The Student Room Group

I need a topic for my GCSE English speech!

We can do any topic, however as a target I've been asked to do it on a more controversial issue.

I know many people in our class will be doing stuff like abortion, feminism, euthanasia, etc. but I would like to do one that IS controversial, whilst not being so overrated that people are bored of it.

I was thinking about doing the EU Referendum, but this is naturally a politically motivated issue and so I've chosen not to do it. In the past, for Y9, I've done stuff like whether we should have school uniforms, the hypersexualisation of children, and should the death penalty be allowed. These are all exciting yet original in some way. It's a shame we're not allowed to do them again :frown:

I really would appreciate some help. Any suggestions would be amazing!

(The exam board is AQA just in case)
Child Abuse
Exams?
Drugs?
Rich and Poor?
Is there anything you feel strongly about, like drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc?
Fertility treatments?
Gender?
Divorce?
Religion and its impact in modern world?
Reply 5
What do you mean one that IS controversial? Some of the ones you've listed spark so much controversy, or do you mean something so mindblowingly controversial and risky to debate about?

Here some ideas, maybe you're inspired by them

> The Teleological argument
> The Afterlife: Human Construct or Undiscovered Location?
> Human Immortality, Intergalactic Colonisiation and our purpose as a species
> Prostitution and it's place in society
> Freedom of Information, The Internet, The Deep/Dark Web
> Organ Harvesting and alternatives
> The Education System and how imposing should it be on our youth
Reply 6
@sulaimanali Thank you so much for the many different suggestions :smile:

I like all the subjects from the list, but yours about religion got me thinking that maybe I could do one about "is religion is really the cause of the world's problems/wars, or if it's money/power instead" (if you've ever heard anyone say 'religion is the cause of all war', which I've personally heard maaany a time, you'll get it)

Anyone think this idea is good? Too stereotypical? Boring, or just the right amount of intellectual stimulation for a bunch of Y10's?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kamitersen
@sulaimanali Thank you so much for the many different suggestions :smile:

I like all the subjects from the list, but yours about religion got me thinking that maybe I could do one about "is religion is really the cause of the world's problems/wars, or if it's money/power instead" (if you've ever heard anyone say 'religion is the cause of all war', which I've personally heard maaany a time, you'll get it)

Anyone think this idea is good? Too stereotypical? Boring, or just the right amount of intellectual stimulation for a bunch of Y10's?

Welcome :smile: no problem. Thank you!

I think that religion idea is great, not really boring and not too stereotypical. I think its the right amount of intellectual stimulation of YR10s because especially in RE, you have to start doing that deep analysis and thinking.
If you don't end up doing religion, another good one that I suggested and @RMNDK highlighted - Exams: Education System and the Youth would be a good topic. TSR recently did an article on it.
Reply 10
Original post by RMNDK
What do you mean one that IS controversial? Some of the ones you've listed spark so much controversy, or do you mean something so mindblowingly controversial and risky to debate about?

Here some ideas, maybe you're inspired by them

> The Teleological argument
> The Afterlife: Human Construct or Undiscovered Location?
> Human Immortality, Intergalactic Colonisiation and our purpose as a species
> Prostitution and it's place in society
> Freedom of Information, The Internet, The Deep/Dark Web
> Organ Harvesting and alternatives

I've noticed that the things I listed are generally very widely known topics, to the point where some get a bit sick of hearing them.
Whilst they are good, I need something that isn't so widely known about (hypersexualisation of children isn't discussed as much as abortion, for example) but that can still make for an interesting, persuasive debate topic for a class of Y10's.

I really like all your ideas, especially the ones about the Deep Web, the afterlife, and prostitution. I'm feeling pretty inspired now, thank you very much for your contributions!
If you do the education one, for and against potential ideas:

For: It's importance in establishing 'skills' in young people as it helps get them into unis and employers
Against: Stress, it can be deemed 'corrupt' (use TSRs article for this point) and even mention Einsten's quote:
https://www.quora.com/What-did-Albert-Einstein-mean-when-he-said-Everybody-is-a-genius-But-if-you-judge-a-fish-by-its-ability-to-climb-a-tree-it-will-live-its-whole-life-believing-that-it-is-stupid

This would be a good topic for YR10s who are going to begin a stressful final year.
Reply 12
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is there anything you feel strongly about, like drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc?

There are so many topics that I feel strongly about, it's hard to choose! :smile:

I'm especially interested in political and social debates, but we're told to abstain from politically motivated speeches by the exam board.
But then again I don't want to do something that people hear a lot about, such as feminism or racism (which both are really important for the right reasons, but they're currently common topics in my class.)
Original post by RMNDK

The raising of the school leaving age from 16 to 18.
Reply 14
@sulaimanali Wow, I'm seriously grateful for all the help!

This idea is starting to grow on me a lot more, and it's also relevant to the mocks we're doing now... hopefully it won't discourage a few people, haha!

But I'm really enjoying the thought of presenting this to the class. Thanks again for all the thoughts and links, and sorry about my indecisiveness!
@sulaimanali Wow, I'm seriously grateful for all the help!

This idea is starting to grow on me a lot more, and it's also relevant to the mocks we're doing now... hopefully it won't discourage a few people, haha!

But I'm really enjoying the thought of presenting this to the class. Thanks again for all the thoughts and links, and sorry about my indecisiveness!

Haha. Good good..no problem. :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 16
We can do any topic, however as a target I've been asked to do it on a more controversial issue.

I know many people in our class will be doing stuff like abortion, feminism, euthanasia, etc. but I would like to do one that IS controversial, whilst not being so overrated that people are bored of it.

I was thinking about doing the EU Referendum, but this is naturally a politically motivated issue and so I've chosen not to do it. In the past, for Y9, I've done stuff like whether we should have school uniforms, the hypersexualisation of children, and should the death penalty be allowed. These are all exciting yet original in some way. It's a shame we're not allowed to do them again :frown:

I really would appreciate some help. Any suggestions would be amazing!

(The exam board is AQA just in case)

Im doing it soon now, what did u do urs about?

Quick Reply

Latest