The Student Room Group

Could anyone solve this please

Any help will be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Freddy-Francis
Any help will be appreciated :smile:

Split the integral like so: cosn(2x)dx=cosn2(2x)cos22xdx=cosn2(2x)(1sin22x)dx\displaystyle \int \cos^n (2x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^{n-2} (2x) \cos^2 2x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^{n-2} (2x) (1-\sin^2 2x) \, \mathrm{d}x.

Then this is basically just: In=cosn2(2x)dxsin22xcosn22xdxI_n = \int \cos^{n-2} (2x) \, \mathrm{d}x - \int \sin^2 2x \cos^{n-2} 2x \, \mathrm{d}x

The latter term can be tackled via IBP with u=sin2xu = \sin 2x and dv=sin2xcosn22x\mathrm{d}v = \sin 2x \cos^{n-2} 2x
Original post by Zacken
Split the integral like so: cosn(2x)dx=cosn2(2x)cos22xdx=cosn2(2x)(1sin22x)dx\displaystyle \int \cos^n (2x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^{n-2} (2x) \cos^2 2x \, \mathrm{d}x = \int \cos^{n-2} (2x) (1-\sin^2 2x) \, \mathrm{d}x.

Then this is basically just: In=cosn2(2x)dxsin22xcosn22xdxI_n = \int \cos^{n-2} (2x) \, \mathrm{d}x - \int \sin^2 2x \cos^{n-2} 2x \, \mathrm{d}x

The latter term can be tackled via IBP with u=sin2xu = \sin 2x and dv=sin2xcosn22x\mathrm{d}v = \sin 2x \cos^{n-2} 2x

oh ok thanks :smile: Can you do d for me please if you have time.
Reply 3
Original post by Freddy-Francis
oh ok thanks :smile: Can you do d for me please if you have time.

I'm not going to do it for you, but think - you want to make the x^n become x^(n-1) so the obvious thing to do is to differentiate that. Furthermore, you know that e^x is its own integral and derivative. So the obvious thing to do is to use IBP with u=xnu = x^{n} and dv=ex\mathrm{d}v = e^x.

Quick Reply

Latest