The Student Room Group

Only 36% of eligible young people voted in EU referendum...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Gaben
It still doesn't negate the fact that the older generations have screwed us over. Turn out amongst 18-24 year olds has averaged around 40% since the early 2000's. So, it is simply not fair to pin the blame on 18-24 year olds.

Well if 80% of 18-24 bothered showing up, the result would have been different.

Of course you can blame the 64% of 18-24 year who didn't take 5 minutes of their time to go to a polling station before 10pm. It's downright laziness and complacency.

And then to blame 65 and overs for "screwing the young generation over"?!

65 and overs had a 80%+ turn out.

No excuses.
It still doesn't negate the fact that the older generations have screwed us over. Turn out amongst 18-24 year olds has averaged around 40% since the early 2000's. So, it is simply not fair to pin the blame on 18-24 year olds.

Them voting differently isnt screwing you over, its the lack of young voters screwing themselves over.
And they have the nerve to blame older generations for ruining their futures? Such naivite, as expected. They destroyed their own future by being too lazy
A third of us managed to overcome all the cynicism, negativity and awfulness of what must have been one of the worst political campaigns ever fought in the UK and cast their vote.

And then some people on here want to mock us.
Not surprising. Young people love to blame the old for voting Leave. But they, if they could take an interest in public affairs for like a week, could have entirely prevented a Brexit. It's on your hands, kids. Don't just blame the 65 year old retired mechanic who knows about as much about public policy as I know about ... fixing cars. Blame your apolitical, apathetic selves.

No. Remain lost because people couldn't be bothered to vote.

40% is still not good enough. Young people love to whine and complain about 16-17 yr olds not being able to vote or how older generations screwed them over.. And then they decide to chill with their friends instead of going to the polling station. They voted. You didn't.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
A third of us managed to overcome all the cynicism, negativity and awfulness of what must have been one of the worst political campaigns ever fought in the UK and cast their vote.

And then some people on here want to mock us.

A third is still not enough and you know it.

More 18-24 year olds need to vote. 36% is appalling.
Original post by Legendary Quest
No. Remain lost because people couldn't be bothered to vote.

40% is still not good enough. Young people love to whine and complain about 16-17 yr olds not being able to vote or how older generations screwed them over.. And then they decide to chill with their friends instead of going to the polling station. They voted. You didn't.

And by voting, the older generations have screwed us over. I agree that the turn out for 18-24 year olds is quite low, but I think a lot of them were getting over-confident that remain would win.
Original post by Legendary Quest
A third is still not enough and you know it.

More 18-24 year olds need to vote. 36% is appalling.

Of course it's not enough. But unlike some people on the thread, I'm not celebrating that fact.

idk what you're so happy about? you seem really immature
Original post by tanyapotter
idk what you're so happy about? you seem really immature

I find it funny that the youngsters are constantly bringing up the "74% want Remain" argument when only 36% bothered to vote.

Baby Boomers didn't ruin it for you, you yourselves did the damage.
And by voting, the older generations have screwed us over.

Don't blame the older generation for the failures of the younger generations.

I agree that the turn out for 18-24 year olds is quite low, but I think a lot of them were getting over-confident that remain would win.

Yeah, that is the problem
Reply 32
Original post by The Roast
I find it funny that the youngsters are constantly bringing up the "74% want Remain" argument when only 36% bothered to vote.

get a life pls
Yeah, let's blame everything on the younger generation. Voter turn out amongst 18-24 year olds has averaged 40% in the last decade or so. Shall we blame the younger generation for the results of the previous elections too? Or is it just convenient to blame 18 to 24 year olds who make up around 8% of the population of the UK (give or take) compared with the other (25 years and over) 70% that were eligible to vote?

48% of us voted to remain, but I find it ironic now that "we have to put up with an unelected government official", you know because the next Prime Minister will most likely be a Brexiter Tory MP like Boris Johnson, or Michael Gove whom 48% of us have not endorsed.
Reply 34
Ohhhhhh they'd rather spend time on Facebook or Instagram what utter thickos.
They bother to vote on Xfactor finals but not something that will impact their future IDIOTs
Reply 35
Yeah, let's blame everything on the younger generation. Voter turn out amongst 18-24 year olds has averaged 40% in the last decade or so. Shall we blame the younger generation for the results of the previous elections too? Or is it just convenient to blame 18 to 24 year olds who make up around 8% of the population of the UK (give or take) compared with the other (25 years and over) 70% that were eligible to vote?

48% of us voted to remain, but I find it ironic now that "we have to put up with an unelected government official", you know because the next Prime Minister will most likely be a Brexiter Tory MP like Boris Johnson, or Michael Gove whom 48% of us have not endorsed.

its not 'ironic', the word you looking for is idiotic. and you only really have yourselves to blame.

8% of the population of the UK is just slightly over 5,000,000 18-24 year olds.

1,800,000 of that bothered to go out and vote.

Had a larger sum of 18-24 gone out to vote, Remain would've edged it.

I think it's safe to blame the 64% who stayed at home on the 23rd :yep:
Reply 37
Original post by Jee1
Ohhhhhh they'd rather spend time on Facebook or Instagram what utter thickos.
They bother to vote on Xfactor finals but not something that will impact their future IDIOTs

to put into perspective 10 million + morons voted ( and paid) for the last X factor final. many of these imagine are currently posting on facebook to their 'bae's and bruvs that its a shame they not in eu anymore.
Original post by The Roast

well, luckily in 20 years' time baby boomers and the trashy elderly will have died out, and however small the 74% is, we'll get ourselves out of this mess
Original post by tanyapotter
well, luckily in 20 years' time baby boomers and the trashy elderly will have died out, and however small the 74% is, we'll get ourselves out of this mess

Disgusting contempt.

You're a vile human being.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending