The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by RThornton
I assume saying 'i know it off by heart' wouldn't get the mark as you could have just used your calculator

Most FM candidates will know these standard values. They wouldn't expect a proof.
Original post by Insight314

Disagree with what. The fact you need some sort of natural ability to get an S in step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy-ish? The exam was pretty easy tbh, and I reckon I've got an A*, but I'm just not sure whether I have enough for an A* overall.

Mistakes, how many marks would I lose?
- Copied down the matrix in question 1 wrong, leading to incorrect values of k. Assuming working was right.
- Threw a minus in the arcothx question right at the end, again I think the rest of the working was right.
- Multiplied the non-arcothx term by 4 aswell rather than just the 1-x^2, lead to me getting k as 8. Assume dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2 were right.

I'm guessing 2, 1 and 2 respectively (not sure how many that third one was). So would 70/75 be enough teamed with 88 UMS from S2 (last year) and 66-68/75 in FP2 to get an A* overall? I have the UMS required probably.
Original post by the-anonymous-me
Are you planning on applying doing maths after your gap year?? I thought universities were really hesitant about accepting people for maths after a gap year - Also, if you got an A and not an A* in further maths this year - would they be likely to let you in for an undergraduate maths course if you are planning on resitting or would they want you to just get it the first time round?? Sorry this was so long!! Thanks

Yes i do plan to do Maths, and I don't think they will be hesitant about accepting gap years as you will be taking on STEP and being productive. Also youre right about the resitting point so thats y i will be calling them up on results day to ask
I assume saying 'i know it off by heart' wouldn't get the mark as you could have just used your calculator

I did, but how do you prove it, I couldn't find anyway?

I wouldn't worry too much. I think by 'without using a calculator' they mean you can't just simply evaluate the answer using your calculator.Many calculators can compute numerical integrals. You have to show your working to get to an answer. You don't have to show how you found the values of arcsin1 and arcsin1/2
(edited 7 years ago)
It was alright but what was that 3 marker at the start of the reduction formulae question and also manipulating question 2 into something that could be integrated
How to prove the last part of the arcoth question?
Original post by physicsmaths
Disagree with what. The fact you need some sort of natural ability to get an S in step?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's rubbish. If you do enough work you can get an S in STEP. By that I also mean making sure you train yourself under exam pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That 'without using your calculator' question was weird because my calculator couldn't even solve it anyway.
Original post by ninjass
easy paper i thought

1) k=3, -2
2) 5/8 + ln 1.5)
3) a was show that and b was k=2
4) pi/3, part b was show that and c was 2/3arctan(e^x/3)?
5) a was a shw that and b was 25/3 - 32/15root 3
6) eigonvalue was 9 p=7 q=5 the eigonvector was (2,1,-2) forgot p and D lol
7) a may casue problems part b was 1/12(pi +6 root 3-6)
8) a was a show tht, forgot b (lol) and c was point (11/8, -13/40, 0) and direction vector was (11/8, -1/8, 1)

Who agrees??

I think itll be 68 for an A*

Agree with all as far as I can remember. Doing s2 straight after doesn't help me when remembering what I put down
Original post by kprime2
I wouldn't worry too much. I think by 'without using a calculator' they mean you can't just simply evaluate the answer using your calculator. You have to show your working to get to an answer. You don't have to show how you found the values of arcsin1 and arcsin1/2

People should know that Sinpi/6 = 1/2. It's one of those things that are more important than your candidate number.
Will this be an A*? These are worst case scenarios...

FP2-74
FP3-68/69
M2-67/68/69
M3-74

I think M3 and FP2 were 75 but there might be a small error somewhere in each
Original post by somevirtualguy

FP2-74
FP3-68/69
M2-67/68/69
M3-74

defo

FP2-74
FP3-68/69
M2-67/68/69
M3-74

definitely.
Original post by Insight314
Yes, that's rubbish. If you do enough work you can get an S in STEP. By that I also mean making sure you train yourself under exam pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not if you are particularly inept with certain elements of maths. Those people with dyscalculia are unlikely to ever be good at simple arithmetic, let alone STEP, for instance.

I think often people who have aptitude for something will be quite humble and have the attitude "well I did it by hard work, so so can anyone else" but really their natural ability is important as well.

I don't mean to diminish the value of hard work of course.
Original post by Olymedeus
How to prove the last part of the arcoth question?

Y=arcothx
X= cothy
Dx/dy = -cosech^2y
Dy/dx = 1/-cosech^2y

Coth^2y - 1 = cosech^2y
X^2 - 1 = cosech^2y

FP2-74
FP3-68/69
M2-67/68/69
M3-74

How can you get 75 in FP2 and M3 but not know how to add up your scores? :confused:
Should get 72/75. Couldn't prove the bloody reduction formula thing ffs
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I think often people who have aptitude for something will be quite humble and have the attitude "well I did it by hard work, so so can anyone else" but really their natural ability is important as well.

Interesting observation, I think the converse holds as well. Some people who put in lots of work tend to significaly underplay the work they put in in order to seem cleverer.
Original post by edothero
Y=arcothx
X= cothy
Dx/dy = -cosech^2y
Dy/dx = 1/-cosech^2y

Coth^2y - 1 = cosech^2y
X^2 - 1 = cosech^2y

Sorry I mean the part b not part a of that question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending