The Student Room Group

Only 36% of eligible young people voted in EU referendum...

:facepalm:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chakede

I still think those who didn't vote when they were allowed to shouldn't complain about the result.

Its like saying you got invited to a job interview but didn't make the effort to attend because you're worried about what might happen. Then complain you didn't get the job!
(edited 7 years ago)
Source?

I thought it was slightly higher at 45%.
Original post by Chakede

Epic fail
Reply 4
And the rest chose not to :borat:
Original post by Boreism
I still think those who didn't vote when they were allowed to shouldn't complain about the result.

Of course they shouldn't.
Reply 6
A: Source?
B: Really not surprised
For every 16-17 year old complaining, there were probably twice as many still stuck on an hang-over from the Brexit drink price cut.
Original post by The Roast
Of course they shouldn't.

Probably the ones who were 'too busy' making these memes about it.
Take a quick look at this HP article. No mention of the 64% of 18-24 year olds who chose not to vote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/eu-referendum-results-age-data-young_uk_576cd7d6e4b0232d331dac8f

:lol: :toofunny:
Original post by Chakede

Many chose not to vote they don't have enough information or life-experience to make a rational and informed choice about the UK's future in or out of the European Union. As much as that mightn't be the case on TSR, the vast majority of young people are indifferent to politics because many haven't been affected by it to take an interest in it (and they probably have a life).

If some of the young didn't vote because they couldn't be bothered and are now complaining about the result, then this doesn't even need a discussion.
Reply 10
Original post by Boreism

Its like saying you got invited to a job interview but didn't make the effort to attend because you're worried about what might happen. Then complain you didn't get the job!

i did vote
In conclusion, it isn't the baby boomers who screwed the young generations over, it's the young generations that ****ed over themselves.

65+ had a 80%+ turn out, they were actually bothered about the vote.

****ing idiots.

I feel like signing up for the Question Time in Preston and letting people know about it.

OR even head down to Parliament Square with a "What about the 64%" poster haha!
(edited 7 years ago)
Probably too busy getting pissed at Glastonbury or attending *****y Coldplay concerts :colonhash:
Reply 14
Original post by jake4198
Many chose not to vote they don't have enough information or life-experience to make a rational and informed choice about the UK's future in or out of the European Union. As much as that mightn't be the case on TSR, the vast majority of young people are indifferent to politics because many haven't been affected by it to take an interest in it (and they probably have a life).

If some of the young didn't vote because they couldn't be bothered and are now complaining about the result, then this doesn't even need a discussion.

it is ironic that the 18-24 age groups are the most to be most affected by leaving the eu in the next few years be it stupidity, gullibility or apathy, its these fools that will be rioting in the streets in 3 years times when their benefits are cut , domestic price inflation rockets and there are no jobs left.

perhaps most of the current young generation didnt realise shareing a facebook post =/= voting
(edited 7 years ago)
I guess it's only when you realise that though you are not interested in politics, politics is very, very interested in you that you wake up to the realities of life.

As they say, fail to plan ( do your homework about policies / vote ) , plan to fail ( get the result you didn't want at all.)
It still doesn't negate the fact that the older generations have screwed us over. Turn out amongst 18-24 year olds has averaged around 40% since the early 2000's. So, it is simply not fair to pin the blame on 18-24 year olds.
Original post by Chakede
i did vote

I never said you didn't, so I don't see your point.
Original post by jake4198

Yeah, that all consuming 2 minutes to vote must really get in the way of "having a life".

You can cite all the reasons you like for young people not voting, and that's fine. But don't voluntarily give up your vote then complain that your voice was ignored and no one takes your demographic seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest