The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Interesting observation, I think the converse holds as well. Some people who put in lots of work tend to significaly underplay the work they put in in order to seem cleverer.

Yeah I would agree. And then there are lots of people who are reasonably honest and objective in the main of course
I think depending on mood I have been in all three camps..
Original post by edothero
Should get 72/75. Couldn't prove the bloody reduction formula thing ffs

Had to change sin(nx) to sin((n-2)x+2x) then use the addition formula
Original post by MarocMan
is STEP I harder than FP3 though, or only STEP II and III are harder?

lol. STEP I is to FP3 what FP3 is to GCSE.
I got 1/12 (pi+6root3-1) so my a and b are correct. How many marks will i lose for having -1 instead of -6, is it just an A1 mark?
Original post by Olymedeus
Sorry I mean the part b not part a of that question

Oh right, sorry I just did fp3 and s2 back to back. I've forgotten the question :laugh:
Original post by CriminalMinds
Had to change sin(nx) to sin((n-2)x+2x) then use the addition formula

Fml
How many marks will I lose if I copied down the vector a wrong in the last question? show that (r-a)x b=0
I have calculated a correct value of each component of vector a in my work. But when I wrote it down in the form required, I think I forgot to put the minus sign in one of the component.
Is it possible to still get a full ums??????
Reply 927
Original post by Zacken
How can you get 75 in FP2 and M3 but not know how to add up your scores? :confused:

(hint: he just wants to brag about his scores!)
Original post by Zacken
lol. STEP I is to FP3 what FP3 is to GCSE.

Maybe FP3 to C2..
Parts of FP3 last year were not much easier than STEP 1 for me. :colondollar:
I think I got between 66-69, do you think that's enough for 84ums?
Original post by SDJ2000
I just realised that my last ans is wrong:frown:, but im not quite sure of (3)

Q3 should be pi/12 - must be a typo.
Original post by ninjass
easy paper i thought

1) k=3, -2
2) 5/8 + ln 1.5)
3) a was show that and b was k=2
4) pi/3, part b was show that and c was 2/3arctan(e^x/3)?
5) a was a shw that and b was 25/3 - 32/15root 3
6) eigonvalue was 9 p=7 q=5 the eigonvector was (2,1,-2) forgot p and D lol
7) a may casue problems part b was 1/12(pi +6 root 3-6)
8) a was a show tht, forgot b (lol) and c was point (11/8, -13/40, 0) and direction vector was (11/8, -1/8, 1)

Who agrees??

I think itll be 68 for an A*

easy paper, but still lost 3marks for the derivation in q3, silly me
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Not if you are particularly inept with certain elements of maths. Those people with dyscalculia are unlikely to ever be good at simple arithmetic, let alone STEP, for instance.

I think often people who have aptitude for something will be quite humble and have the attitude "well I did it by hard work, so so can anyone else" but really their natural ability is important as well.

I don't mean to diminish the value of hard work of course.

I am not talking about people with learning difficulties though, I disagree with physicsmaths on the statement that an S grade requires natural ability. Not taking into account people with learning difficulties, any person who puts enough work into STEP would see that they can easily get the S grade on the real exam. This also requires work to be put into getting used to exam pressure or exam technique; this year quite a few excellent S grade mathematicians missed their S grades due to exam pressure and poor choice of questions (they know who they are).

If we were debating about the necessity of natural ability in mathematics to make influential contributions in research, I would have neutral views on this argument (since I am not at that level yet) but through my work in STEP I have realised that the problem-solving and the "tricks" needed for each STEP question are quite similar from each other. Therefore, by working sensibly through past paper questions, any mathematician would easily be able to get an S grade in STEP. It all depends on how much work a person puts in; this is the deciding factor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 933
Original post by Zacken
Q3 should be pi/12 - must be a typo.

:u:
Original post by chrisidialu
I got 1/12 (pi+6root3-1) so my a and b are correct. How many marks will i lose for having -1 instead of -6, is it just an A1 mark?

i think thats what i got aswell
What did everyone get for vectors a and b for vector question?
Reply 936
Original post by target21859

well i think it depends because there are many equations of a line. personally I had a=(0,-1/5,-1) and b= something with over 11 and 8 in it but cant remember. Notice however that I had 0 in the x component as I expressed x in terms of y and z so obviously the x component of vector a would be 0. As long as if you sub in points that satisfy both equations of the planes Pi1 and Pi2 into you equation of the line of intersection and cross them and it comes to 0 you're good to go. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by target21859

Mine were over 11. Can't remember now

I didn't factor out the 11 as I realised I made a mistake last minute (literally a minute left on the clock) and I just quickly scribbled it down.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Original post by 8752
well i think it depends because there are many equations of a line. personally I had a=(0,-1/5,-1) and b= something with over 11 and 8 in it but cant remember. As long as if you sub in points that satisfy both equations of the planes Pi1 and Pi2 into you equation of the line of intersection and cross them and it comes to 0 you're good to go. :smile:

for the direction of the equation line i got 11, -1 ,8
Original post by Insight314
Yes, that's rubbish. If you do enough work you can get an S in STEP. By that I also mean making sure you train yourself under exam pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

********. you still need some sort of natural ability in maths. you can't pull out a normal A* student and train them to an S.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending