The Student Room Group

Should voting be compulsory?

What do people think?
Theoretically a good idea so why don't we have such a system?

~thoughts?~
Reply 1
Absolutely not. If one wishes not to be represented, then indeed they shouldn't be. They also shouldn't complain about anything.
Forcing votes would lead to disastrous results as you'll get people who know nothing about anything voting in things they probably don't understand or believe in in the first place. Absolutely not.
While you can't necessarily force someone to vote in a certain election or referendum, it's a good idea to make voting compulsory. I reckon the only reason why people don't vote in the first place, is because of all this waste of time signing up bullcrap so that you can vote - by the time you do so, you just don't want to vote anymore - and I am strictly against that. It's a simple barrier put on by the government to make people think "Oh I'm not gonna do all that, it's a waste of time" so they can sway the results of the vote in their personal favor. This is a fact, so don't deny it.
Reply 3
No. Only I should be allowed to vote.
Original post by oShahpo
Absolutely not. If one wishes not to be represented, then indeed they shouldn't be. They also shouldn't complain about anything.
Forcing votes would lead to disastrous results as you'll get people who know nothing about anything voting in things they probably don't understand or believe in in the first place. Absolutely not.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions and everything but when it comes to voting you should use it to your own advantage rather than blaming it on those who did bother to get out and vote.
Reply 5
Original post by Boreism
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions and everything but when it comes to voting you should use it to your own advantage rather than blaming it on those who did bother to get out and vote.

I am talking about people who don't vote, then end up complaining about the 'political elite' and how they're not taking care of you. Well, perhaps if you bothered to go and vote for someone who isn't an elitist, things would have been better.
Original post by oShahpo
I am talking about people who don't vote, then end up complaining about the 'political elite' and how they're not taking care of you. Well, perhaps if you bothered to go and vote for someone who isn't an elitist, things would have been better.

Exactly my point. No point throwing childish tantrums with possible intellectual political 'expertise.'
Reply 7
Yes and if you dont wanna vote just spoil your ballot.
Reply 8
Australia uses this system. They'd argue it hasn't really improved the national debate.
Reply 9
I didn't vote in the last referendum deliberately - both campaigning sides were terrible, with hardly a fact between them. My vote would have been a misinformed one. Had the vote been forced, I would have checked the "leave" box and call it a day!

So no. Voting is a choice. Not voting is a choice. If you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain about the results!
Original post by Another
I didn't vote in the last referendum deliberately - both campaigning sides were terrible, with hardly a fact between them. My vote would have been a misinformed one. Had the vote been forced, I would have checked the "leave" box and call it a day!

So no. Voting is a choice. Not voting is a choice. If you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain about the results!

You try telling that to those who are complaining because they didn't bother to vote!
Original post by Boreism
You try telling that to those who are complaining because they didn't bother to vote!

Who then blame the results on "old white people who are ruining our country again", for actually exercising their right to vote.

Granted, most are under some belief that eastern Europeans will pack their bags to leave and never return. I think that voting ballots should have a section for "explain your reasoning" no matter what you vote. That way, if your reasoning is plainly incorrect, then the vote is nullified.
Original post by oShahpo

And how am I supposed to do that?

I hate the Conservative party, I have major problems with Labour (especially under Corbyn) and the Lib Dems are totally discredited anyway. That leaves me with anti-environmentalist and climate change denying UKIP and the Green party who want to stop air strikes on ISIS and legalise membership of terrorist groups. Most other options are joke and fringe parties no one cares about like Britain First or that Christian one I've heard about once.

Give me a credible non elitist option to vote for and I will vote for it. Until that happens I will not vote in a general election other than spoiling my ballot. I still have every right to complain about political issues and about the political "elite".

With referendums where you're choosing whether or not to do something, I can understand this "don't vote, can't complain" thing (like non voters complaining about the referendum result). But not with general elections which are a different thing completely and where many people are not happy with any of the options on the table.
I think many more people would vote if it could be done online. But that would be open to lots of problems such as hacking.
No. You don't want politics to become a chore for people..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending