The Student Room Group

How would you react if parliament blocked EU exit?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJBay123
The Lib Dems and some other MP's have already stated that they will try to block it.
If they are, somehow, successful, how would you react?

With the greatest of relief.

Boris says there's "no rush", code for "let's look at this whole thing again now that its done its job and got rid of Dave".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Which history book? I am busy preparing the northern troops (Including Derby)

Prince Charles Edward Stuart turned back north at Derby.
Original post by rxns_00
This should never have been a public decision, it should've been parliamentary from the start.

The public are quite frankly too stupid and too gullible to make such important decisions. This isn't just an election that can be fixed in a few years, this would be a permanent mistake.

I will be very glad if they do block it. Don't see why experienced MPs should follow the opinions of the uninformed public on a matter where one choice is clearly the wrong choice.

Shudda just let Tony Blair decide everything and run the show indefinitely.. *******s to people electing MPS and votes and telling us what they want
Original post by nulli tertius

I don't think the Highlanders will be joining the Leaver march from the North on this occasion.
Original post by nulli tertius

I had to google him... rest assured Charles had nothing on me. It appears he had the moniker "The Pretender" ... i hope you are not insinuating i am a pretender or you shall be the first southerner deep fried and fed to hungry angry northern blokes
They wont block it, because we the people have voted, democracy and all that.

There would be riots and backlash

They probably dont have enough numbers to block it

Most politicians would follow the peoples vote

Its too late, the changes have already started you cant just go to the eu and say "its just a prank bro"

And i voted remain.
Shudda just let Tony Blair decide everything and run the show indefinitely.. *******s to people electing MPS and votes and telling us what they want

What are you talking about please? Democracy does not work in a referendum where only one option is sensible. The "majority", which is hardly a majority, were misinformed and unaware of the consequence of their vote. Sorry but a country cannot rely on the subjective opinions of the gullible public, especially when majority have no idea what's going on!
Original post by Unsolved_Mistry
They wont block it, because we the people have voted, democracy and all that.

There would be riots and backlash

They probably dont have enough numbers to block it

Most politicians would follow the peoples vote

Its too late, the changes have already started you cant just go to the eu and say "its just a prank bro"

And i voted remain.

They could. The outcome of the referendum is not binding by law
Original post by Fenice
Um, no. Leave won by a majority. A majority of around one million. If some Remain supporters couldn't be bothered to get off their arses to the local church then tough titties I'm afraid. The argument that the intention was there has no legitimacy.

1 million is not majority. Not when one side is 16m+ and the other 17m+. 3% difference between the vote is also not majority. In fact, the vote is practically equally divided. If for example leave would be 25m and remain 5m then yes, that would be majority. But a 1m/3% difference is not majority.

The word majority means "over half", do you see "over half" of the voters being on the leave side? Yeah exactly, you don't

Please go educate yourself before you comment. Sometimes reading a history or politics book is much more beneficial for you than Wikipedia or a calculator 😊
Original post by katherine9609
1 million is not majority. Not when one side is 16m+ and the other 17m+. 3% difference between the vote is also not majority. In fact, the vote is practically equally divided. If for example leave would be 25m and remain 5m then yes, that would be majority. But a 1m/3% difference is not majority.

The word majority means "over half", do you see "over half" of the voters being on the leave side? Yeah exactly, you don't

Please go educate yourself before you comment. Sometimes reading a history or politics book is much more beneficial for you than Wikipedia or a calculator 😊

...wot
51.9% of voters are on the leave side
48.1% of voters are on the remain side

50% of the voters is half of the voters
51.9% > 50%
over half..

I am not sure what you are getting at..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
...wot
51.9% of voters are on the leave side
48.1% of voters are on the remain side

50% of the voters is half of the voters
51.9% > 50%
over half..

I am not sure what you are getting at..

3% difference is not over half. 1 million with 16m remain/17m leave is not over half either.

Over half would be for example 66% leave 34% remain etc. But not 48.1% against 51.9%
3% difference is not over half. 1 million with 16m remain/17m leave is not over half either.

Over half would be for example 66% leave 34% remain etc. But not 48.1% against 51.9%

Majority in this case simply means more than half the votes.
That means more than 50% of the votes. More than 50% of the votes are for leave. Therefore leave have a majority. The exact size of the difference is irrelevant, so far as the result is concerned, provided that that condition is met.
Original post by rxns_00
What are you talking about please? Democracy does not work in a referendum where only one option is sensible. The "majority", which is hardly a majority, were misinformed and unaware of the consequence of their vote. Sorry but a country cannot rely on the subjective opinions of the gullible public, especially when majority have no idea what's going on!

You sum up the Remain camp. Utterly smug, condescending, patronising, belittling and arrogant and then you guys have the audacity to act surprised when you lose.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Majority in this case simply means more than half the votes.
That means more than 50% of the votes. More than 50% of the votes are for leave. Therefore leave have a majority. The exact size of the difference is irrelevant, so far as the result is concerned, provided that that condition is met.

You seem like you simply cannot understand that one side CAN win by a minority vote. 16m against 17m is NOT majority and never will be. It's simple maths. It's not that complex and difficult to understand and accept the fact
Original post by rxns_00

Thats exactly what i said! The public are idiots and should never be asked for their opinion. Just have 1 leader to rule until he doesnt want to.
Original post by pol pot noodles
You sum up the Remain camp. Utterly smug, condescending, patronising, belittling and arrogant and then you guys have the audacity to act surprised when you lose.

And how exactly did you come up with those adjectives from that post? Patronising? Belittling? Because I'm objectively saying the leave voters have been fed lies? And were not aware of the real facts, statistics and predictions and therefore made an uninformed choice? I'm not even blaming the leave voters as they didn't know any better.

If the UK goes ahead with the leaving process the leave voters will regret their choices even more so than they already do. It's not about winning or losing, I don't care if our side has "lost" as you put it. I care about the future of this country and it is not on the right path, and if anything it's simply heading for recession. It is not something subjective, it's entirely objective based on the correct information from experts and truthful politicians.
You seem like you simply cannot understand that one side CAN win by a minority vote. 16m against 17m is NOT majority and never will be. It's simple maths. It's not that complex and difficult to understand and accept the fact

What bizarre system are you using. You originally said

"The word majority means "over half", do you see "over half" of the voters being on the leave side? Yeah exactly, you don't "
But you do. 51.9% of the voters is over half of the voters. I'll keep repeating this because it keeps being true, I don't know what you're on about.
Thats exactly what i said! The public are idiots and should never be asked for their opinion. Just have 1 leader to rule until he doesnt want to.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.
Democracy is all well and good in things such a general election, where people pick what sort of policies they support and it is fine to have subjective opinions. However something irreversible such as this shouldn't be a decision made by the public. It should be discussed by people with experience and the democratic vote should have been done between them.
It's not about what the public want when it comes to this, "we want sovereignty" is all great until the economy starts to crumble and we enter recession. Personal opinion should not take part in this, it should be completely based on correct predictions and factual information.
Original post by rxns_00
And how exactly did you come up with those adjectives from that post? Patronising? Belittling? Because I'm objectively saying the leave voters have been fed lies? And were not aware of the real facts, statistics and predictions and therefore made an uninformed choice? I'm not even blaming the leave voters as they didn't know any better.

If the UK goes ahead with the leaving process the leave voters will regret their choices even more so than they already do. It's not about winning or losing, I don't care if our side has "lost" as you put it. I care about the future of this country and it is not on the right path, and if anything it's simply heading for recession. It is not something subjective, it's entirely objective based on the correct information from experts and truthful politicians.

Calling your opinions objective. Claiming only the other side lied. Saying people who disagree with you simply didn't know better or are uninformed. I'm not sure what's worse, that you are all the adjectives I described, all that you don't realise it.
(edited 7 years ago)
The old folks have voted to Leave, but for what reason? We have to face the fact that it is our future, not theirs. They've had their say, it's not fair for them to force the entire country into a potentially disastrous situation!! I think the job of the EU campaigns was to encourage Young people to take part in particular 18-24 year old to show them that their votes matter, but this just was not done. It's a shame.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending