The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 - 27th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by M3WIZARD
Any thoughts on tomorrow's paper? - Hopefully it's going to be a 6 Question paper ending on a nice easy mean or median sampling distribution :smile:

Impossible to know
Original post by RetroSpectro
The only Approximation that can be used for a Poisson distribution is a normal approx.

Yeah but how do you know you have to use normal approx. it doesnt say you use it
Reply 542
I just found an interesting question (January 2002).It says the bus arrives between 5 minutes early and 9 minutes late.
Therefore, it defined the distribution as X~U[-5,9].However, the markscheme defines it as X~U[0,14]. As a result, I got everything wrong, except part d.Do you think I would've received the marks anyway? How would you proceed with this question?

q.png
Original post by fpmaniac
Yeah but how do you know you have to use normal approx. it doesnt say you use it

It says 'using a suitable approximation'
Reply 544
How I remember skewness is by writing the values in the order MEAN MEDIA AND MODE
if mean<median<mode, it is negatively skewed because the pointy part of the inequality is pointing in the negative direction (think of a number line, the negative values are to the left of zero) and if MEAN>MEDIAN>MODE, then it is positively skewed as the pointy parts points in the positive direction. (Just my own odd way of remembering it :h:
Original post by apzoe
I just found an interesting question (January 2002).It says the bus arrives between 5 minutes early and 9 minutes late.
Therefore, it defined the distribution as X~U[-5,9].However, the markscheme defines it as X~U[0,14]. As a result, I got everything wrong, except part d.Do you think I would've received the marks anyway? How would you proceed with this question?

q.png

Maybe the M1 marks, but x is considered from 5 minutes earlier than it's due time, so there's no need to go into negative values.
Original post by JASISR
How I remember skewness is by writing the values in the order MEAN MEDIA AND MODE
if mean<median<mode, it is negatively skewed because the pointy part of the inequality is pointing in the negative direction (think of a number line, the negative values are to the left of zero) and if MEAN>MEDIAN>MODE, then it is positively skewed as the pointy parts points in the positive direction. (Just my own odd way of remembering it :h:

I like that
Reply 547
Original post by MaxWalker1
I like that

thanks MaxWalker1
Original post by apzoe

q.png

It specifies in the Q that X is the time after 7:55 and because the bus is expected to arrive at 8:00, then 5 mins before that would be 7:55. At 7:55 the time would be 0 mins after 7:55 hence why they defined it as 0

9 mins after the expected arrival time at 8:00 would be 8:09 which is 14 mins after 7:55
When they ask for 'the probability you incorrectly reject the null hypothesis' they are always asking for the actual significance level, right?
Original post by SeanFM
Let's see with an example.

If we had pdf = x for 0 <= x < 0.5 and 1-x for 0.5 <= x < 1 then the mode is 0.5.

The CDF is x^2/2 for 0 <= x < 0.5 and x - (x^/2) + (1/8) for 0.5 =< x < 1 so the median is indeed the mode.

The mean is integral of x between 1 and 0 which is 0.5.. so mode = median = mean. So we have shown that there is in fact no skew when all 3 of these things are true :lol:

But when there is skew, the mode is not equal to the median, which is not equal to the mean.

But you are right :h:

Ahh thank you, this helps clear it up!

For anyone struggling to remember skews in a pdf use:

PMQU

P - M < Q < U

Positive - mode < Quartile 2 (median) < mu (mean)

and for a negative skew its the opposite direction

Smart way to learn it. But isn't is mean<median<mode instead of mode<median<mean?
continuity corrections people
I hope we don't get any definition questions :s-smilie:
Reply 553
It specifies in the Q that X is the time after 7:55 and because the bus is expected to arrive at 8:00, then 5 mins before that would be 7:55. At 7:55 the time would be 0 mins after 7:55 hence why they defined it as 0

9 mins after the expected arrival time at 8:00 would be 8:09 which is 14 mins after 7:55

Original post by NotNotBatman
Maybe the M1 marks, but x is considered from 5 minutes earlier than it's due time, so there's no need to go into negative values.

Ah my bad for rushing and not reading the question properly..

Then would my way be correct if they didn't specify 7:55?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 554

would i need to apply a contin correction
PLEASE HELP!
In the 3rd line of the mark scheme, why do they put it equal to 2? I understand the rest, any help is much appreciated Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 21.01.15.png
Attachment not found
Original post by apzoe
Ah my bad for rushing and not reading the question properly..

Then would my way be correct if they didn't specify 7:55?

I think they would have to specify the variable

but if the specified variable was time after 8 am then you would be correct
Reply 557
Original post by Yua

would i need to apply a contin correction

No. You only apply the continuity correction when going from a discrete (binomial or poisson) random varriable to a continuous one (normal).
Original post by undercxver
Ahh thank you, this helps clear it up!

Smart way to learn it. But isn't is mean<median<mode instead of mode<median<mean?

Nope that would be a negative skew

Reply 559
Original post by apzoe
No. You only apply the continuity correction when going from a discrete (binomial or poisson) random varriable to a continuous one (normal).

thank you kind sir

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending