The Student Room Group

Think you're part of an oppressed demographic... try being a young white male

I can literally not have an opinion on anything these days without my race, gender and sexuality being insulted and given as a reason for my "disgusting views".

I think we should have more nuclear energy and it should have less strict safety regulations, but I'm a white man so I must a "capitalist fat cat".

I think that the recent shootings are a horrible tragedy, but I'm straight and white, therefore by speaking out about it I'm a homophobe oppressing the views of the LGBT community. I think that incidents like this should result in stricter gun control, but I'm white, so therefore it's clearly because I think the government should be able to form a dictatorship without citizens being able to fight back.

I think there should be equality between men and women, but if I claim to like the posters for the new x-men movies, it's not because I'm happy to see strong female characters go toe to toe with the big baddies. No, I'm a white male, therefore it's because I enjoy seeing and advocate violence against women.

It's becoming ****ing ridiculous and I can't see what I can do about it apart from stay silent on every issue, because seemingly no matter what stand-point I adopt my gender, sexuality and race will be used to try and paint me as a bad guy.

Now I'm sure this is going to garner a lot of responses claiming "oh, but you're not X therefore you don't understand how hard they have it". Yea, well X isn't me either, so they can **** right off.

Scroll to see replies

Who the heck is having a go at you for holding those, very sensible views??? They sound like right ********s.
quiet, you privileged patriarchal misogynist racist white-male cis-gendered shitlawd (etc)
As a young white male I have absolutely no f'ing idea what you're talking about.

I have never had anyone tell me that my opinions, whatever they are, are less valuable and/or unimportant because of my age, skin colour and sex.

Has this ever happened to you in any real and significant situation or are you talking about conversations you might have had with people on Tumblr? If the latter, get over it.
Reply 4
Original post by SHallowvale
As a young white male I have absolutely no f'ing idea what you're talking about.

I have never had anyone tell me that my opinions, whatever they are, are less valuable and/or unimportant because of my age, skin colour and sex.

Has this ever happened to you in any real and significant situation or are you talking about conversations you might have had with people on Tumblr? If the latter, get over it.

Sometimes in real situations, sometimes in the media.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale

Not OP but surprised me you haven't had this. In my experience it's white female university students who tend to tell me 'yeah but you can't say that because you're not X'. It's really condescending and completely ignores the fact that empathy exists.
Original post by Dheorl
I can literally not have an opinion on anything these days without my race, gender and sexuality being insulted and given as a reason for my "disgusting views".

I think we should have more nuclear energy and it should have less strict safety regulations, but I'm a white man so I must a "capitalist fat cat".

I think that the recent shootings are a horrible tragedy, but I'm straight and white, therefore by speaking out about it I'm a homophobe oppressing the views of the LGBT community. I think that incidents like this should result in stricter gun control, but I'm white, so therefore it's clearly because I think the government should be able to form a dictatorship without citizens being able to fight back.

I think there should be equality between men and women, but if I claim to like the posters for the new x-men movies, it's not because I'm happy to see strong female characters go toe to toe with the big baddies. No, I'm a white male, therefore it's because I enjoy seeing and advocate violence against women.

It's becoming ****ing ridiculous and I can't see what I can do about it apart from stay silent on every issue, because seemingly no matter what stand-point I adopt my gender, sexuality and race will be used to try and paint me as a bad guy.

Now I'm sure this is going to garner a lot of responses claiming "oh, but you're not X therefore you don't understand how hard they have it". Yea, well X isn't me either, so they can **** right off.

I say don't bother appeasing these feminists. Let your inner chauvinist out and let it shine!

Google Dick Masterson for more info. Note I can't link videos on TSR because he isn't political correct enough for this website.
Original post by Dheorl

Perhaps don't give a crap about what regressive, uneducated idiots have to say about a topic? One thing you will realise is that people who make remarks such as this very often have nothing substantial to say other than what they read in some gender studies book.

Granted I am not a white male (male but from another racial group), but I often get similar comments made about me because I'm a conservative who believes in very 'uncool' ideas so I do get it in some sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
That is what happens, when thinking is replaced with censorship.

Education must be based on teaching philosophy, logic, semantics, semiotics, (and related issues), plus maths, and some scientific methodology basics.

Othewise we will keep repairing one problem by introducing another, just as these incompetents decided to fight racism witch a sort of censorship called "political correctness", which actually did some damage also to discriminated groups, because some of them learned that they can do anything bad they want, because nobody can say anything about it.
This is far more an Amercanism as of now, though its effects are variegated amidst the developed world. This fiction is effusing over to the UK at full-speed however. Minorities and people of little intellect like to adopt the methodology, as it acquits them of intellectual rigor.
Original post by Dheorl

What a load of s-. I freely express my opinions, regularly, and never get bothered about it!
Being oppressed isn't a competition to see who's the most oppressed. :lol:
Original post by King Scorchy
What a load of s-. I freely express my opinions, regularly, and never get bothered about it!

??? :confused:
Reply 13
Reply 14
Original post by King Scorchy

Well it's good to know not everyone has this experience. Thanks for your contribution.
Reply 15
Original post by Lord Samosa
Being oppressed isn't a competition to see who's the most oppressed. :lol:

No, but it pisses me off when people whinge about their demographic and try to make out like a white male has no idea what they're talking about because they never have any problems. I just wanted to bring to light the fact that life isn't always easy for me, due to my gender, skin colour and age, and see what experiences other people had.
As a young white male I despair when I see other young white males playing the repressed victim card. Last time I told one to man up and they went full SJW on me, thus is the mindset of the Internet generation.
Original post by Dheorl
No, but it pisses me off when people whinge about their demographic and try to make out like a white male has no idea what they're talking about because they never have any problems. I just wanted to bring to light the fact that life isn't always easy for me, due to my gender, skin colour and age, and see what experiences other people had.

I'm generally intrigued, what difficulties have/do you face due to your demographic?
Reply 18
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I'm generally intrigued, what difficulties have/do you face due to your demographic?

Did you read the OP?
Original post by Dheorl
Did you read the OP?

My bad I just skim read parts of it.

Quick Reply