The Student Room Group

Smoking scenario

Just a scenario I was thinking about today. It may not be realistic, but imagine it was the case. I don't smoke, because it negatively impacts health.

However, if smoking..
1) didn't have any negative health impacts,
2) was more socially acceptable then it is today,
3) cheaper then it is today,
...but still...
4) produced the 'buzz' that you get from smoking,
5) still produced the same smell on your breath and clothes,

...would you smoke and why or why not?

Remember, it may not be realistic, but just imagine it was the case.
(edited 7 years ago)
still not smoke! because its not gonna happen :lol:
smoking is a mug's game.
Reply 3
Original post by fatima1998
still not smoke! because its not gonna happen :lol:

You're right it's not going to happen, but the point of the question was if you would based on the scenario
Original post by jakeg762
You're right it's not going to happen, but the point of the question was if you would based on the scenario

i dont like being addicted to anything e.g. gems, i am addicted to them which is bad :erm:
No way, smoking is disgusting. It makes you look like a chav and you stink
Reply 6
Still wouldn't because the smell is just plain nasty.
Just a scenario I was thinking about today. It may not be realistic, but imagine it was the case. I don't smoke, because it negatively impacts health.

However, if smoking..
...but still...

Firstly, I may be slightly biased as I do smoke but i'll try and answer this from the view of a non smoker.

If it didn't harm you health, but still produced the buzz that you get then I would because I get a benefit without negatives!

If it was more socially acceptable then likely far more people would smoke and if it was cheeper then those are also benefits.

From what I can see, the only real negative is people still having a 'smokers breath' and smell on their clothes. But if it was more socially acceptable to smoke then fewer people would be bothered.

In conclusion, your scenario basically takes smoking and removes most of the negatives, therefore to me while I can see that not everyone would smoke, I can imagine far more people taking it up because it has less of a negative view.

I am therefore slightly supprised by some of the other responders who mostly seem to be focusing on smoking as it is, rather then based on the scenario but I don't know.

However, if smoking..
...but still...

I do smoke but I only smoke decent stuff mainly petite coronas and Dunhill's that I get from an import dealer in Hertfordshire and I would still smoke as I already do occasionally

Quick Reply

Latest