The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Travelling to UK for First TIme

So I am travelling to the UK for the first time and I don't have a clue what I need to do before I get there and once I've landed in the UK. I've received a conditional offer which I know has to be sorted out before I travel and have been classified as a home student. Any tips or suggestions ??

Scroll to see replies

Go to Nandos
Don't go further north than Nottingham
Have Fish & Chips at least once p/w
Drink lots of tea everyday
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Its a rubbish country. If you want to come only visit london. The rest is just farmland feeding us.
Original post by drogon
Its a rubbish country. If you want to come only visit london. The rest is just farmland feeding us.

you wish
Original post by Second_Beauty
So I am travelling to the UK for the first time and I don't have a clue what I need to do before I get there and once I've landed in the UK. I've received a conditional offer which I know has to be sorted out before I travel and have been classified as a home student. Any tips or suggestions ??

Make sure you know where you need to go when you land and maybe arrange transport before. Try to avoid getting a taxi because they are very expensive. Where are you from and what part of the UK are you traveling to?
The British have a strange sense of humour. They amuse themselves by saying things they don't really mean. ( See the 2 posts above.) You're supposed to pick up on it by a certain outrageousness, or tip of the head or smile ( difficult to pick up on, on the net).. They are on the whole , though, helpful and easy going in the flesh.

The British are great ones for organising themselves into clubs - all sports, arts, reading, card playing, gardening, choirs, bands, politics - you name it they'll do it. The first week before studying starts you will have the opportunity of going to the Freshers Week and joining clubs, going to dances etc. Do it - you will make a lot of friends.

I expect your University will arrange accommodation for you. It is likely to be in a block of flats with lots of other young people from the university. They may arrange for someone to meet you at the station etc. if you have come from abroad.

Don't just mix with people from your home country. Make every effort to mix with the locals - students and others. This the way to make the most of your stay.

We need to know where you're going to study and where you're from to be more helpful. Are you a native English speaker? Are you coming from a hot climate?
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay thanks. No to taxi.

I live in Turks and Caicos and will be traveling to greater London, Kingston university. I have a friend living their who can assist me with not getting lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Head straight to Scotland its the only beautiful part
Original post by govandpolitics
Go to Nandos
Don't go further north than Nottingham
Have Fish & Chips at least once p/w
Drink lots of tea everyday

Thanks I will try it on my first week there
Bring an Umbrella for each person...
No, bring two just in case
Original post by im.a.witch
Head straight to Scotland its the only beautiful part

I am going to be residing in London so I'll check Scotland out as soon as I can. Thanks so much for the tip !:smile:
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Bring an Umbrella for each person...
No, bring two just in case

Does it really rain a lot ?
I am going to be residing in London so I'll check Scotland out as soon as I can. Thanks so much for the tip !:smile:

Just visit the usual places (hyde park, Buckingham palace,museums etc and try to have an ice cream, fish and chips and a scone.
Does it really rain a lot ?

Yh, like... LOADS! When are you coming?
Original post by pickup
The British have a strange sense of humour. They amuse themselves by saying things they don't really mean. ( See the 2 posts above.) You're supposed to pick up on it by a certain outrageousness, or tip of the head or smile ( difficult to pick up on, on the net).. They are on the whole , though, helpful and easy going in the flesh.

The British are great ones for organising themselves into clubs - all sports, arts, reading, card playing, gardening, choirs, bands, politics - you name it they'll do it. The first week before studying starts you will have the opportunity of going to the Freshers Week and joining clubs, going to dances etc. Do it - you will make a lot of friends.

I expect your University will arrange accommodation for you. It is likely to be in a block of flats with lots of other young people from the university. They may arrange for someone to meet you at the station etc. if you have come from abroad.

Don't just mix with people from your home country. Make every effort to mix with the locals - students and others. This the way to make the most of your stay.

We need to know where you're going to study and where you're from to be more helpful. Are you a native English speaker? Are you coming from a hot climate?

lol okay thanks I must admit I was a bit lost with the humor but much thanks for the advice. Believe when I say I hope to learn about the culture and history etc so I wont stick my home people alone... I live in a hot climate (Turks and Caicos) and will be traveling to greater London Kingston university which I'm working on accommodation right now. English is also my main language
Original post by im.a.witch
Just visit the usual places (hyde park, Buckingham palace,museums etc and try to have an ice cream, fish and chips and a scone.

Museums !! Where can I get a map or brochure ??
Yh, like... LOADS! When are you coming?

Sometime in August hopefully... So I need to get an umbrella and coats as well ? will it be really cold as well ?
Museums !! Where can I get a map or brochure ??

absolutely anywhere :smile:
Sometime in August hopefully... So I need to get an umbrella and coats as well ? will it be really cold as well ?

It might be slightly cold,....
The weather in the UK is unpredictable, so I think you should get both light layers and summer wear...
It might be slightly cold,....
The weather in the UK is unpredictable, so I think you should get both light layers and summer wear...

Okay I've got summer clothes so now I need to purchase a coat and a strong umbrella. Thanks so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending