The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MM2B Mechanics 2 – 27th June 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

How did it go everyone? Was it better than last year's?
I'd be willing to answer any questions if anyone can remember them
Reply 262
Original post by rainbowtwist
Anyone else get this for the separation of variables question? (I think it was Q6b)ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467041052.503698.jpg

There is an unnoficial mark scheme up just in case you hadn't seen btw.
Yeah that's correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 263
Original post by Pentaquark

How many marks would i lose :s (7 marker)
I've got my friction on the wall the wrong way up hence
2u^2 +1 /4u not 1-2u^2/4

I got that but I had my friction the right way round haha I'm not sure where I went wrong
Reply 264
Original post by jjsnyder
correct answer is 12μ24μ\frac{1-2\mu^2}{4\mu}

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be alright if u left it as 2 separate fractions righy
Reply 265
Original post by A Slice of Pi

I'd say every so slightly better than last years, due to the last questions of last year's paper haha.. Nice energy question at the end on a slope with two strings & friction
Original post by Jm098
I'd say every so slightly better than last years, due to the last questions of last year's paper haha.. Nice energy question at the end on a slope with two strings & friction

If you remember any questions I could have a go at a few.

Last year's was a bit easier apart from the last question. This year's had more difficulty overall but grade boundaries likely higher.
Can anyone do a worked solution for the moments question?
Reply 269
IMG_1609.jpg

does anyone agree?
Original post by naro.n
IMG_1609.jpg

does anyone agree?

I got the same as you for the tan question, but everyone else seem to have got different
Reply 271
Original post by maisym00
I got the same as you for the tan question, but everyone else seem to have got different

Yeah I think we got that wrong :frown:
What about the other questions?
Original post by naro.n
Yeah I think we got that wrong :frown:
What about the other questions?

Q6 seems wrong, you had 1/lambda
But the circular motion seems familiar
Did anyone else get 7.58m for the last one?
Original post by KirstyG_psbkj
Did anyone else get 7.58m for the last one?

I did 😊 Quadratic equation gave 2 solns as 4 and 7.58. 4 was the initial displacement from Q so I THINK 7.58 is correct
Original post by SallyElizabeth1
I did 😊 Quadratic equation gave 2 solns as 4 and 7.58. 4 was the initial displacement from Q so I THINK 7.58 is correct

Thank God, that's what I got as well! Was a bit nervous because everyone from my college got different answers for that last one!
Original post by Jm098

Actually much preferred 2015s last question, that was really easy.

Didn't like this year's last question since all the stupid extension stuff meant that I got nonreal roots like 5 times and even when I did get real roots I still had the wrong expression for the extension (x-6 instead of x-5) so got it wrong.
Was fundamentally easy nonetheless.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Actually much preferred 2015s last question, that was really easy.

Didn't like this year's last question since all the stupid extension stuff meant that I got nonreal roots like 5 times and even when I did get real roots I still had the wrong expression for the extension (x-6 instead of x-5) so got it wrong.
Was fundamentally easy nonetheless.

Coming from someone who did the paper last year, the last question was definitely not easy under exam conditions. It was very messy! I haven't seen this years, although it sounds like a long energy question. These aren't too bad as long as you remember that EPE is (lambda*e^2)/(2l) and not (lambda*e)/(2l) or (lambda*e^2)/(l). I think that's where mistakes can creep in. Do you end up with a quadratic or something after equating energies? There was one like that a few year ago about a rollercoaster car I think.
Coming from someone who did the paper last year, the last question was definitely not easy under exam conditions. It was very messy! I haven't seen this years, although it sounds like a long energy question. These aren't too bad as long as you remember that EPE is (lambda*e^2)/(2l) and not (lambda*e)/(2l) or (lambda*e^2)/(l). I think that's where mistakes can creep in. Do you end up with a quadratic or something after equating energies? There was one like that a few year ago about a rollercoaster car I think.

Last years question was simple resolving vertically and horizontally and taking moments, then a bit of algebra to get the result, I don't really know what one what find hard about that.
This paper's Q wasn't bad either, but the mistakes come in with the sheer number of different places you could slip up.
Yeah you end up with a quadratic.
Reply 279
Did people get v=1λ[g(gλu)eλt]v = \dfrac{1}{\lambda}\left[g-(g-\lambda u)e^{-\lambda t}\right] or equivalent for 6)b)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending