The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
haha yes indeed! I literally finished in 35 minutes then spent ages checking. What mark do u normally need about to get full ums then?

75 is full UMS. What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
haha yes indeed! I literally finished in 35 minutes then spent ages checking. What mark do u normally need about to get full ums then?

Last 2 years has been like 65/75 for 100 but this year it will be much higher as i heard it was easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Last 2 years has been like 65/75 for 100 but this year it will be much higher as i heard it was easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thats low. I mean it was a little easier than usual, but theres never anything too dire so hopefully thats good :smile:
Reply 2563
Can anyone predict what my score is for STEP 3? Thought I might scrape a 1 at first, but lost hope upon hearing that ppl find this an easy paper...

Q1: Part (i) and (iii). Start working on part (ii) using some substitutions, got weird terms in sec^x, didn't continue.

Q2: full (i), for (ii) and (iii) the lines and points I found were not independent of p, rather expressed in terms of r and q, so probably wrong.

Q4: full

Q5: part (ii) and part (iv), feeble attempts at (i) and (iii), didn't manage to prove them

Q6: First bit about z^n-1

Q8: Successfully done first two part, for third part did a few substitutions such as h(1-x), h(1/x), but ended up failing to find h(x).

What do you guys reckon my chance of getting in with S,1,2? with a high S in STEP 1, average-ish 1 in STEP 2 and (maybe?) a high 2 in STEP 3?
Reply 2564
Original post by kznil
What do you guys reckon my chance of getting in with S,1,2? with a high S in STEP 1, average-ish 1 in STEP 2 and (maybe?) a high 2 in STEP 3?

14 + 8 + 20 + Q5 + 4 + 15 = 61 + Q5, should be a low 1. Even if not, you've got an excellent chance of getting in with those grades.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Anyone else here do the FP2 (MEI) exam this morning? It was horrendous honestly never had a harder A level exam

I did. I actually did the question that was apparently the hardest (Q2) and the rest of it fine but I have doomed myself to failure by being a complete idiot on Q3 (goodbye 18 marks). FP2 has been my favourite paper all year and for some reason I just did an unbelievably obvious stupid thing (I spent 45 mins on it as well).

Oh well, goodbye A* in FM - if I get rejected because of this and I still make my STEP I will just laugh.:s-smilie:

p.s. my mess up in q3 was equating (M-lambda(I))v = lambda*v i.e. finding eigenvector. I have found eigenvectors so many times before and never been so stupid.
Anyone else here do the FP2 (MEI) exam this morning? It was horrendous honestly never had a harder A level exam

But yes, on another note it was indeed unlike any other A Level exam I have done before - it seemed as though in Q2 and even Q1 it took longer than normal and required a moment of realization.
Original post by tridianprime
I did. I actually did the question that was apparently the hardest (Q2) and the rest of it fine but I have doomed myself to failure by being a complete idiot on Q3 (goodbye 18 marks). FP2 has been my favourite paper all year and for some reason I just did an unbelievably obvious stupid thing (I spent 45 mins on it as well).

Oh well, goodbye A* in FM - if I get rejected because of this and I still make my STEP I will just laugh.:s-smilie:

p.s. my mess up in q3 was equating (M-lambda(I))v = lambda*v i.e. finding eigenvector. I have found eigenvectors so many times before and never been so stupid.

Ah damn that's tough.

I made about 6 or 7 seperate, and rediculously stupid, mistakes. Like I subtracted 1 from 1/2 incorrectly. I also misread 2 different questions, and also didn't have a graphical calculator so had to guess the graph on Q4. I don't even think I got 60/72, and I was here hoping for full UMS. Screw my life :biggrin:

Most people seemed to find it tough those, hopefully grade boundaries won't be as rediculous as last year.
Ah damn that's tough.

I made about 6 or 7 seperate, and rediculously stupid, mistakes. Like I subtracted 1 from 1/2 incorrectly. I also misread 2 different questions, and also didn't have a graphical calculator so had to guess the graph on Q4. I don't even think I got 60/72, and I was here hoping for full UMS. Screw my life :biggrin:

Most people seemed to find it tough those, hopefully grade boundaries won't be as rediculous as last year.

I am hoping for a solid 54/72 :biggrin: Might be a B if I am lucky. Yes, I too was expecting to get 72/72. Am I right in thinking FP2 needs to be one of the top 3 modules in FM that contribute to A*?
Reply 2569
Might be a B if I am lucky. Yes, I too was expecting to get 72/72. Am I right in thinking FP2 needs to be one of the top 3 modules in FM that contribute to A*?

AFAIK, for most boards, whilst you need to have at least one of FP2 or 3 in your FM A-Level, they need not contribute towards your A2 score. i.e: you are not right in thinking that.
I am hoping for a solid 54/72 :biggrin: Might be a B if I am lucky. Yes, I too was expecting to get 72/72. Am I right in thinking FP2 needs to be one of the top 3 modules in FM that contribute to A*?

Original post by Zacken
AFAIK, for most boards, whilst you need to have at least one of FP2 or 3 in your FM A-Level, they need not contribute towards your A2 score. i.e: you are not right in thinking that.

Zacken is right as far as I know, it's best 3 A2 modules. Won't change anything for me though, I could sleep before my D2 exam so I messed that up 10fold what I did today.
Original post by Zacken

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Either way, I think it's still unlikely I will get A* considering I am now relying on S2 being a really high A*, which, while possible, just isn't likely.

You know, I don't really like A Levels. They're not my sort of thing.
Zacken is right as far as I know, it's best 3 A2 modules. Won't change anything for me though, I could sleep before my D2 exam so I messed that up 10fold what I did today.

I didn't realise anyone actually did D2.
I didn't realise anyone actually did D2.

Ahaha yeah it's pretty easy, which makes me more upset that I couldn't sleep.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I is too

And I think physicsmaths is three

Gna be a **** 90 minutes lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meanwhile my D2 from last year might be part of my A* in FM, if I messed up M2/S2. I feel shame
You did D2 last year? So 1/3 of your modules (inc. D1) were Decision "Maths"? If that had been my introduction to A-level maths, I'd probably have been greatly put off studying maths at Uni! :tongue:

It is why he is a compsci

Posted from TSR Mobile
You did D2 last year? So 1/3 of your modules (inc. D1) were Decision "Maths"? If that had been my introduction to A-level maths, I'd probably have been greatly put off studying maths at Uni! :tongue:

It was a bit nightmarish (and my other taught applied module was S1 which is also pretty bad). I've mostly managed to block out the trauma of simplex tableau, though I did have some flashbacks when I looked at a 2nd year Cambridge CompSci paper and saw a flow diagram.
Ah... lol

He might even have taken Decision "Maths" by choice then... :angry:

Urrgh no. Decision isn't maths or computer science, just hours and hours of drawing tables.
in 2015 6/16 got accepted with grade 2,2. What could be the possible reason for this ?(extenuating circumstance, high 2,etc)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending