The Student Room Group

transferred course in year 1, now repeating a year

Hi all,

I transferred course at the end of year 1, so received full student finance for that year.
I am now in the second year of the new course but I am now in the situation where I have to repeat second year.
My understanding is that student finance will cover you for the length of your course +1 year. So does that mean I will receive full finance for the repeat second year and third year? Or will they also take into account the original funding for the previous course?

This is something I need to know as there is no way I could possibly finance myself for the third year of my course so would have to drop out at this point.
Original post by Meme4
Hi all,

I transferred course at the end of year 1, so received full student finance for that year.
I am now in the second year of the new course but I am now in the situation where I have to repeat second year.
My understanding is that student finance will cover you for the length of your course +1 year. So does that mean I will receive full finance for the repeat second year and third year? Or will they also take into account the original funding for the previous course?

This is something I need to know as there is no way I could possibly finance myself for the third year of my course so would have to drop out at this point.

So you've used 3 years of funding so far?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
So you've used 3 years of funding so far?

Correct
Original post by Meme4
Correct

In that case for the repeat year, its likely you'd only get a tuition fee loan and minimum maintenance loan, unless you have compelling personal reasons you can claim to get your gift year back?
Reply 4
In that case for the repeat year, its likely you'd only get a tuition fee loan and minimum maintenance loan, unless you have compelling personal reasons you can claim to get your gift year back?

So I would get a tuition fee loan for the repeat year and final year?

It was my understanding I would have to pay the tuition fee myself for the repeat year, but I am not certain on this
Original post by Meme4
So I would get a tuition fee loan for the repeat year and final year?

It was my understanding I would have to pay the tuition fee myself for the repeat year, but I am not certain on this

My apologies, just double checked and you are correct, maintenance loans are the only thing you can get for a repeat year and your final year will be fully covered.
Reply 6
My apologies, just double checked and you are correct, maintenance loans are the only thing you can get for a repeat year and your final year will be fully covered.

Thanks,

I would guess repeating the year externally and covering my own maintenance fees through work is my only option.

Thing is, when I log onto my student finance account, it says payment are ready to be made for 2016/17. I imagine this would change when they see I am repeating second year rather than moving into third year?
Original post by Meme4
Thanks,

I would guess repeating the year externally and covering my own maintenance fees through work is my only option.

Thing is, when I log onto my student finance account, it says payment are ready to be made for 2016/17. I imagine this would change when they see I am repeating second year rather than moving into third year?

Yes i presume so and yes it will change when you tell them you are repeating a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending