The Student Room Group

WJEC Physics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TLDM
I got 65.8 :smile:

I actually really liked that paper. I couldn't get the 51km question (I kept getting 49) but I might have actually got 95%+.

But I'm not looking forward to PH5...

I can't see many people looking forward to PH5
Original post by SoThisIsStresful
Me neither, i kept on getting a negative mass. Fingers crossed for low boundaties people!

sounds silly, what was the last question?
Original post by EJRicketts
I can't see many people looking forward to PH5

In PH5, at least the boundaries reflect the difficulty of the paper, so that's one reason to look forward to it. :tongue:

What did you think of the paper? :holmes:
Original post by LukeWeatherstone
sounds silly, what was the last question?

finding the mass of the planet in the star planet system, the question said earlier that the mass of the planet was much smaller than the star...
Does anyone have any good resources for B fields? my teacher rushed that bit so I'm a bit confused about how hall probes investigate steady magnetic fields and why current carrying conductors exert a force on each other :smile: thank you!
Original post by lauragravener
Does anyone have any good resources for B fields? my teacher rushed that bit so I'm a bit confused about how hall probes investigate steady magnetic fields and why current carrying conductors exert a force on each other :smile: thank you!

S-Cool has some good explanations, though probably not detailed enough, so check the spec just to be sure: http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/forces-magnetic-fields. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
S-Cool has some good explanations, though probably not detailed enough, so check the spec just to be sure: http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/physics/forces-magnetic-fields. :smile:

Thank you!! :smile:
Does anybody/their teacher have ideas about possible case study questions? It's not a very nice one this year, so I'm hoping for a decent number of simple calculations, showing homogeneity in terms of units, etc.
Original post by Hydeman
Does anybody/their teacher have ideas about possible case study questions? It's not a very nice one this year, so I'm hoping for a decent number of simple calculations, showing homogeneity in terms of units, etc.

Calculating the age of the universe
Finding the escape velocity
Deriving the third equation using the other 2

These are a few my teacher mentioned
Original post by Roxanne18
Calculating the age of the universe
Finding the escape velocity
Deriving the third equation using the other 2

These are a few my teacher mentioned

Thanks, will make sure to practise these. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks, will make sure to practise these. :smile:

No problem, hope this helps (:
I also have the notes on these if you need them (:
No problem, hope this helps (:
I also have the notes on these if you need them (:

That would be a massive help, if you could share them (I'm a private candidate, so don't really have any class notes). :colondollar:
Original post by Hydeman
That would be a massive help, if you could share them (I'm a private candidate, so don't really have any class notes). :colondollar:

No problem, let me know if any of them aren't clear enough (:
Could you possibly get clearer versions of the last 2? Thanks.
No problem, let me know if any of them aren't clear enough (:

Thanks very much - it's very kind of you to share your notes. :smile:

On another note - do you know which dimension in a Hall probe we are supposed to take as d? Is it the one parallel to the B-field? Thanks in advance. :biggrin:
Original post by Hydeman

On another note - do you know which dimension in a Hall probe we are supposed to take as d? Is it the one parallel to the B-field? Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

I'm pretty sure that is t and the perpendicular one is d.
Original post by Tunavincent
I'm pretty sure that is t and the perpendicular one is d.

Yeah, I eventually figured it out by looking at the picture in the revision guide. Thanks, though! :biggrin:
Original post by Hydeman

Its okay, hope they help (: I have notes for a few things if there's anything else I can do just let me know (:

Sorry I got back to you late, was preparing for my Maths exam, I see someone else answered, do you understand now ?
Its okay, hope they help (: I have notes for a few things if there's anything else I can do just let me know (:

Thanks, they did. :smile: Although, could you take another picture of the very last attachment (the one that's printed as opposed to handwritten). It's just that I tried to zoom into it but it got all blurry. :/
Thanks again. :colondollar:

Sorry I got back to you late, was preparing for my Maths exam, I see someone else answered, do you understand now ?

No worries at all - you've been so helpful. :biggrin:
Yeah, I understand it now. Hope your maths exam went well/goes well (not sure if you've had it yet)! :woo:
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks, they did. :smile: Although, could you take another picture of the very last attachment (the one that's printed as opposed to handwritten). It's just that I tried to zoom into it but it got all blurry. :/
Thanks again. :colondollar:

No worries at all - you've been so helpful. :biggrin:
Yeah, I understand it now. Hope your maths exam went well/goes well (not sure if you've had it yet)! :woo:

Okay here it is, it isn't as important as the others, its just a time line we had to make about the different people contributions to the discoveries

How are you feeling for tomorrow ?

Quick Reply