The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarocMan
I think M2 can be in AS further maths, however FP2 FP3 and M3 can only be in A2 further maths so M2 wont be, check the specification for more info though

As long as M2 is not a part of A-level maths, it will definitely count for your Further Maths A2.
okay thanks, im thinking of picking them up if I took a gap year alongside resitting FP2 as i think it cost me my A* in further maths. Do you think doing AEA maths is a good alternative to STEP or do universities look at STEP maths more highly?

Are you planning on applying doing maths after your gap year?? I thought universities were really hesitant about accepting people for maths after a gap year - Also, if you got an A and not an A* in further maths this year - would they be likely to let you in for an undergraduate maths course if you are planning on resitting or would they want you to just get it the first time round?? Sorry this was so long!! Thanks
Original post by rm761
some guy in my school last year did fp1 fp2 and m1 as AS further maths, so if fp2 can be in AS i dont see why m3 cant

It can be. I am taking FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M4, M5 for FM with FP1, M4, FP3 as potentially AS modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the-anonymous-me
Are you planning on applying doing maths after your gap year?? I thought universities were really hesitant about accepting people for maths after a gap year - Also, if you got an A and not an A* in further maths this year - would they be likely to let you in for an undergraduate maths course if you are planning on resitting or would they want you to just get it the first time round?? Sorry this was so long!! Thanks

No they are not. Physicsmaths is on his 5th gap year and he is still gonna be in Cambridge this year and Senior Wranger in 3 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rm761
some guy in my school last year did fp1 fp2 and m1 as AS further maths, so if fp2 can be in AS i dont see why m3 cant

FP2 cannot be put into AS further maths its a strictly A2 module, look into the specification, tbh wait till results day i may have interpreted the spec wrong, so on results day if M2 can get you an A* and they put M3 into further, it wont hurt to call them up to find out, good luck with everything
Original post by oShahpo
As long as M2 is not a part of A-level maths, it will definitely count for your Further Maths A2.

im not sure in his case it can my A2 further because of the fact he is doing M3 FP2 and FP3
unofficial mark scheme anyone with marks?
how did anyone do the integration without a calculator, I subbed for sin, and ended up with arcsin(1)-arcsin(0.5) which is pi/3, I worked out arcsin(1) using the sin graph, but how do you find arcsin(0.5) without a calculator?
easy paper i thought

1) k=3, -2
2) 5/8 + ln 1.5)
3) a was show that and b was k=2
4) pi/3, part b was show that and c was 2/3arctan(e^x/3)?
5) a was a shw that and b was 25/3 - 32/15root 3
6) eigonvalue was 9 p=7 q=5 the eigonvector was (2,1,-2) forgot p and D lol
7) a may casue problems part b was 1/12(pi +6 root 3-6)
8) a was a show tht, forgot b (lol) and c was point (11/8, -13/40, 0) and direction vector was (11/8, -1/8, 1)

Who agrees??

I think itll be 68 for an A*
Original post by RThornton
how did anyone do the integration without a calculator, I subbed for sin, and ended up with arcsin(1)-arcsin(0.5) which is pi/3, I worked out arcsin(1) using the sin graph, but how do you find arcsin(0.5) without a calculator?

You could've used a right-triangle with sides 1, 2 and root 3.

should know it off by heart..
Original post by JustAdamHere

I did, but how do you prove it, I couldn't find anyway?
im not sure in his case it can my A2 further because of the fact he is doing M3 FP2 and FP3

It doesn't matter. They pick the top 3 modules for A2. I am doing M4,M3 and M2 and in fact, M4 and M3 can count as AS and M2 as A2 if M2 is higher than M3 and M4. The modules are not consequential.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
should know it off by heart..

I assume saying 'i know it off by heart' wouldn't get the mark as you could have just used your calculator
Original post by oShahpo
Do you train for them? Or is it just a case of natural talent? I really want to try them now. I will definitely sit them during my gap year.

Yea you practice for about 4-5 months Practice can get a 1. But it won't get an S tbh, you will need some sort of natural talent to get the S to see tricks consistently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I assume saying 'i know it off by heart' wouldn't get the mark as you could have just used your calculator

Erm, i think saying arcsin(1/2)=pi/6 won't drop marks. Since it is rather trivial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 896
2/3arctan(e^x/3)+C not 2/3arctan(e^x/3)?

Original post by ninjass
easy paper i thought

1) k=3, -2
2) 5/8 + ln 1.5)
3) a was show that and b was k=2
4) pi/3, part b was show that and c was 2/3arctan(e^x/3)?
5) a was a shw that and b was 25/3 - 32/15root 3
6) eigonvalue was 9 p=7 q=5 the eigonvector was (2,1,-2) forgot p and D lol
7) a may casue problems part b was 1/12(pi +6 root 3-6)
8) a was a show tht, forgot b (lol) and c was point (11/8, -13/40, 0) and direction vector was (11/8, -1/8, 1)

Who agrees??

I think itll be 68 for an A*
Original post by physicsmaths
Yea you practice for about 4-5 months Practice can get a 1. But it won't get an S tbh, you will need some sort of natural talent to get the S to see tricks consistently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right I misunderstood what you were asking
Original post by JustAdamHere

yh thats what i did, its not like they can prove if u used calc or not as arcin 0.5 should be general knowledge if ur doing fp3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending