The Student Room Group

We should hold a general election ASAP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Scotland have made it clear that they don't want a Tory government, so if Corbyn's labour don't win they can finally decide if they want to remain in the UK

"If Corbyn's labour don't win" you actually made it sound like they have a chance of winning… only chance of him winning is with a SNP coalition
Original post by zayn008
"If Corbyn's labour don't win" you actually made it sound like they have a chance of winning… only chance of him winning is with a SNP coalition

Will the SNP leave the uk before we hold a early general election (almost confirmed now it will be held at the end of this year)?
Original post by mrITguy
Will the SNP leave the uk before we hold a early general election (almost confirmed now it will be held at the end of this year)?

Says who?
Original post by Drewski
Says who?

Nick Clegg has said to call one. Labour have said they are ready for one and Cameron said its a choice for the next PM and the future government.

Furthermore, having a new PM who we didn't vote for and there is nothing in the Tory's manifesto for what they would do after the uk left.

Basically the new PM would need a new mandate from the people.
Original post by mrITguy
Nick Clegg has said to call one. Labour have said they are ready for one and Cameron said its a choice for the next PM and the future government.

Furthermore, having a new PM who we didn't vote for and there is nothing in the Tory's manifesto for what they would do after the uk left.

Basically the new PM would need a new mandate from the people.

That's categorically not the same thing as "almost confirmed" and you know it.

One former party leader who's been entirely discredited in politics, Labour clearly aren't ready for any kind of election - 40 members of its senior team just quit - and would lose huge, and an open ended statement about something that won't even be decided for 3 months.

A new PM has no obligation to prove a mandate. While it would be a nice thing to do, it's not in any way mandatory.

Don't present facts when there are none.
Reply 45
Original post by mrITguy

David Cameron said they had no intention of calling a General election and the 2011 act of parliament stops it from happening. The only way they're calling a general election is if Labour doesn't fix itself to take advantage, it won't be for the people's sake
Original post by Drewski
That's categorically not the same thing as "almost confirmed" and you know it.

One former party leader who's been entirely discredited in politics, Labour clearly aren't ready for any kind of election - 40 members of its senior team just quit - and would lose huge, and an open ended statement about something that won't even be decided for 3 months.

A new PM has no obligation to prove a mandate. While it would be a nice thing to do, it's not in any way mandatory.

Don't present facts when there are none.

Wow.....how arrogant you are.

Please tell me the definition of the two words "almost confirmed"? I think you will find it is a prediction and is not 100% certain.

Yes Nick Clegg has bee discredited, but he has said that, the current lib dem leader also favours an early election since he is trying to play on the disheartened remain voters by saying he will hold another one.

Yes labour faces a leadership contest and so does the Tory's. However, Corbyn will most likely win since he is very good on grassroot level. Once the leadership question is dealt with on both sides, it will be time for another general election.

Also the new PM will not have a mandate from the people because the people have not voted for him/her. Some Tory members have also said a early general election is most likely.
Original post by mrITguy
Wow.....how arrogant you are.

Please tell me the definition of the two words "almost confirmed"? I think you will find it is a prediction and is not 100% certain.

Yes Nick Clegg has bee discredited, but he has said that, the current lib dem leader also favours an early election since he is trying to play on the disheartened remain voters by saying he will hold another one.

Yes labour faces a leadership contest and so does the Tory's. However, Corbyn will most likely win since he is very good on grassroot level. Once the leadership question is dealt with on both sides, it will be time for another general election.

Also the new PM will not have a mandate from the people because the people have not voted for him/her. Some Tory members have also said a early general election is most likely.

You might call it arrogant, I call it accurate. Sorry if that offends.

The only one who can call the General is the PM.

There will be no new PM until September at the earliest.

Suggesting anything is "almost confirmed" when it cannot be confirmed for at least 3 months is pure stupidity and a gross misuse of the English language.
Original post by zayn008
David Cameron said they had no intention of calling a General election and the 2011 act of parliament stops it from happening. The only way they're calling a general election is if Labour doesn't fix itself to take advantage, it won't be for the people's sake

Has he? where? regardless it is for the next PM to decide.

Yes the act stops that from happening, but if nearly all of parliament (forgot the percentage) then a early general election can be called.

Thats exactly why its in the Tory's interests to hold one......and both labour and Tory's must think they have the advantage, otherwise they would say no.
Original post by Drewski
You might call it arrogant, I call it accurate. Sorry if that offends.

The only one who can call the General is the PM.

There will be no new PM until September at the earliest.

Suggesting anything is "almost confirmed" when it cannot be confirmed for at least 3 months is pure stupidity and a gross misuse of the English language.

lol you say that as if you must be arrogant in order to become accurate. Why say you are sorry when you clearly do not care?

A early general election can be triggered by the following:

"a motion of no confidence is passed in Her Majesty's Government by a simple majority and 14 days elapses without the House passing a confidence motion in any new Government formed

a motion for a general election is agreed by two thirds of the total number of seats in the Commons including vacant seats (currently 434 out of 650)"

No, since lots of members on nearly all party's have said there should be an early general election gives a very good chance of it happening. Therefore, my statement is correct.
Original post by mrITguy
No, since lots of members on nearly all party's have said there should be an early general election gives a very good chance of it happening. Therefore, my statement is correct.

You're still struggling with the English language.

"A very good chance of it happening" (according to you) is not the same thing as "almost confirmed".
Original post by Drewski
You're still struggling with the English language.

"A very good chance of it happening" (according to you) is not the same thing as "almost confirmed".

Well it is when, lots of MP's have said there needs to be one...........Like I said its a prediction. Thats why I said "ALMOST".
Original post by mrITguy
Well it is when, lots of MP's have said there needs to be one...........Like I said its a prediction. Thats why I said "ALMOST".

If you'd said "fairly likely" (and maybe then added "after the new PM has been in for ~6 months"), I'd be agreeing with you.

That you presented it as "almost confirmed" means something entirely different and misleading.
Original post by Drewski
If you'd said "fairly likely" (and maybe then added "after the new PM has been in for ~6 months":wink:, I'd be agreeing with you.

That you presented it as "almost confirmed" means something entirely different and misleading.

Ok, oh guru of the English language, please tell me the exact difference quoting the English dictionary about the definitions of the two.

I said almost confirmed with the fact that the amount of MP's from nearly all party's have said that a general election is most likely in some way or form.

Of course I mean after both leaders of the Tory and Labour partys have been picked.....and of course it would most probably be 6 months after the leadership contests are over (I thought that was obvious......).

misleading to what?
Reply 54
Original post by mrITguy
Has he? where? regardless it is for the next PM to decide.

Yes the act stops that from happening, but if nearly all of parliament (forgot the percentage) then a early general election can be called.

Thats exactly why its in the Tory's interests to hold one......and both labour and Tory's must think they have the advantage, otherwise they would say no.

I was in the gallery for the live debate, you might be able to watch it later on BBC parliament, or google it. And they can either repeal it (Cameron wouldn't approve of that, he said he likes the act) or a motion of no confidence but I doubt that cus Labour MPs would be risking their seats

Although it could work in their favour, a general election isn't the way to go when you need to be focusing on negotiations, they have way too much to be held accountable for and a Gen election will give people the chance, it could go the wrong way and I think after this referendum it's the last thing they want to risk considering they barely won in 2015 as well
Original post by zayn008
I was in the gallery for the live debate, you might be able to watch it later on BBC parliament, or google it. And they can either repeal it (Cameron wouldn't approve of that, he said he likes the act) or a motion of no confidence but I doubt that cus Labour MPs would be risking their seats

Although it could work in their favour, a general election isn't the way to go when you need to be focusing on negotiations, they have way too much to be held accountable for and a Gen election will give people the chance, it could go the wrong way and I think after this referendum it's the last thing they want to risk considering they barely won in 2015 as well

Alright and ye the funny thing is though, there are more remain mp's than leave mp's and so they cannot be trusted to negotiate on our behalf (some have said they will try an block us leaving the eu).

Having a general election would I think resolve and should put down the revolts facing the new leaders. However, like you said it could go the other way, in that remain voters vote for a party who wants to keep them in the EU (lib dems...)
Reply 56
Completely agree with an election. Tory landslide here we come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
As a remain voter I am bitter about leaving the eu but the leavers won fair and square. That's democracy. If we hold a 2nd referendum we may as well hold a few more and make it best out of 5. I think voter apathy and ignorance is no excuse , if you choose not to vote and not to care then you deserve the worst outcome possible whatever that may be
At the end of the day a referendum is a two way vote and it doesn't really give us any idea of what kind of country we want to live in.

We have decided to leave the EU but now we should get to decide who leads us out of it and who dictates how it is done. Do we really want Gove, Johnson, IDS, Patel and Farage to decide our destiny?
I personally would have trusted Cameron more than these guys but that' not an option now. The Scots and Northern Irish will finally be able to decide if they want to be a part of the UK or not. Let's decide what kind of country we want post-eu Britain to be

No, we need to cool off for a bit. Work things out a bit. Get some balance back and a sense of how this thing is going to play out. Labour needs to get itself back in order. I know the results of the referendum were devastating but we need to remain calm and rational.
Reply 58
Original post by mrITguy
Alright and ye the funny thing is though, there are more remain mp's than leave mp's and so they cannot be trusted to negotiate on our behalf (some have said they will try an block us leaving the eu).

Having a general election would I think resolve and should put down the revolts facing the new leaders. However, like you said it could go the other way, in that remain voters vote for a party who wants to keep them in the EU (lib dems...)

If we get Theresa May (most likely) or Boris Johnson they'll lead negotiations with best efforts, any attempt from the remain side to sabotage it will likely lead to them having no influence. The remain camp should now be looking at how they can retain access to the single market. Scotland should be thankful for the UK single market more than the EU single market. We cannot and will not go back to the EU, they've accepted the results and said there's no turning back and we did too, we could have a deal that creates more opportunities for this country and that's what we should be looking for

Having a general election will complicate things, more broken promises, more lies, more secrets. It's also worth noting the new EU unit that's been set up for moving forward from brexit, it will consist of top advisors & civil servants with close connections to the best private sector resources ensuring we get a fair and the best outcome
(edited 7 years ago)
The last thing that the country needs now is a shakeup of leadership honestly, just let boris run the country for the rest of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending