The Student Room Group

What does Brexit means for young people? Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Do they?

I was under the impression Schengen rules still applied to Switzerland. I know they had a referendum to cap immigration from EU but it's not yet in force is it?

Honestly Shengen Area is basically just there to address weaknesses with the EFTA/EEA whereby border checks were causing problems and the Shengen Area stops these checks in common borders.

Seems you may be right about the referendum though. I was aware of the referendum but thought that this was purely to make it even harder to immigrate than it already was.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gbanzer89
Switzerland never joined the EU or the EEA exactly, but joined the EFTA only on the provision that they retain rights to decide who lives in the country. The rules regarding immigration and work in Swiss can be pretty complicated depending on the situation.

Generally, you are allowed entry to live in the country if you have an offer of work. This living permit lasts only as long as your work contract remains valid. If the contract expires, you have just three months to find a new job/employer sponsor otherwise you have to leave. Usually if you have a fixed term contract, the permit will fit to a few months after the end of that contract and it's up to you to gain a new job and get the permit extended if you wish to stay. Usually a simple affair just by going to the local kantonal government.

As far as working goes though, you can enter the country for work pretty easily. Get a job offer, then you'll be sent an AHV letter containing your tax information and card and also details of your visa including expiration. AHV is responsible for healthcare contributions for the elderly, disabled etc. and also for other governmental fees. This comes out of your wage automatically every month in the same way it does in the UK with National Insurance contributions.

The free rights movement of Switzerland only extends basically to entering the country as a visitor or for temporary work (upto 3 months) and this kind of work is the kind of work where you are sent by an international business for example consultancy whereby you would be assisting somebody in a professional capacity for a short time but employed by an outside company.

The shengen area is even more basic. It only allows you to pass through borders of relevant countries in most part without passport control when travelling by land. Obviously travelling by sea or air still has control. This is on the assumption that your passport would have already been checked on entry into the Shengen Area. In addition, the UK isn't a Shengen Area country, and neither is Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria or Cyprus. The Shengen Area came about in 1985 to solve problems with the free movement laws set out by the EEA/EFTA whereby border checks were slowing everything down and making cross border commuting too troublesome.

Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Original post by jneill
Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

just edited my post due to fact checking making me ask questions myself lol sorry *embarrassed face*. Very interesting that you taught me this though. My wife, as a Liechtensteinerin, was under the impression that both Liechtenstein and Switzerland shared the same immigration policy considering they are both neighbouring countries, share the same currency, mostly have the same laws and postage system (post sent to for example 9495 Triesen, Switzerland are in fact sent to Liechtenstein because they share the same 4 digit Postleitzahl (postcode) system). We moved to Liechtenstein 4 years ago as it's her home country and we thought Switzerland immigration was too complicated, so we have basically been paying more rent than we could have been had we been living in Switzerland :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Will tuition fees for eu students rise to those of international students? and if they do when will that be? And will it affect people starting their courses in 2017? Will they be changed through the middle of the course?
What does it mesn for NHS funded courses in university?

Will it affect the chance of me getting onto a medicine course in anyway?

What happens to the tuition fees, loans and grants?
I'm 16, just finished my GCSEs, but I'm planning on going to uni, in a few years time, in Germany. Before Brexit, I was able to go there for free - no tuition fees, but now, with brexit is it still the same, or will I have to pay £60,000 like everyone else outside the EEA???
Reply 146
Hi as the postgraduate Loan is not yet open, I wonder if it will still happen and if eu students will still be eligible ?
Original post by gbanzer89
just edited my post due to fact checking making me ask questions myself lol sorry *embarrassed face*. Very interesting that you taught me this though. My wife, as a Liechtensteinerin, was under the impression that both Liechtenstein and Switzerland shared the same immigration policy considering they are both neighbouring countries, share the same currency, mostly have the same laws and postage system (post sent to for example 9495 Triesen, Switzerland are in fact sent to Liechtenstein because they share the same 4 digit Postleitzahl (postcode) system). We moved to Liechtenstein 4 years ago as it's her home country and we thought Switzerland immigration was too complicated, so we have basically been paying more rent than we could have been had we been living in Switzerland :/

Glad to be of service :smile:

Although is Switzerland cheaper. Seemed v v expensive when I was there a couple of weeks ago..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Everyone asking about EU students this year: https://twitter.com/jojohnsonmp/status/747372095772950528

Jo johnson is the minister in charge of universities. Has confirmed those starting in the Autumn 2016 will receive funding/home fees for the duration of their degrees.

image.png
Original post by jneill
Glad to be of service :smile:

Although is Switzerland cheaper. Seemed v v expensive when I was there a couple of weeks ago..

Posted from TSR Mobile

cheaper than Liechtenstein, yeah lol. Same currency but Liechtenstein generally costs more from living expenses. Thankfully a shopping trip can save you money with a short drive over the border to Austria and you even get to claim back money on the border thanks to Liechtenstein/Swiss not applying European taxes (so the Austrian taxes are refunded).
Original post by PQ
Everyone asking about EU students this year: https://twitter.com/jojohnsonmp/status/747372095772950528

Jo johnson is the minister in charge of universities. Has confirmed those starting in the Autumn 2016 will receive funding/home fees for the duration of their degrees.

image.png

And statement from Student Loan Company
http://www.slc.co.uk/media/latest-news/eu-nationals-and-student-finance-in-england.aspx

Although it should be noted this only applies to students currently at university or starting in 2016.

2017 onwards is still up in the air... (but likely to be no change for a year or two).
Original post by The-Hof123
I'm 16, just finished my GCSEs, but I'm planning on going to uni, in a few years time, in Germany. Before Brexit, I was able to go there for free - no tuition fees, but now, with brexit is it still the same, or will I have to pay £60,000 like everyone else outside the EEA???

As the UK is the only country with exorbitant high fees: No, Germany values education very high and sees it as a right to offer it for free. I think it is highly unlikely they introduce special fees for UK students, though you could loose your right to study with A Levels at some universities, as they will be no more bound to accept them as equivalent. (At worst, that would mean one additional year of university preperation school in Germany.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BizzStrut
I'm considering working in finance (IB). What impact do you think Brexit will have on this sector and do what do you see as the future for finance in London removed fro the EU?

I'm in the same situation bro! There will definitely be less investment in the UK and firms such as citi presumably will employ less people as their tariffs will increase. JP Morgan has already announced they are moving their headquarters from London to an EU country, putting 2000 bankers out of work.
Original post by Nathanielle
As the UK is the only country with exorbitant high fees: No, Germany values education very high and sees it as a right to offer it for free. I think it is highly unlikely they introduce special fees for UK students, though you could loose your right to study with A Levels at some universities, as they will be no more bound to accept them as equivalent. (At worst, that would mean one additional year of university preperation school in Germany.)

Oh okay, thank you soo much! My only concern was with the rest of the world, outside the EEA, like we might be due to Brexit, they have to pay around £60,000 fees
Reply 154
This Q&A has taken place. Anymore questions asked will NOT be answered. This is a discussion thread only now.
Original post by Nathanielle

Well, I don't think Brexit will change anything in terms of studying at Uni in Germany, but A Levels aren't sufficient in Germany already now. That is because the German Abitur requires you to do humanities, sciences, languages, maths and German, which is impossible to cover with four A Levels... So to study in Germany you have to take more A Levels than what is usual, otherwise it'll only be recognized as "Fachabitur" in Germany which doesn't really allow you to study any subject at uni...
I'm part of a small group that started a 'Not my vote' petition on Change.org to demand that European leaders don't forget that nearly half the country didn't vote for Brexit ahead of their meeting on Wednesday. It's got 30,000 signatures and rising. If your interested, you can find it here: https://www.change.org/p/open-letter-to-eu-leaders-not-my-vote-6d330d54-369b-41ce-a569-47a312a8049f. Thanks.
For anyone who'd like to continue the debate, we're hosting a live Q&A at 9.30am on 29th June with Dr Philip Catney, Senior Lecturer in Politics, and Robert Ladrech, Professor of European Politics here at Keele.

They'll be discussing the outcome of the EU Referendum, and what this means for the UK.

If you have any questions and would like to get involved with the discussion, you can send them to us in advance;

email [email protected],or get in touch via Twitter @KeeleUniversity, Facebook and Snapchat - keeleuniversity

You can also join in with the debate live on Facebook and Periscope from 9.30am in the morning.
Original post by elitepower
This is absolutely terrifying. Is there anything we can do - petitions, contacting MPs ect - to revert these actions?

David Cameron has already ruled out (basically scrapped) a 2nd referendum.
Original post by Boreism
David Cameron has already ruled out (basically scrapped) a 2nd referendum.

He won't be in charge soon.

Quick Reply