experts warned of the economic, political and social turmoil that would arise as a result of a Leave vote - and that is precisely what is happening now. But apparently we are now 'sick of experts', aren't we? They just want to scaremonger! Who needs rationalism any more?

Scaremongering was very much on the side of the Leave campaign. From Farage's appalling campaign billboard about migrants (which rather ominously paralleled an old Nazi propaganda film), to a 'warning' about another Orlando-style shooting breaking out in Europe, to mention that the only way to save the NHS was through Brexit. Do not try to overshadow such scare tactics. It won't work.

Many Remain voters didn't even base their vote on 'scaremongering' comments made by the Remain campaign. We based it on expertise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not entirely sure that you realise that this vote has screwed a lot of people over in a pretty massive way. They are absolutely entitled to complain about it.

Yeah, I agree, it's screwed over the unelected globalists at the top of the eu food chain. Thank god we left
Original post by mariachi
you sound like totally irresponsible

well, you will have time to enjoy the results of your choices

Well conservatives are much more financially responsible than others, so I would totally disagree, if people like me were in charge, the UK debt would be one of the lowest in the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FNPC
Yeah, I agree, it's screwed over the unelected globalists at the top of the eu food chain. Thank god we left
the " unelected globalists at the top of the eu food chain" will manage quite well

it's the common people who will suffer
Original post by elen90
Except there was never any mention of 'there will be World War 3'. How many times do I need to repeat this before you can get your head around it? He warned of a threat to stability. A threat to stability could come in any form, and if there was an implication of a third world war it was not stating it as a certainty, but warning not to make assumptions that the stability of Europe was so closely maintained that war breaking out was an unfathomable prospect.

Your original comment was, and I quote, 'CAMERON: A VOTE FOR LEAVE WILL MEAN WW3!'. He never said this, you must admit he never said this, but by all means continue to argue to the contrary when you contradicted yourself in your own replies by mentioning an implication. But the likelihood of you swallowing your pride and accepting your mistake is as likely as you accepting that Brexit was a poor idea.

I love how Brexiters throw out the word scaremongering like they've just recently found it in the dictionary and now it's their favourite word. Universally, experts warned of the economic, political and social turmoil that would arise as a result of a Leave vote - and that is precisely what is happening now. But apparently we are now 'sick of experts', aren't we? They just want to scaremonger! Who needs rationalism any more?

Scaremongering was very much on the side of the Leave campaign. From Farage's appalling campaign billboard about migrants (which rather ominously paralleled an old Nazi propaganda film), to a 'warning' about another Orlando-style shooting breaking out in Europe, to mention that the only way to save the NHS was through Brexit. Do not try to overshadow such scare tactics. It won't work.

Many Remain voters didn't even base their vote on 'scaremongering' comments made by the Remain campaign. We based it on expertise.

You are just contradicting yourself now, you say brexit people felll for things which could obviously be fact checked to be not accurate, yet remain supporters were canny and only made their decisions based on reality... pfft. ok then.
Reply 91
You are just contradicting yourself now, you say brexit people felll for things which could obviously be fact checked to be not accurate, yet remain supporters were canny and only made their decisions based on reality... pfft. ok then.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Glad you understand now :clap2:
Original post by elen90
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Glad you understand now :clap2:

Hence why you are part of a modern phenomenon that is the loudest in media and politics but unrepresentative of reality.

Hence why the guardian is going bust,
Hence why you never win elections
Hence why you can't win referendums.

Sorry we triggered you, should we make a safe space for you?
Reply 93
Hence why you are part of a modern phenomenon that is the loudest in media and politics but unrepresentative of reality.

Hence why the guardian is going bust,
Hence why you never win elections
Hence why you can't win referendums.

Sorry we triggered you, should we make a safe space for you?

Dear me, is it possible for you to get through a debate without mentioning triggering or safe spaces? Where's the originality?

I'd say I expected better of you, but I really didn't.
Original post by elen90
Dear me, is it possible for you to get through a debate without mentioning triggering or safe spaces? Where's the originality?

I'd say I expected better of you, but I really didn't.

To be fair i should listen more to you and your kind, because it will be a reflection or where to bet; in the opposite direction.

I'm still awaiting an answer on how you cannot see the hypocrisy in the point that the Leave campaign mislead people but the remain camp didn't? can you be adult enough to admit it was 6 of 1?
Reply 95
To be fair i should listen more to you and your kind, because it will be a reflection or where to bet; in the opposite direction.

I'm still awaiting an answer on how you cannot see the hypocrisy in the point that the Leave campaign mislead people but the remain camp didn't? can you be adult enough to admit it was 6 of 1?

I think you will find the answer if you deign to properly read through my responses. I did not vote Remain because of the Remain campaign, I voted Remain because it was the correct way to go - of course the campaign hyperbolised some possible outcomes but most of the predictions and figures were overwhelmingly correct, though you'll never refer to those. Can you be enough of an adult to admit that your original comment was a blatant lie, or that your regression to ad hominem was crass and immature?
Original post by elen90
I think you will find the answer if you deign to properly read through my responses. I did not vote Remain because of the Remain campaign, I voted Remain because it was the correct way to go - of course the campaign hyperbolised some possible outcomes but most of the predictions and figures were overwhelmingly correct, though you'll never refer to those. Can you be enough of an adult to admit that your original comment was a blatant lie, or that your regression to ad hominem was crass and immature?

No all you keep doing is trying to worm and slip away from addressing the point by assuming that Cameron's comments could well be 'angry ambassadors'..

You mean the figures where Osborne said we'll lose 3000£ a household by 2030?
how can you possible know if they are 'overwhelmingly correct'? you do a disservice to any credible argument and its beyond laughable.

How was it a lie? I gave you quotes which clearly alluded to hyperbole to scare people into voting, you would think the referendum was 'do you want an Apocalypse in the UK? if the remain campaign were listened to.

You are being very Angsty now, return to your safe space.
Original post by elen90

To qualify that before you be predictably slippery (which everybody can see and laugh at):

4 points were explicitly said, the Cameron point was strongly implied, and to state that it was my complete misreading of it he came back a second time and had to qualify it by elaborating on the comment, so clearly it was obvious in the context of the speech he was making he was making a hyperbolic comment which he had to return to to save face.

How old are you? did you even vote?
Reply 98
No all you keep doing is trying to worm and slip away from addressing the point by assuming that Cameron's comments could well be 'angry ambassadors'..

You mean the figures where Osborne said we'll lose 3000£ a household by 2030?
how can you possible know if they are 'overwhelmingly correct'? you do a disservice to any credible argument and its beyond laughable.

How was it a lie? I gave you quotes which clearly alluded to hyperbole to scare people into voting, you would think the referendum was 'do you want an Apocalypse in the UK? if the remain campaign were listened to.

You are being very Angsty now, return to your safe space.

That's what I thought. Thanks for your lack of contribution.
Original post by elen90
That's what I thought. Thanks for your lack of contribution.

Does feigning moral and intellectual superiority make up for your lack of tangible arguments or retorts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending