The Student Room Group

Dilemma: should I do maths or art at university?

Ok, so at the start of the year I was definitely going to do maths because I love the subject and the challenge it brings. People also convinced me its respected better and maybe I made a mistake of dropping my other favourite subject at higher level- art.
Lately I've been thinking I'm a little bit better at art, I enjoy it so much and not to boast but I'm the best in the year in it but not in maths.
Before whenever I thought about doing art as a career like architecture for example, people told me there is no money and it's hard etc.
Now I don't know what to do- I love both equally and I'm honestly leaning towards maths because I hate to admit it but there is more money..
What should I do?!?!?
Original post by Mystery.
Ok, so at the start of the year I was definitely going to do maths because I love the subject and the challenge it brings. People also convinced me its respected better and maybe I made a mistake of dropping my other favourite subject at higher level- art.
Lately I've been thinking I'm a little bit better at art, I enjoy it so much and not to boast but I'm the best in the year in it but not in maths.
Before whenever I thought about doing art as a career like architecture for example, people told me there is no money and it's hard etc.
Now I don't know what to do- I love both equally and I'm honestly leaning towards maths because I hate to admit it but there is more money..
What should I do?!?!?

If you want to do uni for the money and want to pursue a career in maths, you should do maths. If you want to do uni for the experience and want to pursue a career in art, you should do art.
What should I do?!?!?

Maths is an art.

So maths

There you go problem solved.
You still haven't shown me your framed artwork :lol:

But the good thing about art (and I guess maths, but less so..) is that you can pursue it and do it at your own leisure, and not be assessed on any of it. Then again, maths at uni, while it seems fun at A-level/highers, is quite difficult and not so fun in some places (for me, anyway) but don't let that put you off if you want to do it - you can rise to the challenge. And yeah, it does open up a few doors (provided you have the other skills/experience, if you can do a maths with placement course then great) so.. :dontknow:
Reply 4
If you want to pursue a career in art, choose Maths. If you're truly talented, your background doesn't matter. At least you have a backup plan once rich people decide that painting a blue line down a white canvas is more deserving of their money than technical skill.
Original post by junayd1998
Maths is an art.

So maths

There you go problem solved.

See, this is the kind of problem solving you learn to develop from maths at uni. If this doesn't convince the OP to take maths, nothing will. :colonhash:
You could apply for Architecture at university?
What should I do?!?!?

Do Maths at uni. Do art in your free time. Problem solved.
Original post by Edminzodo

^^^^

Exactly what I was going to say. It's the best of both worlds and the salary for an architect is decent.
Reply 9
Original post by Juichiro
Do Maths at uni. Do art in your free time. Problem solved.

That's what I'm thinking right now.
It's really up to you in where you want to go with it
Perhaps you could look into becoming an art teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think about what career you wnat after and what you envisage yourself doing for a living. get work experience and do research.
Reply 12
Original post by TeddyBear86
It's really up to you in where you want to go with it
Perhaps you could look into becoming an art teacher

Posted from TSR Mobile

There really isn't much you can do in art, I don't wanna be a teacher or a fashion designer.
Don't want to just become an artist because I don't have patience for that
So that only leaves me with architecture which is apparently very tedious and low paid.

It's going to have to be maths.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
^^^^

Exactly what I was going to say. It's the best of both worlds and the salary for an architect is decent.

Decent?
Most architects are middle class
What should I do?!?!?

Hey there

Have you heard of Ravensbourne?
We are in London and next to the O2 arena.

There are many degree whether it's art or academic related courses that could give you more money and that depends on your skills too for companies hire you. Have you heard of the saying "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Check out other Ravensbourne courses you might be interested in! To see it for yourself come and visit us so you can talk and meet current students and tutors Register here for the Open day!

I wish you all the best!

Hope this helps,
Ahlia
Reply 15
Original post by Edminzodo

Yup. Or engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Do Maths, more respected and plenty of well paid jobs after it. You can still do art in your free time as a hobby.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending