The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowie
Just did this one now!
Robots should be controlled removing radioactive isotopes to prevent harmful particles/rays penetrating body when close.
Radioactive isotope X is a gamma emitter which requires lots of shielding due to it's long range so must be transferred to a sealed lead container immediately which absorbs enough radiation that outside the container remains at background count rate. It has a small half life meaning it's activity is very high hence it's at very high temperatures so the sealed lead container must be placed in a cooling pond to reduce activity/temperature. It should be left in cooling pond until radiation falls to background radiation.
Radioactive isotope Y is an alpha emitter with a long half life so needs to be placed in a metallic container immediately. It should then be stored underground and labelled under lock and key. Storage problems would be that the metal container mustn't deteriorate as the sample will have to be enclosed for a long time due to its long half life.

Cheers man, much easier to comprehend than the mark scheme :smile:
Original post by Cheesecake Ali
Predictions on 6 marker for Paper A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like it might be determining nuclear radii
Reply 382
Original post by twallien
Okay so the question asks "With reference to Figure 1, explain why fission fragments are unstable and explain what type of radiation they are likely to emit initially"

It fully depends on the elements involved. Yes it emits neutrons but generally speaking the ratio of N/Z will still be higher than its stable isotope.

A worked example: Uranium_235 splits in to Rubidium_92 and Caesium_140 as well as 3 neutrons. N/Z for uranium is about 1.55. N/Z for Cs is 1.545. Cs_133 is the only stable isotope meaning Cs has more neutrons than its stable isotope. I'm sure there's examples where what i have said don't apply but the question asks for general terms.

Okay I get you now thanksgiving clearing that up for me!
I've got one other quick question, can alpha radiation be emitted in a nuclear reactor? I think I saw it in a mark scheme, but I though uranium wouldn't decay via alpha.
Thanks again :smile:
Is it just me that finds electron microscopes in turning point extremely hard to learn cuz it's so boring 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone is worried about the 6 marker, meanwhile, there was a 7 marker in the June 2010 Medical paper:biggrin:...

Edit: there was also a 7 marker in the first section that year :O
(edited 7 years ago)
heyy can someone help me with q2 of http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/4/6324568/nuck_1.pdf?

how do they get the numbers 238.05076 4.00260 234.04357

Answers : http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/4/6324568/nuck_1_ans.pdf

Thank youu!
Original post by particlestudent
Everyone is worried about the 6 marker, meanwhile, there was a 7 marker in the June 2010 Medical paper:biggrin:...

Edit: there was also a 7 marker in the first section that year :O

That 7 marker in the first year was quite horrible.

Original post by blueberry389
heyy can someone help me with q2 of http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/4/6324568/nuck_1.pdf?

how do they get the numbers 238.05076 4.00260 234.04357

Answers : http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com/uploads/6/3/2/4/6324568/nuck_1_ans.pdf

Thank youu!

I think it's the question. I am certain that they will provide you with the numbers in the question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rory58824
That 7 marker in the first year was quite horrible.

I think it's the question. I am certain that they will provide you with the numbers in the question.

I thought that....been trying to wrap my head around that question for a while
Is there a specimen paper anywhere? I keep finding the markscheme but no paper?:frown:
Original post by Haleema567
I feel like it might be determining nuclear radii

lol there's 6 marks gone for me. The only method I know (and I don't even "know", I'm just aware of the equation) is using the least distance of approach.
Original post by Cheesecake Ali
Is it just me that finds electron microscopes in turning point extremely hard to learn cuz it's so boring 😪

Posted from TSR Mobile

same
Original post by boyyo
Okay I get you now thanksgiving clearing that up for me!
I've got one other quick question, can alpha radiation be emitted in a nuclear reactor? I think I saw it in a mark scheme, but I though uranium wouldn't decay via alpha.
Thanks again :smile:

Any element with a proton number above 82 will decay via alpha radiation
Reply 392
Does Hubble's law assume universe is expanding at a constant acceleration?
Any turning points 6 marker predictions? Motivation for this exam is at a new low, just one more
Anyone else find the mark scheme for six markers a bit ridiculous ....do you think the markers will stick to it or can they allow things that are right but just not on the ms....im yet to get over 4 marks on a 6 marker that i havent already done/memorised etc!!
Also i really hope as the gas 6 marker came up last year it wont be on this year....the wording of that was tricky....it stated it as if it is a well known experiment to find absolute zero....we were never even taught it

Also were the boubdaries so high last year due to the paper leak?...or have they been that high before
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by philo-jitsu
Also i really hope as the gas 6 marker came up last year it wont be on this year....the wording of that was tricky....it stated it as if it is a well known experiment to find absolute zero....we were never even taught it

Also were the boubdaries so high last year due to the paper leak?...or have they been that high before

They've been that high before. Probably because there were few writing/explanation questions and quite an emphasis on the calculations.
Original post by marioman
They've been that high before. Probably because there were few writing/explanation questions and quite an emphasis on the calculations.

I think last year was mainly high because of Unit 4's boundaries. For medical, June 14 was 52 for an A* and June 13 it was 54 for an A*, then it randomly went up to 61 last year.

53 for June 2012, 57 for June 2011 and then 56 for June 2010
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm getting confused with past papers, occasionally nuclear questions require you to work out the mass defect of an atom but only give you the mass and proton numbers. From this you can calculate the mass of it's constituents but how are you supposed to know the actual mass of the atom??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending