The Student Room Group

Anybody else considering leaving the UK now Brexit seems to be going ahead?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JRKinder
LOL at people who are saying Remainers should stay and help, why should we? We fought for the best result for Britain in the referendum campaign, and unfortunately lost. Brexiters have ruined this country, so they can fix it. I wanted to stay in the EU, so I have no obligation to help those who want to take us out. And I think I'll be fine after getting my Economics degree from LSE or somewhere similar, I hear Frankfurt are soon to have plenty of new jobs available!

Hey can you tell the future? Whats going to happen tomorrow do you even know that? So how can you predict an entire ****ing countrys future. Plus as i said above, if the tide does turn dont ever come to the Uk for whatever reasons. Why would you get your degree from LSE? Go leave this country now. Im not a leaver but its appalling how quickly people are abandoning their country.
Original post by AverageExcellence
It just goes to show who really has the UK's best interests at heart, those who purport to stand up for the UK do one as soon as things get a little turbulent.. good riddance

just cause they have different views?
Original post by Shapez
What scumbags. You agree UK is going down the drain but you arent staying here to help it? Maybe you shouldnt be allowed back here once you leave.

I'm sorry but this is not the country I voted for. I voted for a UK to be part of the EU. I didn't get that. Why should I help those who will now have caused severe harm to those who voted stay in raw economic and social terms. With a Brexit vote, you've given the thumbs up to nationalist groups rising again. They're usually quite violent. I'll seek to go for dual citizenship which is a sane move. I have to think about my own future because 52% of the country did not care, why should the 48% care for the fate of the 52%. You didn't care about us. Sorry. It's only fair.
Original post by Chakede
things have got turbulent due to the ignorance of a brexit voters.
i suppose people would stay if theyre made to feel optimistic and welcome - that isnt really happening either currently...

You literally act as though the majority of this country's soul lies on the stock exchange, you completely neglect the working class concerns on the ground. Prices of stocks and currencies go up and down, the call for sovereignty and control of your country is an absolute.

People are welcome if they satisfy the conditions just like they would be in any other developed country.
You literally act as though the majority of this country's soul lies on the stock exchange, you completely neglect the working class concerns on the ground. Prices of stocks and currencies go up and down, the call for sovereignty and control of your country is an absolute.

People are welcome if they satisfy the conditions just like they would be in any other developed country.

Oh please, get over yourself. The stock exchange is an indicator of the performance of an economy. That should very much concern the working class. They're not separate things friend.
Reply 45
Original post by marco14196
I'm sorry but this is not the country I voted for. I voted for a UK to be part of the EU. I didn't get that. Why should I help those who will now have caused severe harm to those who voted stay in raw economic and social terms. With a Brexit vote, you've given the thumbs up to nationalist groups rising again. They're usually quite violent. I'll seek to go for dual citizenship which is a sane move. I have to think about my own future because 52% of the country did not care, why should the 48% care for the fate of the 52%. You didn't care about us. Sorry. It's only fair.

Non remainers have been living with this for so many years. What about them? People who voted leave in the previous referendum didnt get what they want but they didnt just leave. People who voted for Labour in the election didnt just leave because they didnt get their policies. Think of what this country has done for you upto now and you are just abandoning it.

no, i recognise the stock market is inextricabley linked to the prosperity of the economy as a whole ( not including the £6 billion on publically owned bank stocks we have jsut lost in 2 days, ) - particularly when other industries are weakening- weaker economy = less benefits and more cuts , thats a basic economic reality for you. it isnt fat cat london bankers that get screwed over in a failing economy ( they can pull out, invest and become rich elsewhere), its the ordinary ppl that are stuck here.
it seems the only thing the average brexit voter recognised was the amount of foreign speaking people they saw on the bus
(edited 7 years ago)
To the Brexiters who are getting angry at the Remainers wanting to leave, what did you expect? The future of the UK is more uncertain now than ever before. We can't gamble on uncertainty. If I can start my career off abroad(I am in an international career field after all so I'll go wherever ), then I will take that opportunity. I'm doing my research now, to protect my own and my family interests. My family supported remain. I want to do good by them and use my prosperity to help them get out of this country. Maybe Brexit after a long time will end up good for England but thats not a year or even a decade away. Trade deals don't happen over night. I have family in New Zealand, my career field is in demand there and I have no debt or chains holding me down at the moment. My parents, friends and co workers all said the same thing to me and that is to grasp any opportunity, wherever in the world that be. I intend to do that, even if that means having to make the tough choice of leaving my country. I love my country but I hate what this once great nation has been turned into.
Oh please, get over yourself. The stock exchange is an indicator of the performance of an economy. That should very much concern the working class. They're not separate things friend.

It just goes to show how deluded you are, like the poor soul working for dirt wages at an agency is really going to feel the benefits of an economic boom... the current state of affairs is not complimentary but contradictory to working class interests.

You imply working class people are just ignorant morons, they are far smarter than you think they're voting for a change in system which has caste them asunder for decades now.

Seriously it just goes to show how out of touch you are if you think the theoretical performance of the economy actually reflects the real economy or the real welbeing of the working class.
Original post by Shapez
Non remainers have been living with this for so many years. What about them? People who voted leave in the previous referendum didnt get what they want but they didnt just leave. People who voted for Labour in the election didnt just leave because they didnt get their policies. Think of what this country has done for you upto now and you are just abandoning it.

I understand where you're coming from but that doesn't mean I should feel obliged to remain forever in this country. I don't agree with the path the country is on now. The damage could be catastrophic. I don't have enough national pride in me to harm myself that much. As a young person, this country has never cared about us. The elderly always win. They always do. Be it youth unemployment or stupid university fees, many young people have been harmed by their country.
Original post by Chakede
no, i recognise the stock market is inextricabley linked to the prosperity of the economy as a whole ( not including the £6 billion on publically owned bank stocks we have jsut lost in 2 days, ) - particularly when other industries are weakening- weaker economy = less benefits and more cuts , thats a basic economic reality for you. it isnt fat cat london bankers that get screwed over in a failing economy ( they can pull out, invest and become rich elsewhere), its the ordinary ppl that are stuck here.
it seems the only thing the average brexit voter recognised was the amount of foreign speaking people they saw on the bus

If you actually think that the average working class person was far better on June 22nd 2016 than he was on September 2008 then you are clearly out of touch with the reality.

The point in short im making that the theoretical performance of the economy has very little reflection on the real economy for those at the bottom. And before you blame Austerity the EU actively endorses it so it would be oxymoronic to make any contrast there.

The price of stocks for shareholders merely means how much people with large savings are benefitting, the vaste majority of the working class haven't got dick and this has clearly been flushed out.. How can you make it about how many foreign people are on a bus when large swathes of areas from the traditional left voted for it... you are trying to caricature the problem because you are unable or unwilling to address the real problems.
It just goes to show how deluded you are, like the poor soul working for dirt wages at an agency is really going to feel the benefits of an economic boom... the current state of affairs is not complimentary but contradictory to working class interests.

You imply working class people are just ignorant morons, they are far smarter than you think they're voting for a change in system which has caste them asunder for decades now.

Seriously it just goes to show how out of touch you are if you think the theoretical performance of the economy actually reflects the real economy or the real welbeing of the working class.

I'm not insulting the working class buddy. I'm implying that they have been lied and deceived by the Leave campaign entirely, such to the point they believe any propaganda promising a better life because they have nothing else. I can sympathise with that. I can understand the struggles of the working class and how they have been abandoned. Crashing the economy however is not in their interest, they'll be the first to lose everything. You're out of touch to assume that the working class would ascend to wealth if we got rid of the migrants and saved EU money we pay in. You're entirely wrong
Reply 52

I'm not sure I agree with your logic there but I may well be wrong.

Surely if we had narrowly voted (and I think it's fair to say it was always going to be close either way) to stay then there would have been millions of extremely upset 'nationalists'.

Certainly UKIP would have remained a force for years to come taking votes from Labour and of course angling for the very thing many remainians are now demanding ,a second referendum.

This would still be a very divided country and the Tories would still have their problems over Europe.

And above all else very large numbers of people would still be coming here every year even with the new benefits rules thus making the working class poor even angrier.

But of course all that matters to most people is getting their own way isn't it?

So I do think it would be really good if all the people who are unhappy with the result actually did go abroad.

For their sakes and this country's sake.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Chakede

Where did you get that from? Also it is not directly linked to prosperity. You are right about the economy being somewhat weakened but you are wrong about the stock markets. Speculators decide the price in the stock market. Brexit is a massive uncertainty and speculators dont like that. This is where they generally will sell their stocks in order to avoid massive losses. It would be linked to the prosperity in normal terms but this is an exception. Although you are somewhat right, you arent completely right
Original post by moggis
I'm not sure I agree with your logic there but I may well be wrong.

Surely if we had narrowly voted (and I think it's fair to say it was always going to be close either way) to stay then there would have been millions of extremely upset 'nationalists'.

Certainly UKIP would have remained a force for years to come taking votes from Labour and of course angling for the very thing many remainians are now demanding ,a second referendum.

This would still be a very divided country and the Tories would still have their problems over Europe.

And above all else very large numbers of people would still be coming here every year even with the new benefits rules thus making the working class poor even angrier.

But of course all that matters to most people is getting their own way isn't it?

Having said that I found think it would be really good if all the people who are unhappy actually did go abroad.

I'd actually propose a total division of the country honestly, split into two nations, because it is abundantly clear that half of the country is completely different to the other half. This is not like being members of a different political party, this is being ideologically completely different peoples with nothing in common. That's what this referendum has resulted in
If you actually think that the average working class person was far better on June 22nd 2016 than he was on September 2008 then you are clearly out of touch with the reality.

The point in short im making that the theoretical performance of the economy has very little reflection on the real economy for those at the bottom. And before you blame Austerity the EU actively endorses it so it would be oxymoronic to make any contrast there.

The price of stocks for shareholders merely means how much people with large savings are benefitting, the vaste majority of the working class haven't got dick and this has clearly been flushed out.. How can you make it about how many foreign people are on a bus when large swathes of areas from the traditional left voted for it... you are trying to caricature the problem because you are unable or unwilling to address the real problems.

are you somehow sugessting that working class labour traditionals are immune to xenophobic scaremongering? you are living in cuckoo land. long before the vote, loads of these 'traditional left' voted for ukip mps ad councillors. its you who is out of touch mate. resentful and igorant people of any type can be gullible enough to fall for the anti- foreigner propagnada .
i have to go for my dinner now so im re-iterating jsut one last time - the most successful economies have a high value stock exchange which reflect asset base and profitablity of domestic based business. It also ( along with stable interest rates ) encourages investment and ultimatley the more profitable and investment, the more tax revenue the more jobs and more benefits available for the lowest classes. the method and rate at which that wealth at top falls down to the bottom is determined by governments in power - not the eu.
Reply 56
I'd actually propose a total division of the country honestly, split into two nations, because it is abundantly clear that half of the country is completely different to the other half. This is not like being members of a different political party, this is being ideologically completely different peoples with nothing in common. That's what this referendum has resulted in

Well it doesnt even matter now because nothing is going to change. Cameron has resigned and you cant just get him to be PM again. After so many changes have taken place which you cant revert, theres no way they will allow anything apart from Brexit
Original post by moggis
So I do think it would be really good if all the people who are unhappy with the result actually did go abroad.

lol do you realise how childish you sound
Reply 58

Well said.

I have always been working class-I'm an ex tube driver:smile: and whenever the stock market has fallen I've always cheered.

Yet somehow the country has survived dozens of such dramatic falls over the years.
I'm not insulting the working class buddy. I'm implying that they have been lied and deceived by the Leave campaign entirely, such to the point they believe any propaganda promising a better life because they have nothing else. I can sympathise with that. I can understand the struggles of the working class and how they have been abandoned. Crashing the economy however is not in their interest, they'll be the first to lose everything. You're out of touch to assume that the working class would ascend to wealth if we got rid of the migrants and saved EU money we pay in. You're entirely wrong

The reason leave won is because it had at its heart the fundamental fingers on the main pulses of contempt which have been present for a decade now

- Sovereignty was becoming as ceremonial as the queen's, if we voted for remain we would have surrendered our last vital veto to block new treaty changes, it would have completely castrated any autonomy we had left, not going to get into how many times we've been overruled and how many of our laws are made in Brussels (3/5).

- Immigration, the issue of immigration presence is NOT in itself a primary button, id challenge you to find any notable amount of leave supporters that believe it will be some BNP-esq cleanout of all people non-british. Many commonwealth people voted for leave because they see it as grossly unfair.

- Funding: it is impossible to deny we put far more in than we get out and for what? free trade? they give free trade to turkey, ukraine, algeria and Israel... cool story, we are literally paying for 'influence' over backbroken economies in the south and tenuous governments in the East that barely have the democratic requirements in reality to be a part of it.

- The UK's long term interest is inherently being eroded by the EU with calls for EU armies, calls for France and UK to relinquish their seats at the EU security councils and many other factors which are purely being pushed through by Eurocrats.

- We all act as though we left this wonderful vibrant block that is going up and is going to leave us behind, its complete hogwash, Greece is about to default on another payment yet again, it is absolutely killed it just cannot recover, Italy, Spain and Portugal are on the ropes too and within 10 years one of them is likely to give and when that happens the EU banks cannot sustain them and the Eurozone will break, whether the EU survives much beyond that is a question for them. With Catalonia not far from unilaterally seceding that will push Spain to the brink far sooner.

This whole talk about the economy crashing has been proven to be bogus, what happened to the 500,000 jobs that were meant to depart? or that we'd become a backwater country? it is turbulent now but this is a decision, which many working class feel, is a decision for the next century not on the speculation of the sterling within this coming 6 months. The Working classes have not much more to lose, if you analyse it from their perspective it is better to risk a very neglectful status quo with the dream of a brighter tomorrow, do they think they'll become far richer in the click of a button no clearly not, but it is difficult to speculate what the EU economy will be like in 5 years, with change comes greater space for investment from global speculators we will see good times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending