The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
How can you get 75 in FP2 and M3 but not know how to add up your scores? :confused:

I was more concerned about UMS for each rather than total marks, seeing as the boundary for FP3 and M2 are going to be quite high and a dropped mark in M3 will probably be about 3+UMS because of how everyone did in that.
Grade boundaries estimates? I reckon I got 67/75 argh. If I got 73-75/75 in fp2, 73-75/75 in m2 and about 65/75 in S2 would that get me the A*? I really screwed up today. I say at wrong table twice...I was so tired.
Original post by Guest234
I had z as -1 for those x and y values

Yeah I think I got that.
Original post by Insight314
I pulled out an A/B grade FM student, gave him quite a few hints but still saw him working through first part of Q1 STEP III 2016. He felt ecstatic after finishing it, and even did Q4 STEP II 2016 after that. The tricks are similar, so it is complete and utter rubbish to imply that you need some kind of 'natural ability' to get an S in STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol. ok. so getting one student to work through one part of a question leads to an S in a step paper.
let us look at some numbers, 40 people out of 500 get SS in the maths offer holders for cambridge. I highly doubt the thing seperating them was a lack of work. fair enough, some may have messed up on the day but majority get the grade they deserve and stuff but still 40 is pretty low and if it was simply about working hard the number would be much hgher.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is anyone doing an unofficial mark scheme? Or does anyone have the questions?
Anyone got an estimate on the grade boundaries? For an A and B
Original post by somevirtualguy
I was more concerned about UMS for each rather than total marks, seeing as the boundary for FP3 and M2 are going to be quite high and a dropped mark in M3 will probably be about 3+UMS because of how everyone did in that.

?? How does that make sense. If you assume worst case then that's 97 UMS in both FP2 and M3 so you only need one of FP3 and M2 to be 76 UMS, and surely you can't be asking if 68/69 on FP3 is enough for 76 UMS, are you? :confused:
Original post by physicsmaths
lol. ok. so getting one student to work through one part of a question leads to an S in a step paper.

It suggests that the student can work through past paper questions on their own, and see the tricks just like that student I was talking to you about did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by target21859
Grade boundaries estimates? I reckon I got 67/75 argh. If I got 73-75/75 in fp2, 73-75/75 in m2 and about 65/75 in S2 would that get me the A*? I really screwed up today. I say at wrong table twice...I was so tired.

defo
Original post by blahblah21
Anyone got an estimate on the grade boundaries? For an A and B

Unfortunately the only question people could mess up on was the integration question, and it was only 3 marks, so expect high grade boundaries :frown:
Original post by Insight314
It suggests that the student can work through past paper questions on their own, and see the tricks just like that student I was talking to you about did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

have a look at my edit
Original post by target21859
I got (0,-1/5,?). Can't remember what I got for z

Can you remember the cartesian equations? I remember I used x=0 but got other values.
Original post by NeverLucky
That question where they said to integrate without using a calculator and you got it to arcsin(1) - arcsin(1/2) and you're just like "**** it, I'm using a calculator..." :biggrin::biggrin:

I knew the values but I said 'Just in case, they'll never know' 😂😂
let us look at some numbers, 40 people out of 500 get SS in the maths offer holders for cambridge. I highly doubt the thing seperating them was a lack of work. fair enough, some may have messed up on the day but majority get the grade they deserve and stuff but still 40 is pretty low and if it was simply about working hard the number would be much hgher.

You don't even know how many people put in x hours of work preparing for STEP.

Maybe the majority do STEP almost in an extra curricular fashion, with no real expectation of doing well.

Point is you don't know, so no assumption can be made.
What were the cartesian equation guys? Both of them please. Pretty please.

It depends on when the person has started working hard. Do I seriously have to explain this to you? If someone started working through STEP earlier, but put the same amount of work than another person, then on average the person who started earlier would have put in more work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Hineshtailor;66139141"]i think thats what i got aswell[/QUOTE
I re did the question and it should be 6 not 1 so its definitely not correct
Ran out of time. Low 60s probably for Fp3 and S2.

A overall. Sigh.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Armpits
You don't even know how many people put in x hours of work preparing for STEP.

Maybe the majority do STEP almost in an extra curricular fashion, with no real expectation of doing well.

Point is you don't know, so no assumption can be made.

Precisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Ran out of time. Low 60s probably for Fp3 and S2.

A overall. Sigh.

I assume you got 90+ in some other modules?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending