AQA Physics PHYA5 - 28th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by splashywill
-thermionic emission
-magnetic lens - condenses electron been towards sample
-(sample)
-objective lens - deflects and inverts scattered electrons
-(Inverted first image)
-microscopic lens- focuses on centre of first image and inverts into high resolution final image
-(final image)

-limitations
- Thickness of the sample can cause the electron beam to slow down therefore reducing de broglie wavelength and worsening resolution
- uneven thickness of sample can cause different amounts of diffraction for electron beam therefore making the distorting final image.

(I did this mainly for my own revision... but this is pretty much all you need to learn about them)

Thanks😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AQATrolledMe
Damn i never thought of that :tongue:, anxiety gonna kill me, we better have something amazing to do in summer

I've got some trip plans but I'll definitely be still moaning about my results, just like last year lol. I can never distract myself enough
ASTROPHYSICS

Would it be possible for a 6 mark question on how supernovae form? Or the lifecycle of our sun?
Any ideas for the 6 markers for the main paper or medical physics?
Reply 524
Why doesn't the electron simply spiral inwards to the nucleus
Original post by C0balt
I've got some trip plans but I'll definitely be still moaning about my results, just like last year lol. I can never distract myself enough

well, I wish you the best of luck tomorrow :crossedf:
Original post by veldt127
Any ideas for the 6 markers for the main paper or medical physics?

Medical physics- hopefully about biopotentials, I don't think that's been a six marker since 2010 :smile:. There's a medical thread by the way if you have questions :smile:
Original post by AQATrolledMe
well, I wish you the best of luck tomorrow :crossedf:

Same to you man
I hope your username doesn't become true :tongue:
Original post by particlestudent
Medical physics- hopefully about biopotentials, I don't think that's been a six marker since 2010 :smile:. There's a medical thread by the way if you have questions :smile:

cheers
Original post by marcusman97
ASTROPHYSICS

Would it be possible for a 6 mark question on how supernovae form? Or the lifecycle of our sun?

6 marker on the lifecyle of a star or formation of a red giant would be a gift. Hope something like this comes up
Anyone else doing Applied physics? Any tips?
Original post by TajwarC
6 marker on the lifecyle of a star or formation of a red giant would be a gift. Hope something like this comes up

Could you outline this for me please???
Original post by Ainsleyy

That is literally everything you need to know about CCDs.

Heycan you help me on question 1 aii) I was thinking of using theta = R/d, with R being 1 AU and d with the distance provided, but this results in an incorrect answer, isn't that what I'm supposed to do for parallax? I really don't understand why the mark scheme used s = r*theta :frown:

Question: http://prntscr.com/blswf1
Answer:http://prntscr.com/blswku
Original post by arrow_h

Is it on the spec though? Nothing has ever really appeared in past papers
Reply 534
Original post by d14m
Why doesn't the electron simply spiral inwards to the nucleus

Quantum physics, isn't necessary at all for the exam.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/science/inquiring/questions/bob.html
unit 5.JPG
Original post by marcusman97
Is it on the spec though? Nothing has ever really appeared in past papers

Not sure... this is what the spec says
Original post by arrow_h

Formation:
-stars formed in gas clouds such as nebulae
-the dust particles are attracted towards eachother by gravity
-they form a clump which heats up as it gets more massive
-eventually forming a protostar
-as the core heats up, hydrogen can fuse into helium, this is when the star is a main sequence star
-the outward pressure of the large amounts of energy released by hydrogen fusion prevents the star from collapsing under its own gravity

Formation of a Red Giant
-the hydrogen in the core beings to run out. As the Hydrogen to helium core burning stops, the star expands and the outer layers (shells) cool down (this is when the star becomes red)
-the core heats up enough to allow helium to oxygen and carbon core burning.
-Hydrogen to helium shell burning occurs.
-Once the helium in the core runs out, Helium to oxygen and carbon shell burning occurs.
-In lower mass stars the core will not heat up to allow any more fusion so it contracts under its own gravity (this is eventually stopped due to electron degeneracy pressure) and into a white dwarf where it will continue to cool and fade away

-In a large star the gravity will cause it to contract more than in the above example (electron degeneracy pressure cannot prevent more contraction in this case) and will cause an explosion i.e. a supernova.
-leaving behind a black hole or neutron star

pls be on the spec I didn't memorise all of that for nothing lmao
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone doing Turning Points feel like they're ****ed? the mark schemes are soo specific
Original post by cjlh
Anyone doing Turning Points feel like they're ****ed? the mark schemes are soo specific

yes :frown:
Original post by Patrick Gekko
yes :frown:

I haven't been able to revise properly until tonight due to FP3 and S2 as well so I'm so far behind. Any ideas what to focus on? I'm so so screwed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending