The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
Fight for free movement of labour in our negotiations, do not over turn the democratic results of leaving the European Union instead use your democratic rights to influence our future relations with the EU. We can be out of the EU while having labour mobility. I am a partially regretful leave supporter, immigration for means of labour was never something I had an issue with and I think the claim that foreign people are taking our jobs is PATHETIC, if we are to compete internationally we cannot have under skilled and over paid British workers simply because we don't have access to people who NEED to work for money even if it is a lower than what British people woud get, without these foreign workers we would simply be bankrupt. Our small 1% of growth for the past few years would be a negative number if we didn't have competitive labour.

I'm all for you in the argument of labour movement and being able to retire in another country with ease but staying in the EU is not the only way to have these benefits. To be honest Cameron's deal with the EU was pretty good in terms of immigration but I want a deal that says "no work/economic activity, no movement", economically active in this case includes pensioners or just people who have enough money to make a living

you're talking out of your arse.
It would be like Texas saying to the USA, actually p****s-off but we still want everything that all the other states get....

You have no idea at all.
It would be great to get 4 Million by tomorrow - perhaps 5 million by Tuesday.
Reply 662
It's interesting when middle class students don't get their way and you realise how they only like democracy when it suits them.
Reply 663
Original post by FredOrJohn
It would be great to get 4 Million by tomorrow - perhaps 5 million by Tuesday.

3.5 million now

And that's after they deleted 77,000 suspicious signatures (which is good).
What people are failing to understand about this petition is it was asking for rules to be set on the referendum, it wasn't asking to do another referendum as a result of the result of the referendum. It is asking for retrospective legislation meaning that it doesn't matter how many people sign this petition, it just won't happen. It is asking for rules to be implemented for a referendum that has already happened. We can't all of a sudden implement that law then re-do the referendum because it now doesn't meet the requirements.

Spoiler

Original post by ftw93
It's interesting when middle class students don't get their way and you realise how they only like democracy when it suits them.

There must be way more middle class students than I realised, given that the petition is now 3.5m+.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Given that he promised a referendum in his manifesto, delivered it, and now has said he will deliver the result, I would say that he isn't the one attempting to short-circuit democracy. That would be the people seeking to set aside that entire process.

Your posts bear no relation to reality whatsoever. You live in your own fantasy world, and you do neither your cause nor anyone else any favours by putting forward such shrill, delusional whines as you've been spewing out constantly since the result came in.

Reply 667
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There must be way more middle class students than I realised, given that the petition is now 3.5m+.

90% of them are from outside the UK lmfao

you're desperate, I get it, you spent months shilling for remain and you lost, sometimes it's better just admit defeat and keep some dignity
Reply 669
Original post by ftw93
90% of them are from outside the UK lmfao

No. They really aren't.

"signature_count":3534862

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":3398217}

3,398,217 / 3,534,862 = 96.13%
Original post by Josb
Welcome to politics. Politicians lie all the time.

Sadly, I know that. But the leave campaign was, at least in my eyes, so much more deceitful than any other British political campaign that I'd ever seen (might not be saying much since I'm only 16).
Original post by ftw93
This sums it all up.
Perfect post!
Original post by AxSirlotl
Sadly, I know that. But the leave campaign was, at least in my eyes, so much more deceitful than any other British political campaign that I'd ever seen (might not be saying much since I'm only 16).

And claiming that western civilisation would be destroyed because of ww3 if leave won is not deceitful? Look at the remains campaign to see deceit.
Original post by ftw93

Before the 23rd:

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it" - Nigel Farage

Now that Brexit has won Farage doesn't think another referendum is necessary. Ironic, your post is.

People have every right to call for another referendum. Definitely seeing that alot of Brexiters realised they have made a big mistake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 674
Original post by AxSirlotl

I'm much older than you and have seen many lies that were much worse than that. You'll see.
Original post by Castro Saint
Before the 23rd:

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it" - Nigel Farage

Now that Brexit has won Farage doesn't think another referendum is necessary. Ironic, your post is.

People have every right to call for another referendum. Definitely seeing that alot of Brexiters realised they have made a big mistake.

Oh and I suppose Bremainers would allow another vote if they won? Your hypocrisy is astounding.
Original post by James.Carnell
Oh and I suppose Bremainers would allow another vote if they won? Your hypocrisy is astounding.

It's not up to the Bremainers lol. I'm saying that if it were the other way around, the Brexiters would be doing the same thing that we are and don't you dare say that isn't true.
Before the 23rd:

If anyone doesnt know. This person only posted part of Farage's statement and not the whole thing, in the same statement Farage stated he never wanted to see a second referendum, as he planned to win the first one, which he did.

Calling for a second referendum would have the whole world laughing at us, im sure the majority of pro remain wouldn't mind that as they lack any form of patriotism or pride in their country whatsoever.
It's not up to the Bremainers lol. I'm saying that if it were the other way around, the Brexiters would be doing the same thing that we are and don't you dare say that isn't true.

I don't think you can't comprehend how pissed off people would be with another vote. The consequences arising from it would make the fallout from this vote seem like a walk in the park. Bremainers pushing for a revote are absolute fantasists. How about I push for a revote on the general election... they lied!
How about I push for a revote on the Scottish Independence referendum... they lied!

Ridiculous.
Original post by Apocrypha
If anyone doesnt know. This person only posted part of Farage's statement and not the whole thing, in the same statement Farage stated he never wanted to see a second referendum, as he planned to win the first one, which he did.

Calling for a second referendum would have the whole world laughing at us, im sure the majority of pro remain wouldn't mind that as they lack any form of patriotism or pride in their country whatsoever.

There would be absolute chaos, and people would vote for more extreme parties and strongman figures. The politics that would be born from a forced revote would be devastating to this country. Think extreme left versus extreme right street battles and you would get the idea. And such divisions would cause real divide, not the divide we have the moment. But divide solidified indefinitely by blood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending