The Student Room Group

Anyone have any experience of working as a bartender?

What is it like?
Reply 1
Depressing.

Just kidding, I did it for 6 years and it depended on the place/day/shift on whether I enjoyed it or not. Towards the end I got very very fed up of it but I did enjoy it at points. I even went back and worked there on Christmas Day so I can't have hated it that much, can I? But at times it really got me down. I enjoyed working behind in some places more than others
I did, for one month, never again.
Reply 3
Original post by calm down
I did, for one month, never again.

how come?
Reply 4
Original post by Tw1x
Depressing.

Just kidding, I did it for 6 years and it depended on the place/day/shift on whether I enjoyed it or not. Towards the end I got very very fed up of it but I did enjoy it at points. I even went back and worked there on Christmas Day so I can't have hated it that much, can I? But at times it really got me down. I enjoyed working behind in some places more than others

Why did it get you down at some times? could you give example of what to look out for?
Reply 5
Original post by tootles44
Why did it get you down at some times? could you give example of what to look out for?

Because some shifts were so depressingly boring (apart from when I worked at the Racecourse, that was always manic, but that was just part time) but if you only did it part time I suppose it could be ok. Also, as a female, I put up with a lot of perverts and got a lot of abuse off kids for IDing them. That was the worst part for me, having to ID people because its so difficult to tell the difference between 17 year olds all dolled up and 21 years olds. Made it a lot easier when it went to Challenge 25

Things to watch out for...hmm... the ID thing, you can get a massive fine and lose your personal licence/your bosses if you get caught out. Police send spot checkers in occasionally (underage kids) to try catch you out. Obviously be responsible, if someone has had too much to drink and need to go home, refuse them service. Have a sense of humour and make an effort with the regulars - they pay your wages all year and most of them will stick up for you if theres ever any trouble.

Edit; I got a wine bottle chucked at my head once too :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tootles44
What is it like?

I have done it but I knew cocktail skills so I was making £800 a month on weekends alone before tips and had other business stuff in the week
and i wouldn't mind doing it again if i was getting the right cash
I've done jobs like this before & like others have said it depends on how quiet/ busy the shift is, behaviour of customers etc. For me it was OK most of the time, the first few times working on a bar in a busy environment can be stressful but you soon get used to it. I've had a few bad experiences with aggressive/ argumentative customers, sexual comments etc, but this is from a small minority of customers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending