The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economicss
Is it correct that P(Y> or equal to 7.3) for a binomial distribution would be the same as P(Y> or equal to 8)? Thanks :smile:

Correct. This is because if a value is greater than 7.3, then it must be greater than or equal to 8 as there are no values between 7.3 and 8 (and the inequality sign is okay to change, as it would make sense. 8 is > 7.3.
Original post by SeanFM
Correct. This is because if a value is greater than 7.3, then it must be greater than or equal to 8 as there are no values between 7.3 and 8 (and the inequality sign is okay to change, as it would make sense. 8 is > 7.3.

Thank you! :smile:
How do you know whether to use a one tail, two tail hypothesis test?
Original post by kkboyk

Either it will say that specifically, or you'll be testing to see whether the Null hypothesis is different instead of just less than or just greater than

(for 2 tailed)
Original post by kkboyk

If it specifies whether you're testing if the probability/mean have increased or decreased it's one tailed. If it's testing whether they've changed (generically) then it's two tailed.
Here's a question:

If, in the unlikely possibility and more so for my own interest, the probability calculated in a hypothesis test is exactly equal to the significance level (e.g. 0.05), do you reject or accept H0?
I just did the specimen paper ( http://tinyurl.com/j26td95 )
and got caught out by question 5b. It said that 'probability for each tail of the region should be as close as possible to 2.5%'
I did the normal thing where you choose the value that 'just about' satisfies the inequality.
It is the first time I have seen such a question, though I haven't done many papers. It's obviously not too difficult, but are there any of papers where this has happened?
Original post by Mattematics
If it specifies whether you're testing if the probability/mean have increased or decreased it's one tailed. If it's testing whether they've changed (generically) then it's two tailed.

Original post by Student403
Either it will say that specifically, or you'll be testing to see whether the Null hypothesis is different instead of just less than or just greater than

(for 2 tailed)

Oh fair enoug, so essentially what the textbook says? Though I dont really understand it :/
Original post by Mattematics
Here's a question:

If, in the unlikely possibility and more so for my own interest, the probability calculated in a hypothesis test is exactly equal to the significance level (e.g. 0.05), do you reject or accept H0?

reject because it is in the critical region
Good luck all. Personally i'm just hoping for a pretty standard paper with no weird and wonderful questions. Think I will get my target A as long as this doesn't go completely tits up ^.^
also, do the solomon papers get harder as you go through them or are they all of similar difficulty?
Original post by Ayman!
Part (c): can anyone explain why {[P(X] intersection P(X = 4)} becomes P(X = 1) × P(X = 3) here?

Screenshot_20160627-000133.jpg

what paper is this??
Original post by wr123
Sorry! Just saw this now, I think notifications are messed up. And yes it is in S2 so you are able to the same with any other situation given !

Ok thanks
if i have like three functions of CDF
and i want to find the mean which function do i choose to equal to 0.5?
Original post by Patrick Gekko
also, do the solomon papers get harder as you go through them or are they all of similar difficulty?

Seems pretty uniform tbh.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466968609.868814.jpg Could someone help me with the last part thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466968687.073518.jpg for the last part why do I use the px=n rather than less than or equal to n thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the answer in the MS
Give me an easy and intuitive way to remember the skewness of a PDF please :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending