The Student Room Group

Do you think UK is screwed after Brexit and will you leave the country?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elitepower
I do think this is a dark day and it is in for a hell of a rough ride. Curios to see how long it takes for Scotland to secure independence. I can't blame people wanting to leave. I left my hometown as I didn't like it and didn't want to have to live their all my life because I was born there. Now the UK has made a terrible mistake in most peoples eyes, one they didn't vote for so why shouldn't they just leave?

What was the mistake made by the UK in 'most people's' eyes?
Original post by XcitingStuart
You're as salty as the saltiest known to man - @Plagioclase @JordanL_

Might ask for a username change to this exciting new title, now that I've had multiple endorsements.
Original post by Apocrypha

Less than 50% of people voting. Most people :smile:

Apparently most means less than half now.
Original post by Brokensteps
Less than 50% of people voting. Most people :smile:

Apparently most means less than half now.

Indeed it does.. Haha
Reply 44
It wont be causing segregation. Sure, the racists had a day to celebrate something, doesnt mean they werent racist before. Not all leave voters are anti europeans, theyre mostly anti EU as a political body. It might be difficult and if you cant find one then move over, but at least try to find one. You never know :smile:

Awe thank you, that made me feel better =) I see what you mean with anti EU as a political force. Yeah its probably just paranoia being brought up on by the media, but these extremist nationalist parties are getting more and more supporters across Europe, I find it quite scary. Definitely not saying that is the same as leaving the EU, I just think now is a time to unite.
I voted remain and I don't think that the economy will become that bad. Maybe worse than it is currently, but not down the drain.

Also, I was always planning to move abroad after university. Hoping to be re-learning French and continuing with Mandarin Chinese. and I am fairly proficient in Cantonese Chinese. Shouldn't be too hard as I can easily get citizenship in Hong Kong (I did have it, but it expired...).
Original post by Londsan
Awe thank you, that made me feel better =) I see what you mean with anti EU as a political force. Yeah its probably just paranoia being brought up on by the media, but these extremist nationalist parties are getting more and more supporters across Europe, I find it quite scary. Definitely not saying that is the same as leaving the EU, I just think now is a time to unite.

I completely understand your stance. Its mostly because the EU is designed from the ground up to be as slow and stable as possible. Places outside london and manchester still have a lot of growth to do, which is why you saw a lot of votes there.

The media knows it can get a **** ton of views right now by telling the more "tech savvy" kids what they want to hear, which will get them lots of shares. Its ultimately what it boils down to. Angry mob of stay voters will be sharing everything on facebook, which you have already seen. They get more views.

We still love you. The UK still will be accepting EU students in, and the educated/skilled workers. Just more control over who. Heck, theres a small chance there might still be open borders. A very small chance.
piss off to the middle east where you will get a ton of democracy
Reply 48
Original post by frogs r everywhere
I would not call the UK "screwed", as quite obviously, it will not a be a failed 'independent' nation, as the Farage movement like to call it. However, the uncertainty that lies in the future of the UK is quite obvious. You may as well throw all the papers in the air, pick them up out of regret, shred them and re-compose all laws that will now need to be re-written thanks to Brexit. Uk may not be screwed, but it is definitely going downhill with the lack of answers and naughty politics.

Why oh why would a politician call a leader of the opposition as "useless", after resigning? Why would Scotland want to become independant after already holding their referendum? Shouldn't they support the UK with her exit, as it is the very Scottish that voted to remain within the United Kingdom? Are they now going to change their minds now, due to a joint decision that didin't favour the Scottish?

What laws need to be re-written?
I mean, the zombie apocalypse isn't going to happen or anything. But we have seriously hampered ourselves on the world stage and I would not be shocked if this marks a decline in the UK. Certainly at least in the "short" (3-5 years) we will perform poorly while we arrange leaving the EU and settle on our own.

Regarding moving abroad? I'm not ruling it out, but it is a serious commitment and not something to be undertaken lightly, despite the many people immediately stating they're 100% moving abroad. It hasn't done anything but increase my consideration of it. Personally I plan to see how the next few months go, what happens with Scotland and what sort of deal Britain can secure - who knows maybe we actually WILL secure better deals solo?
Reply 50
I completely understand your stance. Its mostly because the EU is designed from the ground up to be as slow and stable as possible. Places outside london and manchester still have a lot of growth to do, which is why you saw a lot of votes there.

The media knows it can get a **** ton of views right now by telling the more "tech savvy" kids what they want to hear, which will get them lots of shares. Its ultimately what it boils down to. Angry mob of stay voters will be sharing everything on facebook, which you have already seen. They get more views.

We still love you. The UK still will be accepting EU students in, and the educated/skilled workers. Just more control over who. Heck, theres a small chance there might still be open borders. A very small chance.

Oh yeah, completely agree with what you said about media and everything else. It's quite funny in a way, papers that were pro Brexit are now well...not for Remain I would say but they are feeding on the uncertainty.

Awe, thank you =). But yeah, it really depends what deal UK get with EU. I lived and worked in Norway and that was really easy. Less paper work than to move here actually
Original post by Apocrypha

Meant to say many
Original post by asim1999
I am not too sure but a lot of my friends want to leave after they get their degrees. Since i am in Year 12, we were all underage my only a few months to vote.
Do you think we are screwed and will you like to leave the UK?

Actually, I am getting my Math degree this year, and then I'm moving to do an MSc CompSci in Germany in September. I don't want to settle anywhere yet so hopefully my British passport will suffice. I want to have the experience of working and travelling in countries like Italy, Norway, Luxembourg etc.
Reply 53
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Laws regarding the rights of EU citizens who reside in the UK including laws concerning immigration.

The way you phrased it made it seem that there was a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending