The Student Room Group

Oxford physics further maths

my school doesnt offer further maths and so im stuck deciding if i can do it on my own next year or not because i follow the reformns so all my exams are next year at the start of the year oxford do say it snot a requirement to apply but can help while in university. I really dont want to take AS furhter maths and spread myself too thin as oxford say
Original post by NatoHeadshot
my school doesnt offer further maths and so im stuck deciding if i can do it on my own next year or not because i follow the reformns so all my exams are next year at the start of the year oxford do say it snot a requirement to apply but can help while in university. I really dont want to take AS furhter maths and spread myself too thin as oxford say

If you're concerned that you won't be able to deal with the workload of taking AS Further Maths on top of your A2s next year (although do bear in mind that AS Further Maths isn't much worse than AS Maths and I'd argue it's considerably easier than A2 Maths) then have you considered self-teaching it over the vacation after Year 13? Basically, if you get in, they will send you a list of topics that they expect you to have looked at and understand before you actually start the course so going through AS Further Maths over the summer (and possibly FP2/FP3, particularly the stuff on differential equations) might be something you could consider to put yourself in a stronger position to start with.
Original post by Plagioclase
If you're concerned that you won't be able to deal with the workload of taking AS Further Maths on top of your A2s next year (although do bear in mind that AS Further Maths isn't much worse than AS Maths and I'd argue it's considerably easier than A2 Maths) then have you considered self-teaching it over the vacation after Year 13? Basically, if you get in, they will send you a list of topics that they expect you to have looked at and understand before you actually start the course so going through AS Further Maths over the summer (and possibly FP2/FP3, particularly the stuff on differential equations) might be something you could consider to put yourself in a stronger position to start with.

i do not mind studying it if i get in of course its just i was really on the fence or even scared about if i needed it to get in, in the first place. I do undetstand the pat is a large indicator of a student's potenial but i dont want them to think im less able just because my school wont let me take further maths
i do not mind studying it if i get in of course its just i was really on the fence or even scared about if i needed it to get in, in the first place. I do undetstand the pat is a large indicator of a student's potenial but i dont want them to think im less able just because my school wont let me take further maths

They're perfectly aware that some schools don't offer Further Maths (this is something I recommend you ask your school to put in your reference, though, because there is an informal expectation for you to take it if it is offered) so you don't need it. The PAT is highly mathematical but it only relies on content from AS Maths so it's more about your mastery of the material rather than the quantity you know. If you're good enough at maths then there's no reason why not having A Level Further Maths would stop you getting an offer.
They're perfectly aware that some schools don't offer Further Maths (this is something I recommend you ask your school to put in your reference, though, because there is an informal expectation for you to take it if it is offered) so you don't need it. The PAT is highly mathematical but it only relies on content from AS Maths so it's more about your mastery of the material rather than the quantity you know. If you're good enough at maths then there's no reason why not having A Level Further Maths would stop you getting an offer.

thing is im looking at these students that study and its making me feel like i should probably take AS furhter maths
currently without id have alevels in Maths, chemistry and physics
problem would be that now that i have decided late i could do the furher maths AS exam next year but because my school doesnt offer it my teacher has said she cant really give me a predicted grade on it and dont you think that having a predicted grade in it would be important when applying?
Thank you youve been a great help

here is the link to some of these students they were showing https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/meet-our-students/student-profile-rachael
thing is im looking at these students that study and its making me feel like i should probably take AS furhter maths
problem would be that now that i have decided late i could do the furher maths AS exam next year but because my school doesnt offer it my teacher has said she cant really give me a predicted grade on it and dont you think that having a predicted grade in it would be important when applying?

Maybe try to learn it over the holidays or move to a school that offers it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I have two friends with offers for physics at oxford. one has further maths and will likely get straight A*s, the other has standard maths and no further maths, and is only going to do some fp1 over the summer after year 13. further maths isn't essential as you said, but very useful, but a great interview and PAT would mean an offer I believe, regardless of the f.maths.in my opinion, having done f maths myself and doing physics at a different university, learning fp1, d1, and m2 or s2 would not be that tricky, the real challenges are fp2 and fp3.
Original post by tas1998
I have two friends with offers for physics at oxford. one has further maths and will likely get straight A*s, the other has standard maths and no further maths, and is only going to do some fp1 over the summer after year 13. further maths isn't essential as you said, but very useful, but a great interview and PAT would mean an offer I believe, regardless of the f.maths.in my opinion, having done f maths myself and doing physics at a different university, learning fp1, d1, and m2 or s2 would not be that tricky, the real challenges are fp2 and fp3.

your friend wihtout further maths how what alevles/AS does he take?
Reply 9
I am absolutely sure that for chemistry you do not need Further Maths... and we know that Chemistry can require some complicated maths (and they also cover the quantum physics part). I know people that were able to get to Oxford with Math SL (7) which is slightly less demanding than A level Maths.
I think that Further Maths is not absolutely necessary for Physics. maybe you can do an advance course of Maths during the summer and you can mention that in your PS.
Usually physics students have Maths/ Further Maths/ Chem/ Physics
Original post by BioOx
I am absolutely sure that for chemistry you do not need Further Maths... and we know that Chemistry can require some complicated maths (and they also cover the quantum physics part). I know people that were able to get to Oxford with Math SL (7) which is slightly less demanding than A level Maths.
I think that Further Maths is not absolutely necessary for Physics. maybe you can do an advance course of Maths during the summer and you can mention that in your PS.
Usually physics students have Maths/ Further Maths/ Chem/ Physics

did you mean phusics instead of chemsitry at that start
i am taking three alevels of chem phyx and maths
so i know they only require three but seeing as i only take three maybe i should strongly consider AS further maths at least
Reply 11
When I said chemistry I meant Chemistry, when I said physics I meant Physics.
Honestly, I do not know. if you are able to carry that extra burden... go ahead . You will certainly benefit from it , especially if you get an A*. Just be aware , you need the predicted grade.

Well of course most successful applicants will offer Further Maths, it's a highly desirable subject for the course. That doesn't mean that it's a strict requirement. If you think you'd be able to take AS Further Maths next year without messing up your other A2s, I would recommend it. However, you need a predicted grade for it, I'm pretty sure that you have to have predicted grades for all exams you state you are going to take on your UCAS application. So you will need to speak to your teacher about that.
Reply 13
your friend wihtout further maths how what alevles/AS does he take?
A2: Latin, Chemistry, Maths, Physics AS: Critical Thinking note - no one has to take four a levels at our school, but he knew that if he took latin through year 13, he could mess up chemistry or maths and still meet his offer.
Hello there !
I applied for physics last year and got an offer eventually. I did not do further maths nor did i even hint that i was planning to do it. ( eventually i self studied it though )
I would say that further maths isn't that important, the most important part is the PAT. while the PAT does contain a lot of maths it will not contain f.maths topics ( mostly AS Maths ). The most important thing is your ability to solve non-routine problems/weird problems. So just get on that and you should be good to go !
You should also not be afraid of 'lagging' behind at the beginning at Oxford because they actually do send you some work before you come so that you can catch up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending