The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP2 Thread - AM 27th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BriO
I'll show some working in a sec. How you feeling about physics? The grade boundaries are always so low I love it

Cool thanks.

Terrible, there's so much information they get us to remember, and it infruriates me when half of what I learned isn't tested. Yeah low grade boundaries do help, allows you to literally skip some questions if you haven't got the time to waste being stuck :biggrin:
for the area under the curve question, did you integrate between 0 and the intercept, or was it between both intercepts? I can't remember what the question asked but I did it between 0 and ln ( 3 + root5 / 2) so I would probably have got the correct answer / 2 if I read the question wrong but did everyting else right.
Original post by BriO
Fp2.png (done in paint xd)

Again, any online matrix calculator confirms. Just put in M and raise to like power 10.

Nope mine was completely different.

I had eigenvalue = 1 and -1/6
And eigen vectors (1,-1) and (3-4) respectively. So I didn't have 1/7 I had -1
Original post by -Gifted-
I think I plotted the points on my Argand diagram too small, but you can definitely see it in the paper. Will it get scanned ?

Yes should be fine don't worry about it :smile:
Original post by Alex621
for the area under the curve question, did you integrate between 0 and the intercept, or was it between both intercepts? I can't remember what the question asked but I did it between 0 and ln ( 3 + root5 / 2) so I would probably have got the correct answer / 2 if I read the question wrong but did everyting else right.

I did between 0 and ln.... then multilpied it by 2
Reply 165
Original post by Alex621

Hm between the two I think...
Reply 166
Original post by Alex621

You can do between 0 and the root and just multiply by 2. Can also do it between both roots. Same answer
Original post by ComputerMaths97

I think the first one should be (1 1), as the top half the 2x2 matrix were both 0.5, so using your first eigenvector, you would get 0 for the top instead of 0.5 for lambda = 1. Second one is correct though I am fairly sure.
Reply 168

Ahh i see why. It seems your mistake is having the eigen vector as (1,-1). The correct answer is (1,1). When you multiply by M it stays the same unlike yours. You'll probably get all the error carry on marks though
Original post by decombatwombat
I think the first one should be (1 1), as the top half the 2x2 matrix were both 0.5, so using your first eigenvector, you would get 0 for the top instead of 0.5 for lambda = 1. Second one is correct though I am fairly sure.

Original post by BriO
Ahh i see why. It seems your mistake is having the eigen vector as (1,-1). The correct answer is (1,1). When you multiply by M it stays the same unlike yours. You'll probably get all the error carry on marks though

Ah that's good, I enjoy getting the whole of question 3 wrong. **** my life, doubt I even got a B.
Reply 170
Cool thanks.

Terrible, there's so much information they get us to remember, and it infruriates me when half of what I learned isn't tested. Yeah low grade boundaries do help, allows you to literally skip some questions if you haven't got the time to waste being stuck :biggrin:

Yeah, the paper is also so long. I find timing to be an issue if i get lost on some questions. But yeah you can just skip haha. I skipped like 3 questions last year and got 150ums still. The definitons are my bane.
Expecting A* as 64 UMS - I thought it was about the same difficulty as Jan 2013 but apparently the general opinion is it was harder?
Never have I made so many mistakes in one exam. I hardly made that many mistakes in total so far in all the exams I've ever sat.

I can't subtract 1 from 1/2 correctly.

I can't read questions properly.

Just great. 10/10
Ah that's good, I enjoy getting the whole of question 3 wrong. **** my life, doubt I even got a B.

You didn't need to remove your other post, in fact I would have upvoted it if I'd been able to, but apparently I've already upvoted you too many times recently

I feel the same way, but the only thing we can change right now is our Physics grade so it seems pointless to lament over this exam, at least until after tomorrow
Original post by MintyMilk
You didn't need to remove your other post, in fact I would have upvoted it if I'd been able to, but apparently I've already upvoted you too many times recently

I feel the same way, but the only thing we can change right now is our Physics grade so it seems pointless to lament over this exam, at least until after tomorrow

Yeah I know it's pointless to get annoyed over this exam, but that doesn't mean I can stop myself from being depressed by it.

Ah I had to remove it, it was a bit pathetic, just went on a rant.
Badly need someone to do an unofficial mark scheme, imma crash in a minute. Really needed an A. Like badly.

So weird going for full UMS then realising after you might've not gotten an A.
Badly need someone to do an unofficial mark scheme, imma crash in a minute. Really needed an A. Like badly.

What modules are you doing? If you've been getting near 100 on your other modules then you could get a 0 on FP2 and still get an A* overall.

1)i) 1 - x^2 + x^4 (3)

ii) x - 1/3 x^3 + 1/5 x^5 +c but c = 0 (3)

iii) pi/6 (4)

iv) Draw the graph, sort of like a loop but starting at pi/4 and ending on the horizontal axis (2)

As the angles tends to 0 r tends to infinity (1)

v) a^2 ln(2 root2) or 1/2 a^2 ln 8 (4)

2)i) 1-z (3)

ii) Show that C + jS thing (8)

iii) Modulus of the cube roots was root2 the angles were pi/18 13pi/18 25pi/18 (7)

3)i) Eigenvalues were -1/6, 1 eigenvectors were (1 1) and (3 -4) I think, cant quite remember the order (8)

ii) M^n tended towards one seventh of (3 4) or something like that order might be different (6)
......................................................(3 4)

iii) Not too sure on this, I think it didnt tend to a limit (maybe infinity), as the elements of the matrix were greater than 1 but some were negative so it could have positive or negative infinity (4)

4)i) Show that arcosh thing (5)

ii) ln((3+root5)/2) and ln((3-root5)/2) (5)

iii) The graph sort of looked like x^2 but started at y=2

The area bound by the curve was 5root5 / 2
The area bound by the line y = 5 was 5ln((7+3root5)/2) There are other ways of writing this for example 10ln(...) (8)

Then take one away from the other.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bunderwump
What modules are you doing? If you've been getting near 100 on your other modules then you could get a 0 on FP2 and still get an A* overall.

I got 91 in M2 last year, think I got 70/72 or better in S2 this year, D2 I couldn't sleep the night before (first exam so obvs had some stress or something) and ended up with around 59/72, which could be anything from a B to an A*, and FP2 whatever happens. I know there's still a chance but I had already screwed up D2 due to a horrendous nights sleep so today needed to be good. I honestly just wonder why me.
I got 91 in M2 last year, think I got 70/72 or better in S2 this year, D2 I couldn't sleep the night before (first exam so obvs had some stress or something) and ended up with around 59/72, which could be anything from a B to an A*, and FP2 whatever happens. I know there's still a chance but I had already screwed up D2 due to a horrendous nights sleep so today needed to be good. I honestly just wonder why me.

You only need 3 A2 modules so if you put M2, S2 and FP2 in your FM, then put 3 other highest scoring AS modules in your further maths, you'll be fine for an A, assuming your C3 and C4 UMS are high enough to get you a A while using your 3 lowest AS modules and D2 for maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending