The Student Room Group

Simple Flaw in EU Referendum Losers Petition

Scroll to see replies

feel the lovely clean air rushing against your fur my little lemmings. now you are free.
Original post by Lanterne Rouge
The bitter Bremainers want a 75% turnout (with 60% share) for the result to be valid. That incentivises "status quo" (IN) supporters to not actually vote, because turnout wouldn't be high enough for the result to stand. It makes a complete mockery of democracy.

Anyone on the dark side have any response to this?

P.S. I'm still not entirely sure why people are so angry. We've made a great decision, and must stick with it.

We've made a great decision have we? You've literally transferred power from some already unreasonable politicians to some far worse ones, who have already back peddled on promises, who have already turned this country's economy upside down - and the whole world is either laughing at us or hates us right now.

You Brexiteers won't see the instant results you want. Life will feel identical to now, just with different, more stuck up leaders. You will not notice the excessively small decline in immigration, assuming it occurs.You will not notice a single extra penny being spent on the NHS, and by the time it does get some extra funding because of Brexit, there will be other problems to focus on. The areas which benefited most from the EU will lose their funding, problems will become worse, people will find a new scapegoat and they will blame them for the economic downturn. Standard, moderate politics will be replaced by divisive far-right tories and UKIP.

And now let's focus on international issues. Other countries have far-right, anti-EU parties which will gain momentum. We could easily see a set of divisive, self-focusing leaders across France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Belgium, etc... At which point the EU will collapse, all leaders will act solely in their self interest - which will give tyrants like Putin the political and economic leverage to amplify his aggressive expansionism. Scotland will have a referendum, and has a high chance of leaving - which will pave the way for Northern Ireland to leave as well. The UK will become Little England, concentrated with bitter international relations.

Its basically another 4 years of broken promises, immigrant-hatred, far-right politics. And all for a tiny little bit of 'more democracy' or 'sovreignty'. Labour is a mess, the Tory party is a mess, UKIP will gain popularity and a UKIP government would be not too far off the GOP in the USA, they can and will impose divisive sanctions, and now you've given them the leverage to make their own laws. Did anyone tell you about the time Nigel Farage called for lax gun laws?

Yes, I am worried for this stupid country, we had an opportunity to show that the 21st century is about being a part of something greater than ourselves. We had a chance to show that we choose hope and international co-operation, rather than isolationism. The consequences of this referendum will be widespread and destructive. You will not get your pathetic £350 million per week, our NHS will collapse, and things will feel identical to before. I think 'crying' is completely justified in the wake of the chaotic last 72 hours, and the unpredictable 4 years to come.
Original post by WhisperingTide
Wait - why am I mad?
I'm just point out that some people legitimately are regretting it, and can you blame them?
If somebody voted mostly because of the promised £350million to the NHS, and it turns out that was a lie, why must they be 'mad' to want to vote again? The long term effects don't matter; the thing they voted for was a lie. We're not waiting to see whether it was a lie or not, they aren't jumping to conclusions preemptively, that WAS a lie.
Makes perfect sense.

People don't care whether it was £350 million or £250 million we're giving away to the EU. That isn't going to change anyone's vote. It is still far too much.

Btw, You're now conveniently forgetting the Remain lies, which were much worse, and greater in number. Where is Osborne's doomsday budget? And why hasn't anyone answered the original question?
People don't care whether it was £350 million or £250 million we're giving away to the EU. That isn't going to change anyone's vote. It is still far too much.

Btw, You're now conveniently forgetting the Remain lies, which were much worse, and greater in number. Where is Osborne's doomsday budget? And why hasn't anyone answered the original question?

At least the remain camp was advocating the better decision though.
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
At least the remain camp was advocating the better decision though.

In your opinion. Which is the minority opinion. :smile:
In your opinion. Which is the minority opinion. :smile:

Doubt its minority anymore tbh, a re-run of an opinion poll would show a massive increase in remain support based on the last two-three days.
Reply 26
Doubt its minority anymore tbh, a re-run of an opinion poll would show a massive increase in remain support based on the last two-three days.

An official ComRes poll found that 1% of Leave voters were unhappy with the outcome.

And that 4% of Remain voters were happy with the outcome.

So I doubt it, the only increase in support would be from some young people who didn't bother to vote the first time, and that's their own fault.
Original post by Samiz
An official ComRes poll found that 1% of Leave voters were unhappy with the outcome.

So I doubt it, the only increase in support would be from some young people who didn't bother to vote the first time, and that's their own fault.

Whilst polls can hardly be trusted, I think this shows that the apparent "change in feeling" is utter rubbish. I don't know where that has come from, apart from a few anecdotes from Facebook/Twitter.
Reply 28
Whilst polls can hardly be trusted, I think this shows that the apparent "change in feeling" is utter rubbish. I don't know where that has come from, apart from a few anecdotes from Facebook/Twitter.

Agreed, you'd think it was the majority of leave voters. I was watching the news yesterday and they did a whole piece on it; the reporter went around a whole town. They interviewed 2 people in total, who had post-vote anxiety basically. It's pathetic.
Original post by Samiz

Those same polls which predicted a victory for Remain.

It's simply incorrect and unrepresentative, plus dissatisfaction with leave will increase with time.
Reply 30
Original post by democracyforum
An offer to those wanting a second referendum :

Rather than have another referendum,
why not just convince the current government to postpone article 50 ?

We are after all, in the EU for the next 3 months. The referendum is not legally binding, and they can in theory just ignore it.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice. When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never".

Honestly that's what I've been thinking. Some serious bizarre decision making skills.

It'd be far more practical to petition local MPs to vote in, to fight against a potential three line party whip.
Reply 31
Those same polls which predicted a victory for Remain.

It's simply incorrect and unrepresentative, plus dissatisfaction with leave will increase with time.

Please can I have next week's lotto numbers?
FUN FACT: This petition was actually set up by Leave voters that were expecting to lose.
We've made a great decision have we? You've literally transferred power from some already unreasonable politicians to some far worse ones, who have already back peddled on promises, who have already turned this country's economy upside down - and the whole world is either laughing at us or hates us right now.

You Brexiteers won't see the instant results you want. Life will feel identical to now, just with different, more stuck up leaders. You will not notice the excessively small decline in immigration, assuming it occurs.You will not notice a single extra penny being spent on the NHS, and by the time it does get some extra funding because of Brexit, there will be other problems to focus on. The areas which benefited most from the EU will lose their funding, problems will become worse, people will find a new scapegoat and they will blame them for the economic downturn. Standard, moderate politics will be replaced by divisive far-right tories and UKIP.

And now let's focus on international issues. Other countries have far-right, anti-EU parties which will gain momentum. We could easily see a set of divisive, self-focusing leaders across France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Belgium, etc... At which point the EU will collapse, all leaders will act solely in their self interest - which will give tyrants like Putin the political and economic leverage to amplify his aggressive expansionism. Scotland will have a referendum, and has a high chance of leaving - which will pave the way for Northern Ireland to leave as well. The UK will become Little England, concentrated with bitter international relations.

Its basically another 4 years of broken promises, immigrant-hatred, far-right politics. And all for a tiny little bit of 'more democracy' or 'sovreignty'. Labour is a mess, the Tory party is a mess, UKIP will gain popularity and a UKIP government would be not too far off the GOP in the USA, they can and will impose divisive sanctions, and now you've given them the leverage to make their own laws. Did anyone tell you about the time Nigel Farage called for lax gun laws?

Yes, I am worried for this stupid country, we had an opportunity to show that the 21st century is about being a part of something greater than ourselves. We had a chance to show that we choose hope and international co-operation, rather than isolationism. The consequences of this referendum will be widespread and destructive. You will not get your pathetic £350 million per week, our NHS will collapse, and things will feel identical to before. I think 'crying' is completely justified in the wake of the chaotic last 72 hours, and the unpredictable 4 years to come.

You're in a cheery mood today :h:
In 20 years time, we'll hopefully look back on this as the best democratic decision ever made in Britain. We'll have left a collapsing EU, regained power over our own decisions, left immigration at manageable levels. We can choose who we trade with, and open up to the Commonwealth, China and the USA. We won't be in a united superstate of Europe. Funding can go to services that need it most. A short period of economic uncertainty will be almost forgotten, a small price to pay for independence from Brussels.

Don't be so gloomy. I'm normally a pessimist myself, and expected to lose this refrendum. But now, I've never been happier.
Reply 34
Original post by JordanL_
FUN FACT: This petition was actually set up by Leave voters that were expecting to lose.

Fun fact it was mainly signed by 4chan users using scripts to show how the media doesn't fact check their claims
You're in a cheery mood today :h:
In 20 years time, we'll hopefully look back on this as the best democratic decision ever made in Britain. We'll have left a collapsing EU, regained power over our own decisions, left immigration at manageable levels. We can choose who we trade with, and open up to the Commonwealth, China and the USA. We won't be in a united superstate of Europe. Funding can go to services that need it most. A short period of economic uncertainty will be almost forgotten, a small price to pay for independence from Brussels.

Don't be so gloomy. I'm normally a pessimist myself, and expected to lose this refrendum. But now, I've never been happier.

The EU wasn't collapsing until we decided to make it collapse.

We've regained power to repeal 40 years of employment rights, consumer rights, animal welfare and environmental protection.

Immigration isn't going to change, as the Vote Leave leadership said yesterday.

We could already choose who to trade with, but we had an extremely beneficial trade deal with the EU.

We just left the biggest economy in the world, so we're a lower priority for trade deals with the US and China.

Funding isn't going to go to the services that need it the most, because we've told the people giving millions to the poorest areas of the country to **** off, and given full control to the Tory government responsible for the bedroom tax.
Reply 36

We've regained power to repeal 40 years of employment rights, consumer rights, animal welfare and environmental protection.

We could already choose who to trade with, but we had an extremely beneficial trade deal with the EU.

We just left the biggest economy in the world, so we're a lower priority for trade deals with the US and China.

Funding isn't going to go to the services that need it the most, because we've told the people giving millions to the poorest areas of the country to **** off, and given full control to the Tory government responsible for the bedroom tax.

So we've gained power to self-govern what a terrible thing

Please don't pretend to care about people from poor areas after you have said they shouldn't be allowed to vote.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
So we've gained power to self-govern what a terrible thing

Please don't pretend to care about people from poor areas after you have said they shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I live in a ****ing poor area.
Reply 38

You're wrong on trade. Being in the EU we can't negotiate trade deals and the EU are awful at trade deals- out of our top 10 non EU export markets, the EU only has free trade deals with 2. Switzerland has 7.

So let's not pretend EU is good for trade deals when Iceland has a trade deal with China and the EU doesn't.

Also in what, 2 days, after the vote, Canada, America, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Ghana, Switzerland, Iceland, Brazil, Norway to name a few have all spoke out, essentially reaching out to Britain talking about close trading relationships.

We will have a deal continuing our access to the single market (we have a trade deficit, Germany needs us especially for their cars, the boss of German industry came out and said it would be foolish to put up trade barriers etc), and we'll be able to negotiate our own trade deals which the EU are so bad at.

The 'repeal' of rights is yet more typical remain scaremongering. Give it up. Yes, we're definitely going to get rid of the likes of discrimination acts and equal pay acts (even though the UK legislated for these before they joined the EU).

Some positives are being able to get rid of things such as tampon tax and the VAT on fuel (but hey, what does positive mean to remainers?).

"We've given control to the Tories" is the single most ironic argument from remainers. You're right. We've given full control to our own British government. The one that we can vote out every 5 years if we don't like it... ..... ........ ...........
Original post by Samiz

The 'repeal' of rights is yet more typical remain scaremongering. Give it up. Yes, we're definitely going to get rid of the likes of discrimination acts and equal pay acts (even though the UK legislated for these before they joined the EU).

Some positives are being able to get rid of things such as tampon tax and the VAT on fuel (but hey, what does positive mean to remainers?).

We are going to get rid the discrimination act? Hahaha. Only a UKIP Lunatic would suggest that.

They could have already reduced VAT on fuel and etc. They didn't and they are not going to now. That would be daft with such a big current account deficit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending