The Student Room Group

I want to study everything at uni

Does anyone else have this problem? Currently on a gap year with a place to study history/ancient history. But I want to do literally EVERYTHING. I had a place for maths last year and decided against it at the last minute but I still find it fascinating (And bizzarely really calming/reassuring despite what most people think- the more complex it gets and the more difficult the more i like it). but then midwifery is cool because you get to witness something fantabulous day in day out and you have a almost guaranteed career without student loans and you can go anywhere. Yet I find mechanical engineering fascinating and could easily see myself doing that (Because it's so hands on and typically you can see the result of your work.)
Like I have no idea what to do- And I'm already coming to the end of my gap year.
Anyone else relate?
(A- levels in maths, chemistry, history and further maths if that's relevant)
Original post by bobbynojeans
Does anyone else have this problem? Currently on a gap year with a place to study history/ancient history. But I want to do literally EVERYTHING. I had a place for maths last year and decided against it at the last minute but I still find it fascinating (And bizzarely really calming/reassuring despite what most people think- the more complex it gets and the more difficult the more i like it). but then midwifery is cool because you get to witness something fantabulous day in day out and you have a almost guaranteed career without student loans and you can go anywhere. Yet I find mechanical engineering fascinating and could easily see myself doing that (Because it's so hands on and typically you can see the result of your work.)
Like I have no idea what to do- And I'm already coming to the end of my gap year.
Anyone else relate?

Well, thanks to @Mochassassin I know that some unis allow you to take 'minors' in subjects during your first year so you can make an informed decision for the future. This would probably be something to explore? Going to move this to a better section so other people can share their knowledge. :biggrin:

Edit: Educational debate seems like the incorrect section, it got redirected here… Will get someone to take a look.

Edit edit: someone took a look! In a good section now!
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else relate?

The simple answer is not to go until you do know what you want. People go to university at all ages. Take another year or two to decide properly. Don't waste your one shot at university funding. You're entitled to one year's false start and then you're left with funding the shortfall yourself, so it makes no sense to go in for a subject you aren't 100% dedicated to. Earn some money and take your time.
I wish there were more people like you in the world OP, who just love to learn :biggrin:

Personally I'd be very happy taking degrees in Maths, Physics, History, Politics, Law, Economics, possibly Engineering or Classics since I find them all very interesting. I chose Economics in the end because for me it slightly edges the others out on interestingness and has fantastic job prospects of its from the right uni.
but then midwifery is cool because you get to witness something fantabulous day in day out and you have a almost guaranteed career without student loans and you can go anywhere.

It isn't from the next academic year, you d have to take a loan like everyone else and it's a very difficult to get into.
Reply 5
just like make a list of all the subjects you'd do and rank them ?
What carnation said.
You are only going to get one chance (+ spare year) so if you dont know yet, then do not be a sheeple. Wait until you know what you want and then go. its a £44,000 decision so make it count. Figure out what you wnat to do after and then see which of your choices will help you get there.
Study a STEM, don't be a fool to do a liberal arts degree. And make sure you do it now. I'd wager now with Brexit, university fees will see a healthy hike to £12-£14K per year now that EU students will not get priority entry into the UK from 2018 onwards. I'll be curious to see how the young leave voters will react at that when it comes to pass
Reply 8
Anyone else relate?

Midwifery is MUCH more hands-on than engineering. Don't confuse engineering with being a technician/mechanic.

You will struggle to find a more hands-on career than being a midwife...

(But you might need A-level Biology? And lacking physics will limit your chances for Mechanical Engineering.)
(edited 7 years ago)
This sounds like fun... Let me think of some subjects that I would do if I had an infinite lifetime.
Maths, Music, Linguistics, Computer Science, Engineering. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Anyone else relate?

I know exactly what you mean.

Years ago UCAS used to have a survey thing you could fill in to help you decide what to study. I came out with 20+ possible careers and degrees :rofl:

I found what worked best for me was to study something that pulled on a lot of disciplines but was a subject I had never studied before. The newness helped me to stay focused and not get sidetracked:wink:

Even now over a decade after graduating I look at the work around me and think "I'd love to do that degree/study this/create things like that". I like to think of it as a kind of academic wanderlust:biggrin:

I would definitely echo the cautions above about being sure before you commit. There's no harm in another gap year to do some more research and speak to more people/get experience if it helps you make the right decision.

One exercise that can help with decision making is to write a PS for each possible subject. If one is easier to write than the others then that's a pretty big hint that you have a preference.

The really nice thing about today's job market and university market is that you aren't committed to a single career. You can retrain and you can study other subjects in your own time for free (Google MOOCs). So even picking a degree subject and committing to 3+ years on that subject doesn't rule out other options.

I would point out that midwifery isn't the job you're describing - you aren't a spectator and you are there to care for the pregnant women and those giving birth not to cuddle babies and witness births. A strong emphasis on women's health and care is what admissions tutors are looking for.
Original post by claireestelle
It isn't from the next academic year, you d have to take a loan like everyone else and it's a very difficult to get into.

why is nursing/midwifery difficult to get into? they are not STEM subjects and besides, no amount of essay writing or sitting various exams will make you a good nurse or midwife, its all about being a people person and having the right skills+ knowledge to excel at what you do?

So, why is it that difficult?

I just don't like the fact unis will look at grades(obviously they are important) rather than your previous experience and skills.
You should use a website called Plotr, unlike other website, it is just Amazing and soon, you will find your path.

The website is easy to use and has a wealth of knowledge about everything you need to know about what you want to do etc and even if you are unsure.
Original post by Blackstarr
why is nursing/midwifery difficult to get into? they are not STEM subjects and besides, no amount of essay writing or sitting various exams will make you a good nurse or midwife, its all about being a people person and having the right skills+ knowledge to excel at what you do?

I just don't like the fact unis will look at grades(obviously they are important) rather than your previous experience and skills.

Numbers are severely limited by NHS trust education contracts and placement arrangements and have been slashed by 5-10% pa since the 2010 election. We're now in a position where hospitals are so understaffed that resourcing placements to train more healthcare students is a logistical problem.
Original post by PQ
Numbers are severely limited by NHS trust education contracts and placement arrangements and have been slashed by 5-10% pa since the 2010 election. We're now in a position where hospitals are so understaffed that resourcing placements to train more healthcare students is a logistical problem.

why are the numbers limited and what happened in the 2010 election? if the NHS need more staff then clearly they should do something about it e.g. offer more placements for people to get jobs as a nurse/ midwife afterwards?
why are the numbers limited and what happened in the 2010 election? if the NHS need more staff then clearly they should do something about it e.g. offer more placements for people to get jobs as a nurse/ midwife afterwards?

You need the grades AND tonnes of experience (i know someone who exceeded the grade requirements and took 3 years to get into midwifery as they wanted more experience than she had) , its incredibly popular so they only take the best of the best applicants, health professionals need to understand scientific ideas and have good critical thinking skills. Yes you need caring people but you need intelligent people who can act well under pressure too.

Nursing is counted as a STEM subject by the government. Idk about Midwifery
Reply 18

Check out Southampton's entry requirements as an example:
*http://www.southampton.ac.uk/healthsciences/undergraduate/courses/bsc_midwifery.page#entry_requirements

Three A grade A Levels, a very focussed PS plus a selection process which involves both group and individual assessments/interviews. You have to be academically excellent just to be shortlisted for a uni place.
Reply 19
I totally have the same problem!
I am from Germany though.. After finishing my Abitur (A level equivalent) this year I really struggle what to study. I wanted to do PPE in the UK but I could always imagine to do something else too.
If I had more time I would study PPE, Law, Maths, English Literature, German (Literature), History, Psychology and Medicine.. And these are only the ones I can think of right now :biggrin:
I think the German school system actually wasn't too bad for someone with many interests as we don't concentrate on only three or four subjects, I had 12 in my last two years of school (Maths, German, English, Spanish, Latin, History, Politics&Econ, RE, Biology, Chemistry, Art, PE) Though sometimes it was annoying that we got graded in PE and that a lot of this is compulsory - therefore you can't drop everything you don't like :biggrin: - I think it's overall good for someone who can't decide (like me :biggrin:)
However, I agree with the others that you shouldn't start a degree if you are not sure about it - especially not in the UK as the fees are so high and it's therefore not that common to quit I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending