The Student Room Group

Are women unnatural for not wanting children

My male cousin says that he does not want children but when I told him that I don't either he said that it was unusual for a woman as they are supposed to want them, apparently it's unnatural. I said that I don't think it's any more unnatural than for a man as I think women mainly get the desire to nurture after the child is born, hormones kick in etc. Of course people choose to have kids both male and female due to wanting to start a family but I thought the natural/biological drive was more towards having sex than actually wanting a child. With men when the child is born they will feel the instinct to protect and provide. Don't know if what I've typed makes any sense lol hopefully you get what I mean hah but yea what do you think.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My male cousin says that he does not want children but when I told him that I don't either he said that it was unusual for a woman as they are supposed to want them, apparently it's unnatural. I said that I don't think it's any more unnatural than for a man as I think women mainly get the desire to nurture after the child is born, hormones kick in etc. Of course people choose to have kids both male and female due to wanting to start a family but I thought the natural/biological drive was more towards having sex than actually wanting a child. With men when the child is born they will feel the instinct to protect and provide. Don't know if what I've typed makes any sense lol hopefully you get what I mean hah but yea what do you think.

he is being stereotypical :sigh:
Women not wanting children is no more unnatural than men not wanting them. The purpose of all life is to reproduce and create more life, ensure the survival of the species, but at the same time I think it's safe to say a) we've evolved enough to think beyond those base biological impulses and b) the population of the world isn't solely in our hands (or ovaries). Society is still relatively outdated in that it tends to put pressure on women who don't want children, but you should never be made to think that you are weird or unnatural or cold for not wanting them. Some people just don't. And if you don't, it's far better for everyone that you stay true to that. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for being happy without them.
Nothing wrong with women not wanting children, any more than men not wanting children.

Although incidentally the number of people not wanting children tends to decrease a fair amount as they get older and realise they need to make a decision in the next 1-4 years rather than in 10+ years time.
If it occurs in nature it is natural. Therefore it is natural.
I will probably get stick for this but personally I think it is. If you strip away all ideology such as political ideology feminism etc then it is likely women will adhere to their body's natural callings which is to reproduce
Reply 7
Original post by neal95
I will probably get stick for this but personally I think it is. If you strip away all ideology such as political ideology feminism etc then it is likely women will adhere to their body's natural callings which is to reproduce

In this case men have the natural calling to reproduce too though, they arguably want sex more so than women. Women do the nuturing men help with this, protect and provide. Although biologically without societies views (without the pressure to have a baby from society) the biological urge is not conscious until the baby is born. Its the sexual urge that is conscious.
Reply 8
In all honesty i think that it is on the basis that your essentially failing in your biological role. I don't think such people should be punished or discriminated against obviously but from my point of view, if you were my girlfriend and refused to bear my children, i'd see no future.
I'm not sure if the men's urge is really to protect and provide but mainly to spread his genes to as many people as possible. That doesn't necessarily correlate to wanting to provide for that family however there is differences once you get into the specifics such as alpha males lol. The sexual urge on the woman's side will be to reproduce, not for pleasure if there was no society

In this case men have the natural calling to reproduce too though, they arguably want sex more so than women. Women do the nuturing men help with this, protect and provide. Although biologically without societies views (without the pressure to have a baby from society) the biological urge is not conscious until the baby is born. Its the sexual urge that is conscious.
Original post by Rakas21
In all honesty i think that it is on the basis that your essentially failing in your biological role. I don't think such people should be punished or discriminated against obviously but from my point of view, if you were my girlfriend and refused to bear my children, i'd see no future.

This guys sums it up for me I will go with that description rather than mine
Kinda, I always thought that women are naturally inclined to have children. I mean, God intended us to "go forth and multiply".
Yes, you are clearly genetically inferior to other women and completely unnatural for not wanting children.
Original post by Rakas21

Men without children fail in their biological role to protect and provide for their genetic offspring too though.Some take on/adopt step children etc to kind of fulfil this just like women can kind of fulfill the nuturing role through adoption. Or caring role through looking after pets lol.
Original post by ericcarlson1
Kinda, I always thought that women are naturally inclined to have children. I mean, God intended us to "go forth and multiply".

I always thought that both genders naturally want children, many men and women will say they want them.
Men without children fail in their biological role to protect and provide for their genetic offspring too though.Some take on/adopt step children etc to kind of fulfil this just like women can kind of fulfill the nuturing role through adoption. Or caring role through looking after pets lol.

Sure, but that depends on finding a partner who does not want you to further his bloodline.

For men like me who want an heir of pure blood, your an inferior prospect compared to a woman who wants your children.
Reply 16
No. Your cousin's ignorant. Many men want children more than is "stereotypical," too.

Original post by TaintedLight
Obviously there maybe a psychological or genetic defect in you but people will preach you should embrace and accept it with pride :tongue:

Stupidest post I've seen today :rolleyes:
Original post by neal95
I'm not sure if the men's urge is really to protect and provide

I was always taught and read that biologically thats what men are built for to protect and provide for family, thats why the male is bigger/stronger ie like a lion. Apparantly it why they have higher aggression too. Of course i dont think that men should have to follow their biological role people can do as they please.
It's probably more beneficial for women not to have children given we don't exactly have a population crisis..
Original post by Rakas21
Sure, but that depends on finding a partner who does not want you to further his bloodline.

For men like me who want an heir of pure blood, your an inferior prospect compared to a woman who wants your children.

Heir of pure blood! :tongue:. If i was a guy i would actually want children since the nuturing and bringing up would be fine but i dont want to go through pregnancy, i cant even stand periods and all that. I do sports instead im more of a hunter that brings home fish (not literally).

Quick Reply

Latest