The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rm761
in the reduction question i wrote the integral of cosx as -sin x so my b was -6 and c was 6, how many marks do i lose?

bump

2 max. Definitely the last A1, and maybe another A1.
anyone made a poll?

and who does unofficial markscheme?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oShahpo
2 max. Definitely the last A1, and maybe another A1.

thanks, do u think 70 will be enough for a*?
Original post by MarocMan
omg i expanded and then didnt realise itll factorise that nicley, nice spot tbh, how many marks you think i'd lose?

I thought it was quite elegant :smile: I think maybe you'd get the first 2 or 3 I'd imagine for differentiating, squaring and setting up the integral.
Original post by rm761

I don't think it has ever been higher than 70, it will be 71 maximum though. Do you think you might have gotten an extra mark from any other further maths module that might compensate for it\?
Original post by rm761

I got the same but honestly not sure as this was the easiest FP3 paper for a very long time, think A* could go up to as much as 72 :frown:
Original post by oShahpo
Which bit do you want? The last bit you had to solve the two cartesian equations by subbing any value into x, y or z. Then solving for the rest and that gives you a.
B was basically the cross product of the two perpendicular vectors.

I did that but I'm not sure whether I did it right or not seeing as everyone else got dif answers ( for position vector) do you know the two planes so I can try checking
Here are my answers:

1. k=3,-2
2. 5/8 + ln1.5
3. k=2
4. Pi/3
5. 25/3-32/15 sqrt 2
6. Lambda is 9, p=7, q=5
7.1/12 (pi+6sqrt3 - 6)
8. Direction (11,-1,8) point (11/8,-13/40,0) - I expressed z in terms or x and y.

Overall a nice paper, I predicted that reduction formula, it hasn't come up yet and it involves factor formulae, which they seem to love :smile:

My prediction is 68 for A*, maybe a mark above or below that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ewanclementson
I thought it was quite elegant :smile: I think maybe you'd get the first 2 or 3 I'd imagine for differentiating, squaring and setting up the integral.

yhh thanks i was thinking worst case drop 5 marks out of 7, thank God hopefully 100UMS is 72 so i can get 95UMS or so in FP3, that'll be lovely after that FP2 disaster loool
Original post by oShahpo
I don't think it has ever been higher than 70, it will be 71 maximum though. Do you think you might have gotten an extra mark from any other further maths module that might compensate for it\?

i think i got 100 in m2, about 70/75 in fp3 and 65/75 in m3 (which was quite easy -_-) and between 65-69 in fp2 which was idk difficult? (lets say 65 for worst case scenario)

do you think that could give me 270/300?
Original post by Major-fury
I did that but I'm not sure whether I did it right or not seeing as everyone else got dif answers ( for position vector) do you know the two planes so I can try checking

It's absolutely fine to get different answers. There is literally an infinite amount of answers you could find for a, and an infinite amount of answers for b (note that the answers to b will always be n*(11i, -1j, 8z) where n is any real multiple).
Original post by Ewanclementson
No problem, inside the square root, there was 1+(x/4-1/x)^2 which expands and factorises to (x/4+1/x)^2 then the squared cancels the root and out pops a nice integral :smile:

Kind of like the end of Q1 2015 STEP III :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oShahpo
It's absolutely fine to get different answers. There is literally an infinite amount of answers you could find for a, and an infinite amount of answers for b (note that the answers to b will always be n*(11i, -1j, 8z) where n is any real multiple).

Oh okay thank you makes me feel a little more reassured. everything else seemed to be correct for me so hoping this doesn't drag me down need the A*
Reply 833
@SeanFM I can't seem to add a poll to this thread - could you maybe do it?
Original post by rm761
i think i got 100 in m2, about 70/75 in fp3 and 65/75 in m3 (which was quite easy -_-) and between 65-69 in fp2 which was idk difficult? (lets say 65 for worst case scenario)

do you think that could give me 270/300?

M2 will be, conservatively, -5 for an A*. FP2 will be -7 for an A* and FP3 -5 for an A*. In those modules you have -0 + -5 + -10 out of -5 + -5 + -7
So yea, I reckon.
Original post by Ayman!
@SeanFM I can't seem to add a poll to this thread - could you maybe do it?

First page - go to the top, click on 'tools' and 'add a poll' should be there. If not, I can probably find a study help mod to do it for you (I can't :frown:)
Original post by physicsmaths
Kind of like the end of Q1 2015 STEP III :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How hard is step compared to say, FP3 last year?
That was a suprisingly easy paper, i think i got full ums. The a* dream lives on
Original post by MarocMan
yhh thanks i was thinking worst case drop 5 marks out of 7, thank God hopefully 100UMS is 72 so i can get 95UMS or so in FP3, that'll be lovely after that FP2 disaster loool

I really don't want to bring you down but there is no way a 100 us is going to be 72. It will be 75 or possibly 74
Original post by oShahpo
M2 will be, conservatively, -5 for an A*. FP2 will be -7 for an A* and FP3 -5 for an A*. In those modules you have -0 + -5 + -10 out of -5 + -5 + -7
So yea, I reckon.

thanks, hopefully its enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending