The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Tomorrow will probably be the hardest S2 with lots of conditional probabilities and in-context uniform distribution.
Original post by Abc321zxc
can someone check june 2006 question 7a and tell me why it is a binomial and not a poisson?>

1 in 5 bowls so you have a p

25 bowls so you have an n
Original post by Student403
If anyone feels **** about tomorrow, just remember I started revision an hour ago

I think that would be some consolation if you weren't the Student403 :lol:
Part (c): can anyone explain why {[P(X] intersection P(X = 4)} becomes P(X = 1) × P(X = 3) here?

Screenshot_20160627-000133.jpg
Original post by SeanFM
I think that would be some consolation if you weren't the Student403 :lol:

:rofl: :colondollar:
Reply 485
Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 19.04.48.png

@SeanFM

For the last part of this question I integrated from 1.5 to 2.5. However in the mark scheme they did 1 - integral 1.5 to 2.5. Do you know why?
Reply 486
I just thought, in questions where we are given functions (pdf or cdf), is it possible to get trigonometry? Such as f(x) = sinx over a specific interval?

We usually get quadratic or cubic equations, but is it still possible?
Reply 487
can someone explain this

say if ive got an observed value of x= 4

but critical values are

x<3 x>12

what does that tell me?
Original post by Ayman!
Part (c): can anyone explain why {[P(X] intersection P(X = 4)} becomes P(X = 1) × P(X = 3) here?

Screenshot_20160627-000133.jpg

:hmmmm2: that doesn't quite make sense as far as I can see.

Something like P(X1=1,X2=3X1+X2=4)=P(X1=1X2=3X1+X2=4)=P(X1=1)×P(X2=3) P(X_1 = 1 , X_2 = 3 | X_1 + X_2 = 4) = P(X_1 = 1 \cap X_2 = 3 \cap X_1 + X_2 = 4) =P(X_1 = 1) \times P(X_2 = 3) where the X1 + X2 disappears because it is implied/true by the other statement.

by independence would make more sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
:hmmmm2: that doesn't quite make sense as far as I can see.

Something like P(X1=1,X2=3X1+X2=4)=P(X1=1X2=3X1+X2=4)=P(X1=1)×P(X2=3) P(X_1 = 1 , X_2 = 3 | X_1 + X_2 = 4) = P(X_1 = 1 \cap X_2 = 3 \cap X_1 + X_2 = 4) =P(X_1 = 1) \times P(X_2 = 3) where the X1 + X2 disappears because it is implied/true by the other statement.

by independence would make more sense.

Brilliant! Thank you.

I just intuitively jumped to the next step and got the answer, but needed to see why it worked. :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 490
Original post by Armpits
Tomorrow will probably be the hardest S2 with lots of conditional probabilities and in-context uniform distribution.

What do you mean by in-context uniform distribution?
Original post by taysc

@SeanFM

For the last part of this question I integrated from 1.5 to 2.5. However in the mark scheme they did 1 - integral 1.5 to 2.5. Do you know why?

Because the integral finds probability of being between those two numbers, when you want it to be on either side of those numbers, if that makes sense.
Original post by taysc

@SeanFM

You are looking for the probability of waiting either less then 1.5 or more than 2.5
For continuous uniform distribution e(x) is the same as the median and the mean?

@SeanFM
Original post by NoahMal
For continuous uniform distribution e(x) is the same as the median and the mean?

@SeanFM

It would make sense, yes :tongue:
Is it correct that P(Y> or equal to 7.3) for a binomial distribution would be the same as P(Y> or equal to 8)? Thanks :smile:
Reply 498
Original post by SeanFM
Because the integral finds probability of being between those two numbers, when you want it to be on either side of those numbers, if that makes sense.

Yes it does the thank you
Reply 499
Original post by SamLLLLiu
You are looking for the probability of waiting either less then 1.5 or more than 2.5

Thank youu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending